|• Total||175.45 km2 (67.74 sq mi)|
|• Density||631/km2 (1,630/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
|Website||Official Map of the Mirzaganj Upazila|
Mirzaganj is located at. It has 21,345 households and a total area of 175.45 km².
According to the 1991 Bangladesh census, Mirzaganj had a population of 110,763. Males constituted 50.06% of the population, and females 49.94%. The population aged 18 or over was 56,446. Average literacy rate is 42.1%; male 48.6%, female 35.6%.
Paddy, sweet potato, lentil, chilli, sesame, linseed, ground nut etc.
Extinct and nearly extinct crops
Tobacco, jute and sugarcane.
Mango, jackfruit, banana, futi, watermelon.
Banana, lentil, chilli.
Mirzaganj thana was established in 1812 and was turned into an upazila in 1983. Mirzaganj has 6 Unions/Wards, 68 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 72 villages.
There are five colleges in the upazila. They include Howlader Foundation Women's College, founded in 2015, Akhtar Hossain Choudhury Memorial Degree College, founded in 2002, Subidkhali Degree College (1972), and Subidkhali Mahila College (2000).
- High school: 32
- Primary school: 70 (government), 62 (non-government)
- Satellite school: 4
- Old institutions:
- Subidkhali R I Pilot High School (1934)
- Subidkhali Government Model Primary School (1940)
- Kathaltali Government Primary School (1924)
- Basonda Government Primary School (1934)
- 1NO. Madhobkhali Govt. Paimary School
At the initial stage of the War of Liberation in 1971 a large number of youths were given military training in the training centre at village Deuli of this upazila. In an encounter between the Pakistani army and the local freedom fighters on the outskirts of Mirzaganj, 32 freedom fighters lost their lives causing heavy casualties to the enemy.
- Rahman, Md. Mizanur (2012). "Mirzaganj Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "District Statistics 2011: Patuakhali" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
|This Barisal Division location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|