Location of Marengo in the state of Indiana
|• Total||0.77 sq mi (1.99 km2)|
|• Land||0.77 sq mi (1.99 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||597 ft (182 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||816|
|• Density||1,075/sq mi (415.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0451197|
Marengo is a town in Liberty Township, Crawford County, Indiana, United States. The population was 828 at the 2010 census. One of the tourist attractions and sources of revenue for the town is Marengo Cave, a U.S. National Landmark. Originally discovered in 1883 by two schoolchildren, today it offers guided tours.
Marengo is located at (38.370579, -86.343425).
According to the 2010 census, Marengo has a total area of 0.77 square miles (1.99 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 828 people, 354 households, and 213 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,075.3 inhabitants per square mile (415.2/km2). There were 408 housing units at an average density of 529.9 per square mile (204.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 95.4% White, 0.1% African American, 0.8% Native American, 0.5% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 354 households of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.8% were married couples living together, 15.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.8% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.02.
The median age in the town was 36.2 years. 26.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 10.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24% were from 25 to 44; 24% were from 45 to 64; and 14.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 47.8% male and 52.2% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 829 people, 363 households, and 218 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,083.5 people per square mile (415.7/km²). There were 403 housing units at an average density of 526.7 per square mile (202.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.31% White, 0.24% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 0.60% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.09% of the population.
There were 363 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.9% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,542, and the median income for a family was $32,019. Males had a median income of $27,109 versus $19,211 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,194. About 13.6% of families and 23.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.9% of those under age 18 and 26.1% of those age 65 or over.
- The movie Madison (2001), starring Jim Caviezel and Jake Lloyd, shot a scene in downtown Marengo.
- The movie Fire from Below (2008), starring Kevin Sorbo, filmed at Marengo Cave.
- The Marengo Warehouse and Distribution Center, an underground facility, has space leased by the United States Department of Defense as well as the Centers for Disease Control, whose contract specified that the contents of their space did not have to be revealed to the warehouse management.
Points of interest
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Cottman, George Streiby; Coleman, Christopher Bush; Esarey, Logan (1921). Indiana Magazine of History. p. 239.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 210. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...Marengo, after one of Napoleon's great victories...
- Small Indiana town rallies to surmount a tornado's wrath, by Patrik Jonsson, The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved on 2008-06-28.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Courier Press. Retrieved on 2008-06-09