Maya Jane Coles
Maya Jane Coles
|Also known as||Nocturnal Sunshine|
|Born||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Deep house, tech house, electronica, trip hop, dubstep|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, audio engineer, DJ|
|Labels||Dogmatik, 1trax, Real Tone, Hypercolour, Mobilee, I/Am/Me, 20:20 Vision, Kobalt|
|Associated acts||She Is Danger|
Maya Jane Coles is a music producer, audio engineer and DJ based in the United Kingdom, born in London of British and Japanese descent. Under her real name, she mostly composes and plays techno music, while her alias Nocturnal Sunshine creates darker, more bass-driven productions with a heavy hip-hop and dub influence. She was previously part of a electronic dub duo called She Is Danger with Lena Cullen.
- 1 Debut
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Music videos
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Maya declares she started to have a passion for music in early teens and decided to learn how to produce music using the Cubase software program when she was fifteen. She first produced hip-hop and trip hop. A few years later, she released her first two records on Dogmatik Records, in 2008 and 2009, which were more house music based.
Having already remixed acts such as Massive Attack and Gorillaz with her duo She Is Danger, Maya gained her breakthrough exposure in 2010, when she released a four-track EP on Franck Roger's label, Real Tone Records. She was then named by DJ Mag as one of the best newcomers that year, as her track "What They Say", taken from the eponymous EP, was also one of the most playlisted by DJs on Resident Advisor.
In 2011, she featured on many specialised magazines' covers like Mixmag's, and her growing fame opened new doors, such as the BBC's, which invited her to record an Essential Mix of her own which was later nominated for Essential Mix of the Year 2011. Later on that year, she was voted ‘Best Newcomer 2011′ at the Ibiza DJ Awards 2011 and came ninth place in Resident Advisor's annual DJ ranking.
In 2012, Maya won 'Best House/Garage/Deep House' track at the Miami Winter Music Conference 2012, 'Staff Pick: Artist of the year 2011' at the Beatport Awards, DJ Mag's ‘Producer of the Year 2011′, Mixmag's ‘Best Breakthrough DJ 2011′, FACT's 'Female Artist 2011', and Symphonic Distribution's 'Artist Of The Year 2012' 
Later in the year, Maya Jane Coles was invited to record a mix for the DJ Kicks collection. The volume she produced was released in April, and obtained a favourable reception from specialised media. In November, Rolling Stone places Maya Jane Coles at the fifteenth rank of its world's 25 most influential DJs list.
Maya was later invited back to record a second BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix in 2013.
Maya's début album Comfort was on her own I/AM/ME label and Kobalt Label Services internationally in summer 2013. It featured guest appearances from artists such as Tricky, Miss Kittin, Nadine Shah, Alpines, Thomas Knights and Karin Park.
In late-2014, the title track of Coles' 2010 EP What They Say gained a re-surge in popularity after it was sampled in the Nicki Minaj song "Truffle Butter", a collaborative track with Drake and Lil Wayne from her album The Pinkprint.
In 2017, Coles released her sophomore album Take Flight on her own label, I/AM/ME. The 24 track album peaked at number 37 in the overall UK albums chart during the week of release, number 26 in the Independent label chart and number 15 in the Billboard Dance and Electronic Album Sales Chart. The album received immense support, receiving a 72% score on Metacritic, gaining coverage from a number of high tier publications including Mixmag, Pitchfork and Billboard, as well as receiving DSP support such as a banner on the iTunes Electronic page, a spot in Spotify New Releases, Apple Music New Releases and was named Beatport Artist of the Week. Maya gained 2 ‘Essential New Tunes’ from Pete Tong on BBC Radio 1 for two of her singles from the album, ‘Cherry Bomb’ and ‘Trails’ and to top of her year, she won Best Album and Best Producer at the DJ Mag Best of British Awards 2017 off the back of her ‘Take Flight’ album. 
