This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mieres del Camín, seat of the municipality.
Location of Mieres in the Asturias.
|Capital||Mieres del Camín|
|• Mayor||Aníbal Vázquez (IU)|
|• Total||146.03 km2 (56.38 sq mi)|
|Elevation||386 m (1,266 ft)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Mieres is a municipality of Asturias, northern Spain with approximately 45,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Mieres is made up of the capital, Mieres del Camino and the villages of Baiña, Figaredo, Cenera, Loredo, La Peña, La Rebollada, Santullano, Santa Rosa, Seana, Ujo, Urbies, Valdecuna, Santa Cruz, Ablaña, Turón, Gallegos, Bustiello.
Mieres is the heart of the coal mining industry in Spain. The topography of Mieres is mountainous with the greatest population centers being located in the valley along the banks of the Caudal River (Río Caudal) valley in the center of Asturias. Before the Spanish Industrial Restructuring Mieres was one of the industrial backbones of Asturias, and hosted 70000 inhabitants in the 1960s. Today Mieres shelters a campus of the University of Oviedo and different museums in relation with the industrial heritage.
Mieres’ most popular and important festival St. John's Bonfire (La Foguera de San Juan) occurs every June 24's eve, and is highlighted by a huge bonfire, cultural events, dancing, outdoor concerts, fireworks, al fresco dining and drinking. Another important festival is the Folixa na Primavera in April (Spring Fiesta), which includes dance and music performances from the nine European Celtic regions, food, drink and especially cider, (sidra).
|PCE / IU-BA||9||7||7||6||9||7||6||5||10||12|
|CD / AP / PP||1||4||4||5||7||7||7||7||4||3|
|UCD / CDS||4||4||2|
There are fifteen parishes:
- Mieres del Camino
- La Peña
- La Rebollada
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Rosa
- Víctor Manuel, singer and songwriter
- José Andrés, chef
- Federico Montoro, poet
- Vital Aza, author and playwright
- Nacho Martínez, actor
- Juan Carlos Ablanedo, footballer
- Xaviel Vilareyo, author
- Innocencio of Mary Immaculate, saint
- Jenny, singer and representative of Andorra in the Eurovision Song Contest 2006
- "Municipal Register of Spain 2018". National Statistics Institute. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "Instituto Nacional de Estadistica. (Spanish Statistical Institute)". Ine.es. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
-  Archived February 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Minería en Asturias". Html.rincondelvago.com. 17 May 2002. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
-  Archived February 20, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived September 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived May 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Dirección General de Política Interior
- Elecciones Locales 2011
|Wikisource has the text of the 1905 New International Encyclopedia article Mieres.|