Maya Jane Coles
|Maya Jane Coles|
|Also known as||Nocturnal Sunshine|
|Born||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Deep house, tech house, electronica, trip hop, dubstep|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, audio engineer, DJ|
|Labels||Dogmatik, 1trax, Real Tone, Hypercolour, Mobilee, I/Am/Me, 20:20 Vision, Kobalt|
|Associated acts||She Is Danger|
Maya Jane Coles is a music producer, audio engineer and DJ based in the United Kingdom, born in London of British and Japanese descent. Under her real name, she mostly composes and plays house music, while her alias Nocturnal Sunshine is dedicated to dubstep. She also takes part in an electronic dub duo called She Is Danger with Lena Cullen.
- 1 Debut
- 2 Breakthrough
- 3 Discography
- 4 Music videos
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Maya declares she started to have a passion for music in early teens and decided to learn how to produce music using the Cubase software program when she was fifteen. She first produced hip-hop and trip hop. A few years later, she released her first two records on Dogmatik Records, in 2008 and 2009, which were more house music based.
Having already remixed acts such as Massive Attack and Gorillaz with her duo She Is Danger, Maya gained her breakthrough exposure in 2010, when she released a four-track EP on Franck Roger's label, Real Tone Records. She was then named by DJ Mag as one of the best newcomers that year, as her track "What They Say", taken from the eponymous EP, was also one of the most playlisted by DJs on Resident Advisor.
In 2011, she featured on many specialised magazines' covers like Mixmag's, and her growing fame opened new doors, such as the BBC's, which invited her to record an Essential Mix of her own which was later nominated for Essential Mix of the Year 2011. Later on that year, she was voted ‘Best Newcomer 2011′ at the Ibiza DJ Awards 2011 and came ninth place in Resident Advisor's annual DJ ranking.
In 2012, Maya won 'Best House/Garage/Deep House' track at the Miami Winter Music Conference 2012, 'Staff Pick: Artist of the year 2011' at the Beatport Awards, DJ Mag's ‘Producer of the Year 2011′, Mixmag's ‘Best Breakthrough DJ 2011′, FACT's 'Female Artist 2011', and Symphonic Distribution's 'Artist Of The Year 2012' 
Later in the year, Maya Jane Coles was invited to record a mix for the DJ Kicks collection. The volume she has produced was released in April, and obtained a favourable reception from specialised media. In November, Rolling Stone places Maya Jane Coles at the fifteenth rank of its world's 25 most influential DJs list.
Maya was later invited back to record a second BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix in 2013.
Maya's début album Comfort was on her own I/AM/ME label and Kobalt Label Services internationally in summer 2013. It featured guest appearances from artists such as Tricky, Miss Kittin, Nadine Shah, Alpines, Thomas Knights and Karin Park.
In late-2014, the title track of Coles' 2010 EP What They Say gained a re-surge in popularity after it was sampled in the Nicki Minaj song "Truffle Butter", a collaborative track with Drake and Lil Wayne from her album The Pinkprint.
As Maya Jane Coles
- 01. Comfort
- 02. Easier To Hide
- 03. Burning Bright feat. Kim Ann Foxman
- 04. Dreamer
- 05. Blame feat. Nadine Shah
- 06. Stranger
- 07. Everything feat. Karin Park
- 08. Fall From Grace feat. Catherine Pockson
- 09. Wait For You feat. Tricky
- 10. When I'm In Love feat. Thomas Knights
- 11. Take A Ride feat. Miss Kittin
- 12. Come Home
|DJ-Kicks: Maya Jane Coles|
|1.||"Deft – Loqux & Past"|
|2.||"Kris Wadsworth – Mainline (Jimmy Edgar Remix)"|
|3.||"Chasing Kurt – Money"|
|4.||"Bozzwell – In My Cocoon"|
|5.||"Larse – Karoo"|
|6.||"Milscot feat. Angela Sheik – All Alone (Domyan Just Slow Remix)"|
|7.||"Adam Stacks – Hey Love"|
|8.||"Phil Kieran & White Noise Sound – Never Believed"|
|9.||"Sigward – Nuerd"|
|10.||"Maya Jane Coles – Not Listening"|
|11.||"Virgo Four – It’s A Crime (Caribou Remix)"|
|12.||"Roberto Bardini – Hate Me (Muteoscillator Fairy Tall Remix)"|
|13.||"Tripmastaz – Guess Who"|
|14.||"Standard Fair – Little Helper 16-3"|
|15.||"Nocturnal Sunshine – Meant To Be"|
|16.||"Zenker Brothers – Berg 10"|
|17.||"Last Magpie – No More Stories"|
|18.||"Zoe Zoe – Church"|
|19.||"Gerry Read – Roomland (Youandewan Remix)"|
|20.||"T. Williams – Analog Tour"|
|21.||"Marcel Dettmann – Translation Two"|
|22.||"Claro Intelecto – Hunter’s Rocket To The Sky"|
Originals & Extended plays
|2008||Sick Panda||Dogmatik Records|
|2009||Monochrome EP||Dogmatik Records|
|2009||The Dazed EP||1TRAX|
|2009||Not In My House EP||1TRAX|
|2010||No Sympathy||Elite Records|
|2010||Bubbler EP||Loco Records Supreme|
|2010||What They Say||Real Tone Records||Resident Advisor |
|2010||Cool Down EP||Dogmatik Records|
|2010||Humming Bird EP||Hypercolour|
|2011||Focus Now||20:20 Vision||Resident Advisor |
|2011||The Remixes||Real Tone Records|
|2011||Dont Put Me In Your Box EP||Hypercolour||Resident Advisor |
|2012||Getting Freaky||Heidi presents... Jackathon Jams|
|2012||Easier To Hide||I/AM/ME|
|2014||From the Dark||Mobilee Records|
|2008||New System (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Chris Ibbot||Dogmatik|
|2008||Fuck Me Pumps (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Amy Winehouse||Island|
|2008||Uncle Tech (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Todd Terry||1TRAX|
|2009||Romanov's Boogie (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||The Sun Paulo||Wisdom Records|
|2011||Cicadas (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Tom Middleton||Lo:Rise|
|2011||Crash (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Fritz & Lang ft. Lizokot||Airdrop Records|