2017 also saw Maya gain a number of selected mix placements such as her Essential Mix, which was shortlisted for Essential Mix of the Year, Annie Mac’s Mini Mix, Channel 4 Best Before, Beats1 Mix as well as Radio 1 Live in Ibiza. Going into 2018 she also secured a British Airways exclusive mix with her full album also added in flight.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
As Maya Jane Coles
|DJ-Kicks: Maya Jane Coles|
|1.||"Deft – Loqux & Past"|
|2.||"Kris Wadsworth – Mainline (Jimmy Edgar Remix)"|
|3.||"Chasing Kurt – Money"|
|4.||"Bozzwell – In My Cocoon"|
|5.||"Larse – Karoo"|
|6.||"Milscot feat. Angela Sheik – All Alone (Domyan Just Slow Remix)"|
|7.||"Adam Stacks – Hey Love"|
|8.||"Phil Kieran & White Noise Sound – Never Believed"|
|9.||"Sigward – Nuerd"|
|10.||"Maya Jane Coles – Not Listening"|
|11.||"Virgo Four – It’s A Crime (Caribou Remix)"|
|12.||"Roberto Bardini – Hate Me (Muteoscillator Fairy Tall Remix)"|
|13.||"Tripmastaz – Guess Who"|
|14.||"Standard Fair – Little Helper 16-3"|
|15.||"Nocturnal Sunshine – Meant To Be"|
|16.||"Zenker Brothers – Berg 10"|
|17.||"Last Magpie – No More Stories"|
|18.||"Zoe Zoe – Church"|
|19.||"Gerry Read – Roomland (Youandewan Remix)"|
|20.||"T. Williams – Analog Tour"|
|21.||"Marcel Dettmann – Translation Two"|
|22.||"Claro Intelecto – Hunter’s Rocket To The Sky"|
Singles and extended plays
|2008||Sick Panda||Dogmatik Records|
|2009||Monochrome EP||Dogmatik Records|
|2009||The Dazed EP||1TRAX|
|2009||Not In My House EP||1TRAX|
|2010||No Sympathy||Elite Records|
|2010||Bubbler EP||Loco Records Supreme|
|2010||What They Say||Real Tone Records||Resident Advisor |
|2010||Cool Down EP||Dogmatik Records|
|2010||Humming Bird EP||Hypercolour|
|2011||Focus Now||20:20 Vision||Resident Advisor |
|2011||The Remixes||Real Tone Records|
|2011||Dont Put Me In Your Box EP||Hypercolour||Resident Advisor |
|2012||Getting Freaky||Heidi presents... Jackathon Jams|
|2012||Easier To Hide||I/AM/ME|
|2014||From the Dark||Mobilee Records|
|2017||Won't Let You Down EP||I/Am/Me|
|Weak / Werk|
|2018||Keep Me Warm (featuring Gaps)|
|2008||New System (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Chris Ibbot||Dogmatik|
|2008||Fuck Me Pumps (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Amy Winehouse||Island|
|2008||Uncle Tech (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Todd Terry||1TRAX|
|2009||Romanov's Boogie (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||The Sun Paulo||Wisdom Records|
|2010||Time To Dance (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Tricky||Domino|
|2011||Cicadas (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Tom Middleton||Lo:Rise|
|2011||Crash (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Fritz & Lang ft. Lizokot||Airdrop Records|
|2011||Your Style (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Maceo Plex||Cross Town Rebels|
|2011||O' So (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Inxec & Mark Chambers||Leftroom Records|
|2011||Next To You (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Marvin Zeyss||Brown Eyed Boyz|
|2011||City Life (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||DJ T||Get Physical|
|2011||Ritual Union (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Little Dragon||Peacefrog|
|2011||Time To Dance (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Tricky||Domino|
|2011||Creeping (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||2:54||Fiction|
|2012||Bring It Back' (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Franck Rodger||Real Tone|
|2012||Lost and Found (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Lianne La Havas||Warners|
|2012||She's On Fire (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Bo Saris||Bo Rush|
|2012||Spectrum (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Florence & The Machine||Island Records|
|2013||Fiction (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||The xx||Young Turks|
|2013||So High (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Big Dope P||Moveltraxx|
|2013||Free ft. Emeli Sandé (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Rudimental||Asylum Records|
