Juan Carlos Ablanedo
|Full name||Juan Carlos Ablanedo Iglesias|
|Date of birth||2 September 1963|
|Place of birth||Mieres, Spain|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Ablanedo was born in Mieres, Asturias. During his career he played solely for Sporting de Gijón after being a product of the club's famed youth system, Mareo, and received his first-team debut on 2 January 1983, as a second-half substitute in a 1–0 home win against RCD Español after José Aurelio Rivero was sent off.
After two further appearances in the following season, Ablanedo became the Asturian side's undisputed starter, totalling 399 La Liga appearances. In the 1986–87 campaign, as Sporting finished fourth, he appeared in 42 matches (out of 44, as the league had a second stage).
Ablanedo retired from football after 1998–99, with Sporting now in the second division. He also had some serious injuries during his career, playing in only two games in his last season and none in 1991–92. He was awarded three Ricardo Zamora Trophy awards during his career.
- Spain U21
- Ablanedo, el portero más seguro (Ablanedo, the safest goalkeeper); El País, 13 November 1985 (Spanish)
- Juan Carlos Ablanedo: palabras mayores (Juan Carlos Ablanedo: bigger words); Yo Jugué en el Sporting, 28 March 2008 (Spanish)
- 1–0: Savic, en su debut, marcó el gol del Sporting ante el Español (1–0: Savic, in his debut, scored Sporting's goal against Español); ABC, 3 January 1983 (Spanish)
- Ablanedo se despide (Ablanedo says goodbye); Mundo Deportivo, 18 June 1999 (Spanish)
- Ablanedo: Un mes y medio K.O. (Ablanedo: One month and a half out); Mundo Deportivo, 15 August 1987 (Spanish)
- Ablanedo, cinco meses K.O. (Ablanedo, five months out); Mundo Deportivo, 28 January 1989 (Spanish)
- El Sporting de Gijón se queda sin guardametas (Sporting de Gijón loses all goalkeepers); Mundo Deportivo, 1 May 1991 (Spanish)
- El portero más seguro (The safest goalkeeper); Mundo Deportivo, 22 April 1985 (Spanish)
- 3–1: Son los mismos, pero parecían dormidos (3–1: Same guys, they just looked asleep); Mundo Deportivo, 25 September 1986 (Spanish)
- ¡¡¡Campeones!!! (Champions!!!); Mundo Deportivo, 30 October 1986 (Spanish)
- Qué fue de… Ablanedo (What happened to… Ablanedo); 20 Minutos, 20 June 2008 (Spanish)