This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mikimoto Phoenix Crown|
2002 (current version)
|Owner||Miss Universe Organization|
|Weight||1.06 kg (2.3 lb)|
Natural colorless Diamonds|
South Sea pearls
The crown was made by the Mikimoto Pearl company in Toba, Mie Prefecture, Japan used by the Miss Universe Organization. It use was preceded by a modernised variant design of the traditional Lady Crown used since the 1970s. Among beauty pageant connoisseurs, the crown is highly regarded as one of the most iconic crowns sought by beauty queen titleholders.
The crown was designed by Japanese artisan Tomohiro Yamaji in 2000 and was created out of the sponsorship of the Mikimoto Pearl company in 2002 for the commemorative 50th year anniversary and as the official jewel sponsor of the Miss Universe Organization. It accompanied a similar diadem which was given to the winner after her reign. It was first unveiled at the Fifth Avenue Mikimoto store in New York City and was first officially worn by the 50th Miss Universe at the Intercontinental Hotel located in San Juan, Puerto Rico on 25 May 2002 by former Miss Universe Organization owner Donald Trump and former brand president, Toyohiko Miyamoto.
The Mikimoto crown is made of both yellow and white gold, measuring from three millimeters to 18 millimeters. It has a traditional Asian design ascribed to the seven auspicious feathers of a Fenghuang phoenix, a mandorla flame design derived from traditional Japanese Buddhist iconography. The crown is adorned with diamonds totalling to 18 carats, with both 120 naturally white South Sea and Akoya pearls obtained in Japan giving a grand total weight of 29.7 carats. Due to its delicate nature, a security detail was attached to the crown wherever it traveled and insured for $250,000 USD against the risk of loss or damage.
List of Miss Universe winners who have worn the crown
- Lara Tan, CNN Philippines (27 November 2017). "South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters crowned Miss Universe 2017". Archived from the original on 2 December 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Worn on 27 November 2017
- ABS-CBN News (27 January 2017). "LOOK: Pia Wurtzbach wears iconic Mikimoto crown". Archived from the original on 26 November 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Bianca Rose Dabu / AT, GMA News (29 January 2017). "Pia gets emotional as Miss U organization gives her one final surprise". Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- For the Miss Universe / Miss USA 2009 coronation evening.
- Due to the dethronement of Miss Russia within 3 months of reign.
- The first official media presentation of the Mikimoto Crown at the Mikimoto Store in New York City by former Miss Universe Organization owner, Donald Trump and Toyohiko Mikimoto, former brand director.