|2013||Blue Skies (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Ella Fitzgerald||Verve Records|
|2013||First Fires ft. Grey Reverend (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Bonobo||Ninja Tune|
|2013||Love Drug (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Booka Shade ft. Fritz Helder||Blaufield|
|2014||Pray For Love (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Kwabs||Atlantic Records|
|2015||Hurricane ft. Pandora Drive (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Karin Park||State of the Eye|
|2015||Lay Me Down (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Sam Smith||Capitol Records|
|2017||Going Backwards (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Depeche Mode||Columbia Records|
|2019||Movement (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Hozier||Columbia Records|
As Nocturnal Sunshine
2015: Nocturnal Sunshine
- 01. Intro (Holding On)
- 02. Believe feat. Chelou
- 03. It's Alright
- 04. Take Me There
- 05. Drive
- 06. Footsteps
- 07. Down By The River feat. Catnapp
- 08. Bass Bin
- 09. Can't Hide The Way I Feel
- 10. Intergalactic
- 11. Skipper
- 12. Hotel
|2010||Can't Hide the Way I Feel||LMD SkunkWorks||Resident Advisor |
|2010||Meant To Be||!K7|
|2010||Not Your Teddy Bear (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Backwords||Elastica|
|2011||Ms Cooper (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Floyd Lavine ft. Mey||Polydor|
|2011||Cocoon (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Alpines||Polydor|
|2012||Pixellated People (Nocturnal Sunshine Remix)||Jess Mills||Island|
|2015||Close Up (Maya Jane Coles Remix)||Peaches||I U She Music GmbH|
As She is Danger
|2009||Under The Sheets (She is Danger Remix)||Ellie Goulding||Polydor|
|2010||Girl I Love You (She is Danger Remix)||Massive Attack||Virgin Records|
|2010||Gangster (She is Danger Remix)||Dreadzone||Dubwiser|
|2010||On Melancholy Hill (She is Danger Remix)||Gorillaz||Parlophone|
|2010||Doubt (She is Danger Remix)||Delphic||Polydor|
|2014||Comfort||Jonas K Lord|
|2014||Come Home||Jonas K Lord|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Kobalt signs Maya Jane Coles to Label Services roster - News - Music Week". Musicweek.com. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Maya Jane Coles: A young Londoner infuses tech-house with deep vibes and dubwise sounds". XLR8.com. 6 April 2011. Archived from the original on 22 June 2012.
- Gareth Owen (1 March 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - What she says". Electronic Beats. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013.
- Nocturnal Sunshine.  Archived 21 April 2013 at Archive.today, IMO Records Retrieved on 25 June 2012.
- "MAYA JANE COLES: A STAR COMES OUT AT NIGHT". DJMag.com!. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Sound of 2011 - Maya Jane Coles". SoonNight.com. Archived from the original on 23 May 2013.
- "She Is Danger remix credits". Discogs.
- "RA: Franck Roger". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "In Focus: Maya Jane Coles". DJ Mag. Archived from the original on 29 October 2012.
- "Top 100 charted tracks in 2010". Resident Advisor.
- "Maya Jane Coles Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Archived from the original on 10 April 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Covers - May 2011". Mixmag. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012.
- "Essential Mix - Maya Jane Coles". BBC Radio 1. 9 July 2011.
- "RA Poll: Top DJs of 2011". Resident Advisor. 6 December 2011.
- partysan-ibiza (26 March 2012). "IDMA 2012 Results >> Award for "best global club" goes to Space Ibiza". PARTYSAN Elektronische Musik & Klubkultur Magazin. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Maya Jane Coles Tracks & Releases on Beatport". Beatport.com. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Maya Jane Coles". Ents24.com. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "FACT's alternative Brits: the winners". 22 February 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Will Lynch (6 February 2012). "Maya Jane Coles mixes DJ-Kicks". Resident Advisor.
