Merritt Lyndon Fernald
Merritt Lyndon Fernald (October 5, 1873 – September 22, 1950) was an American botanist. He was a respected scholar of the taxonomy and phytogeography of the vascular plant flora of temperate eastern North America. During his career, Fernald published more than 850 scientific papers and wrote and edited the seventh and eighth editions of Gray's Manual of Botany. Fernald coauthored the book Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North America in 1919-1920 with Alfred Kinsey, which was published in 1943.
Fernald was born in Orono, Maine. His parents were Mary Lovejoy Heywood and Merritt Caldwell Fernald, a college professor at the University of Maine. Fernald attended Orono High School, during which time he decided that he wanted to become a botanist. He collected plants around Orono and published two botanical papers while still attending high school. Fernald attended Maine State College for a year, but began working as an assistant at the Gray Herbarium at Harvard University when he was 17. He began studying at Harvard in 1891, graduated in 1897, and joined the faculty at Harvard, during which time he remained active at the Herbarium.
- Gray, Asa (1908) . Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald, ed. Gray's New Manual of Botany: A Handbook of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of the Central and Northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada (Seventh edition - Illustrated ed.). New York: American Book Company. p. 59. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Del Tredici, Peter. "The Other Kinsey Report", Natural History, ISSN 0028-0712, July 1, 2006, Vol. 115, Issue 6.
- "The Four Awards Bestowed by The Academy of Natural Sciences and Their Recipients". Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia) 156 (1): 403–404. June 2007. doi:10.1635/0097-3157(2007)156[403:TFABBT]2.0.CO;2.
- "Author Query for 'Fernald'". International Plant Names Index.
- Stuckey, Ronald L. (2000), Fernald, Merritt Lyndon, In: American National Biography Online, Oxford University Press.
- Ewan, Joseph (1970–80). "Fernald, Merritt Lyndon". Dictionary of Scientific Biography 4. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. pp. 583–4. ISBN 978-0-684-10114-9.
|This article about an American botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|