|2011||Your Style (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Maceo Plex||Cross Town Rebels|
|2011||O' So (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Inxec & Mark Chambers||Leftroom Records|
|2011||Next To You (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Marvin Zeyss||Brown Eyed Boyz|
|2011||City Life (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||DJ T||Get Physical|
|2011||Ritual Union (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Little Dragon||Peacefrog|
|2011||Time To Dance (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Tricky||Domino|
|2011||Creeping (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||2:54||Fiction|
|2012||Bring It Back' (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Franck Rodger||Real Tone|
|2012||Lost and Found (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Lianne La Havas||Warners|
|2012||She's On Fire (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Bo Saris||Bo Rush|
|2012||Spectrum (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Florence & The Machine||Island Records|
|2013||Fiction (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||The xx||Young Turks|
|2013||So High (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Big Dope P||Moveltraxx|
|2013||Free ft. Emeli Sandé (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Rudimental||Asylum Records|
|2013||Blue Skies (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Ella Fitzgerald||Verve Records|
|2013||First Fires ft. Grey Reverend (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Bonobo||Ninja Tune|
|2014||Pray For Love (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Kwabs||Atlantic Records|
|2015||Hurricane ft. Pandora Drive (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Karin Park||State of the Eye|
As Nocturnal Sunshine
2015: Nocturnal Sunshine
- 01. Intro (Holding On)
- 02. Believe feat. Chelou
- 03. It's Alright
- 04. Take Me There
- 05. Drive
- 06. Footsteps
- 07. Down By The River feat. Catnapp
- 08. Bass Bin
- 09. Can't Hide The Way I Feel
- 10. Intergalactic
- 11. Skipper
- 12. Hotel
|2010||Can't Hide the Way I Feel||LMD SkunkWorks||Resident Advisor |
|2010||Meant To Be||!K7|
|2010||Not Your Teddy Bear (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Backwords||Elastica|
|2011||Ms Cooper (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Floyd Lavine ft. Mey||Polydor|
|2011||Cocoon (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Alpines||Polydor|
|2012||Pixellated People (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Jess Mills||Island|
As She is Danger
|2009||Under The Sheets (She is Danger Remix)||Ellie Goulding||Polydor|
|2010||Girl I Love You (She is Danger Remix)||Massive Attack||Virgin Records|
|2010||Gangster (She is Danger Remix)||Dreadzone||Dubwiser|
|2010||On Melancholy Hill (She is Danger Remix)||Gorillaz||Parlophone|
|2010||Doubt (She is Danger Remix)||Delphic||Polydor|
|2014||Comfort||Jonas K Lord|
|2014||Come Home||Jonas K Lord|
- "Maya Jane Coles: A young Londoner infuses tech-house with deep vibes and dubwise sounds". XLR8.com. 6 April 2011.
- Gareth Owen (1 March 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - What she says". Electronic Beats.
- IMO Records. "Maya Jane Coles Biography", IMO Records Retrieved on 25 June 2012.
- "Sound of 2011 - Maya Jane Coles". SoonNight.com.
- "She Is Danger remix credits". Discogs.
- "In Focus: Maya Jane Coles". DJ Mag.
- "Top 100 charted tracks in 2010". Resident Advisor.
- "Maya Jane Coles Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "Covers - May 2011". Mixmag.
- "Essential Mix - Maya Jane Coles". BBC Radio 1. 9 July 2011.
- "RA Poll: Top DJs of 2011". Resident Advisor. 6 December 2011.
- Will Lynch (6 February 2012). "Maya Jane Coles mixes DJ-Kicks". Resident Advisor.
- Andrew Ryce (17 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Resident Advisor.
Coles isn't concerned with exclusivity, nor staying particularly up to date with brand new tracks, and she doesn't need to be—her mixing carries enough personality to make it distinctive without any of that contextual baggage. It's not a particularly flashy or technically thrilling mix, it's just one of the UK's most intriguing young DJs at the peak of her powers, a well-timed snapshot of a burgeoning big name.
- Philip Sherburne (20 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Spin.
- "The 25 DJs That Rule the Earth". Rolling Stone. 9 November 2012.
- Tregoning, Jack. "Listen: Maya Jane Coles returns to the Essential Mix". inthemix.com.au. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Nicki Minaj feat. Drake and Lil Wayne's Truffle Butter sample of Maya Jane Coles's What They Say | WhoSampled
- James Lawrence (23 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Mixmag.
Varied, well thought-out and fresh.
- Philip Sherburne (23 November 2010). "Maya Jane Coles - What They Say". Resident Advisor.
- Greg Sawyer (20 May 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - Focus Now". Resident Advisor.
- Andrew Ryce (14 November 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - Don't Put Me In Your Box". Resident Advisor.
- The Debut Album from Nocturnal Sunshine (aka Maya Jane Coles) Nocturnalsunshine.co.uk.
- Andrew Ryce (1 December 2010). "Nocturnal Sunshine - Can't Hide the Way I Feel". Resident Advisor.
- "Maya Jane Coles 'Comfort' by Jonas K Lord". PromoNews. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Maya Jane Coles 'Come Home' by Jonas K Lord". PromoNews. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Nocturnal Sunshine Balances 'Darkness and Innocence' in 'Believe' Video". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 27, 2015.