- Andrew Ryce (17 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Resident Advisor.
Coles isn't concerned with exclusivity, nor staying particularly up to date with brand new tracks, and she doesn't need to be—her mixing carries enough personality to make it distinctive without any of that contextual baggage. It's not a particularly flashy or technically thrilling mix, it's just one of the UK's most intriguing young DJs at the peak of her powers, a well-timed snapshot of a burgeoning big name.
- Philip Sherburne (20 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Spin.
- "The 25 DJs That Rule the Earth". Rolling Stone. 9 November 2012.
- Tregoning, Jack. "Listen: Maya Jane Coles returns to the Essential Mix". inthemix.com.au. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "fabric 75". Fabriclondon.com. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Nicki Minaj feat. Drake and Lil Wayne's 'Truffle Butter' - Discover the Sample Source". WhoSample.comd. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50 | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Billboard Dance Chart". Billboard.com. 9 September 2017.
- Take Flight by Maya Jane Coles, retrieved 5 December 2018
- "The Top 50 Albums of 2017". Mixmag.net. 14 December 2017.
- "Premiere: Maya Jane Coles is back and better than ever with 'Cherry Bomb'". Mixmag.net. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "MAYA JANE COLES SET TO 'TAKE FLIGHT' ON FORTHCOMING LP". Mixmag. 14 July 2017.
- "SPOTIFY PLAYLIST: 50 SHINY NEW TRACKS TO GET STUCK INTO". Mixmag.net. 21 July 2017.
- "13 Dance Artists Who Dominated 2017". Billboard.com. 21 December 2017.
- "Artist of the Week Chart". Beatport.com. 24 August 2017.
- "Maya Jane Coles - Essential New Tune". Facebook.com. 17 May 2017.
- "Here's all the winners from the Best of British Awards 2017". DJMag.com. 18 December 2017. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Essential Mix". Twitter. 1 December 2017.
- "Annie Mac's Mini Mix - Maya Jane Coles". BBC Radio 1. 1 September 2017.
- "Best Before Episode 5 - Maya Jane Coles Live". Bbc.co.uk.
- Dope N Disco, Maya Jane Coles - One Mix ep.118 (Beats 1) (320k HQ) - 10/06/2017, retrieved 5 December 2018
- "BBC Radio 1 - Radio 1 in Ibiza, 2017, Maya Jane Coles - live from Hi". BBC. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "IMS PARTNERS WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS AND DEEPER SOUNDS - LISTEN TO IMS KEYNOTES FROM THE SKY". International Music Summit. 12 February 2018.
- Take Flight, 25 August 2017, retrieved 3 October 2017
- James Lawrence (23 April 2012). "Maya Jane Coles - DJ-Kicks". Mixmag. Archived from the original on 9 May 2013.
Varied, well thought-out and fresh.
- Philip Sherburne (23 November 2010). "Maya Jane Coles - What They Say". Resident Advisor.
- Greg Sawyer (20 May 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - Focus Now". Resident Advisor.
- Andrew Ryce (14 November 2011). "Maya Jane Coles - Don't Put Me In Your Box". Resident Advisor.
- Evans, Steph (24 November 2018). "Maya Jane Coles returns to sultry deep house with the release of 'Other Side'". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on 28 November 2018. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Movement (Maya Jane Coles Remix) - Single by Hozier on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- The Debut Album from Nocturnal Sunshine (aka Maya Jane Coles) Nocturnalsunshine.co.uk.
- Andrew Ryce (1 December 2010). "Nocturnal Sunshine - Can't Hide the Way I Feel". Resident Advisor.
- "Maya Jane Coles 'Comfort' by Jonas K Lord". PromoNews. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Maya Jane Coles 'Come Home' by Jonas K Lord". PromoNews. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Nocturnal Sunshine Balances 'Darkness and Innocence' in 'Believe' Video". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 27 May 2015.