Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences
|Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences|
1 Convery Boulevard
|Type||Magnet Public high school|
|School district||Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools|
|Principal||Terri Ann Sullivan|
|Asst. principal||Richard L. Heffers|
|Enrollment||272 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.3:1|
|Color(s)|| Royal blue and|
The Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences, also known as Woodbridge Academy, is a four-year career academy and college preparatory magnet public high school located in Woodbridge Township in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades as part of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools, which serves students of many diverse cultures from all over Middlesex County.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 272 students and 19.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.3:1. There were 12 students (4.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 8 (2.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In its listing of "America's Best High Schools 2016", the school was ranked 31st out of 500 best high schools in the country; it was ranked 11th among all high schools in New Jersey.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school as one of 16 schools tied for first out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 256 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy (100.0%) and mathematics (100.0%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The major subjects of studies for four years are the following:
- English: World Literature*, US Literature I*, US Literature II*, AP English Literature and Composition*
- Mathematics: Geometry*, Algebra II*, Pre-Calculus*, Statistics, AP Calculus**
- Sciences: Biology*, Chemistry*, Physics*
- Social Science: World History*, US History I*, AP US History*, Sociology*, Economics*
- Health and Physical Education: All four years*
- World Language: Spanish I*, Spanish II*, Spanish III*, Spanish IV**, AP Spanish**
- Rutgers SHP Courses: Introduction to Allied Health*, Dynamics of Health Care In Society*, Medical Terminology*, Anatomy and Physiology I & II*, Scientific Principles of Nutrition, Nutrition and the Lifespan
- PLTW (Project Lead The Way) Courses: Principles of Biomedical Sciences*, Human Body Systems*, Medical Interventions*, Biomedical Innovations*
- * Required
- ** Have to be selected to take course
The Woodbridge Academy Hornets compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 380 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
Due to the Academy's small size, clubs in school is generally limited, though some are more active than others. A list of clubs include:
- Key Club
- Amnesty International Chapter
- Interact Club
- Ethics/Debate Club
- Music Club
- Newspaper Club
- Sports Club
- Dance Club
- Yearbook Club
- Art Club
- Science League
- Math League
- Junior State of America
- Model UN
The school ranks consistently high on the Science League exams.
2014-2015 School Year Rankings
- Biology I Ranking: 4 out of 134
- Chemistry I Ranking: 7 out of 140
- Physics I Ranking: 13 out of 108
2011-2012 School Year Rankings
- Biology Ranking: 10 out of 143
- Chemistry Ranking: 19 out of 143
- Physics Ranking: 21 out of 143
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Terri Ann Sullivan, Principal
- Richard L. Heffers, Assistant Principal
- School data for Middlesex County Voc Acad Allied Health & Biomedical Science, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Woodbridge Academy, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Goldman, Jeff. "Which N.J. schools were named to national 'Blue Ribbon' list?", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, October 2, 2014. Accessed December 31, 2014. "Eleven New Jersey schools have been named to the annual National Blue Ribbon list, the U.S. Department of Education announced Tuesday."
- 2014 National Blue Ribbon Schools All Public and Private, United States Department of Education. Accessed December 31, 2014.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools 2016", Newsweek. Accessed November 11, 2016.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011[permanent dead link], Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 23, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017 Archived 2012-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016 Student Handbook, Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences. Accessed February 23, 2012.