Mohammed Bin Rashid Library
View of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Library across Dubai Creek
|Location||Al Jaddaf, Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Size||1.5 million printed books, two million digital books and one million audio books|
The design of the library is inspired by the shape of a Turkish lectern. The main features of this library will be a conference centre, exhibition spaces, a children's library, a bookshop on the ground floor, reading halls, service areas, a business library, and training halls. The basement of the library will be able to accommodate around a thousand cars.
The project is under construction at a cost of AED1 billion. 300,000 to 400,000 volumes will be available in the library's open-access section. The library will have book handling and information systems. The library has been designed by consortium of 'asp' Architekten Stuttgart, Obermeyer Planen+Beraten Munich and ACG Architecture Consulting Group. The structural design of the library and its foundation system was awarded from ACG to S. A. MIRO, INC. (www.samiro.com) for their experience in designing complicated structures similar to the library. The project's main contractor is ASGC, a Dubai-based leading construction group.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum announced the conception of the library in February 2016, the "Year of Reading" in Dubai. Designed in the shape of an open book on a lectern, the seven-story library will cover 650,000 square feet of property and is expected to facilitate 9 million visitors annually. The Mohammed Bin Rashid Library will house over 4.5 million printed, digital, and audio books. The AED1 billion contract for the construction for the Mohammed Bin Rashid Library is the largest cultural project in Dubai. Construction began on September 2016, to be completed by mid-2018. As of December 2017, the construction of the library was 22% completed. In 2018 it was 72% complete.
The library will encompass eight specialized collections, including an information centre, a media centre, an Arabic library, an international library, a public library, a business library, a youth library, a children’s library, a family library, and a reading corner. Furthermore, the library will include a center for conservation and preservation of books, manuscripts, and documents as well as a special library for the Al Maktoum Collection. The library will host over 100 cultural and intellectual events every year along with a permanent art gallery. The inclusion of a Civilization museum and an Arab Heritage Museum will allow people to embrace their Arab identity through heritage preservation initiatives. There will be a 500-seat theater for lectures and seminars for launching intellectual and cultural events regionally and globally.
The MBR Library will have modern technology to serve scientific research and dissemination of knowledge. Hussein Nasser Lootah, Director-General of Dubai Municipality, has stated that the MBR Library will be a "world accredited reference in Arabic language and a destination for specialists, scientists, writers, poets, intellectuals, talented minds, and students. It will also serve as an incubation for publishers."
- "Mohammed Bin Rashid Library". www.dm.gov.ae. UAE: Government of Dubai. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- Nagraj, Aarti (14 November 2018). "Mega Dhs1bn library project in Dubai now 72% complete". Gulf Business.
- "Dubai Central Library". Archived from the original on 2014-05-31. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "17 incredible buildings opening in 2018 – 16. Mohammed Bin Rashid Library, UAE". Daily Telegraph. UK. 16 Jan 2018.
- Wam (2016-09-07). "Mohammed bin Rashid Library biggest cultural project". Emirates 24|7. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "What To Know About The New Mohammed bin Rashid Library". Emirates Woman. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Cerna, Fatima De La (2017-12-06). "Dubai's $272.3m MBR Library project is 22% complete | ConstructionWeekOnline.com". www.constructionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Morgan, James. "Dubai's MBR Library on track to complete in 2018 | ConstructionWeekOnline.com". www.constructionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Wam (2016-02-02). "Dh1 billion Mohammed bin Rashid Library to be region's largest". Emirates 24|7. Retrieved 2018-03-18.