5 May 1980
Halifax, West Yorkshire, England
|Partner(s)||Charley Webb (2007–13, 2014–)|
Wolfenden was a member of the British gymnastics squad until, aged 16, he fell whilst practising on the rings and broke his back. This prevented his continuing gymnastics and he turned to acting.
Wolfenden plays David Metcalfe, son of Eric Pollard, in ITV's Emmerdale. His first acting job was as an extra on the programme, later he originally auditioned for the role of Eli Dingle, but lost out to Joseph Gilgun; then he was called back for the role of David Metcalfe.
Hollyoaks: Let Loose
Dancing on Ice
Wolfenden was partnered with Russian ice dancer Nina Ulanova for the seventh series of Dancing on Ice. His gymnastic and dance background proved to be an advantage and he ended up in the final, against Hollyoaks actress Jorgie Porter and The X Factor contestant Chico Slimani. Wolfenden continued his role in Emmerdale while training for Dancing on Ice. Matthew became the King of the Ice after beating Porter.
Wolfenden has appeared on several chat shows with various co-stars including Natalie Anderson and Fiona Wade. On 7 January 2014, Wolfenden provided the soap news on ITV's This Morning, a topic usually covered by journalist and writer Sharon Marshall.
On 12 April 2015 Wolfenden appeared on a celebrity special of the game show The Chase. He advanced to the final of game with fellow contestant Lesley Joseph and they won the show, taking home £5500 each for their respective charities of choice, Wolfenden's being Speak Up, a charity for adults' with learning disabilities.
Wolfenden was previously engaged to his Emmerdale co-star Charley Webb and the couple have two children: a son, Buster Lawrence Wolfenden, born on 3 April 2010, and a second child, Bowie Grey Wolfenden, born on 19 December 2015. Wolfenden proposed to Webb on Christmas Day in 2009. The couple split in August 2013 but have decided to remain friends in order to make life easier for their child. Although since then, the couple have reconciled. They have since had another child.
Awards and nominations
- British Soap Award For Sexiest Male 2012 - Nominated - (Top 4 voted by the viewers, and lost out to Scott Maslen)
- "'Emmerdale' Stars Charley Webb And Matthew Wolfenden Split". The Huffington Post UK. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "David Metcalfe". itv.com.
- "Matthew Wolfenden". TV.com. CBS Interactive.
- metrowebukmetro. "Soapstar Superstar top moments - Metro News". Metro.
- Nina Ulanova
- "Great North Run". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Green, Kris (6 April 2010). "Emmerdale's Charley Webb gives birth". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- Fitzmaurice, Sarah (7 August 2013). "'They will remain friends and are focusing on their little boy': Emmerdale couple Charley Webb and Matthew Wolfenden announce split". Daily Mail. London.