Number of locations
|449 boutiques (2012)|
|Nicolas Baretzki (CEO)|
|Products||Pens, bags, watches, jewellery, other accessories|
|Revenue||€370.4 M (2017)|
A Hamburg banker, Alfred Nehemias, and a Berlin engineer, August Eberstein, produced simple pens in 1906. After a short period of time Wilhelm Dziambor, Christian Lausen, and later Claus Johannes Voss took over the business. Their first model was the Rouge et Noir in 1909 followed in 1910 by the pen that was later to give the company its new name, Montblanc. The Meisterstück name (English: "Masterpiece", the name used for export) was used for the first time in 1924. Today, the Montblanc brand is on other goods besides pens, including watches, jewelry, fragrances, leather goods, and eyewear.
Today, Montblanc forms part of the Richemont group. Its sister companies include luxury brands Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Chloé, and Baume et Mercier. Montblanc is owned, through Richemont, by the South African Rupert family.
A trademark identified with Montblanc is the white stylized six-pointed snowcap with rounded edges, representative of the Mont Blanc snowcap from above, the symbol being adopted in 1913. The number "4810", the mountain's height in meters, is also a commonly recurring theme.
Montblanc makes several models of pens, with the Meisterstück (fountain pen) representing the cornerstone model. Each is slightly different, however Meisterstück models created after 1990 have a serial number located on the ring at the top of the clip. Under the clip is usually the words "Made in Germany" and often "Pix". The barrels of pens made of black ‘precious resin’ will reveal a reddish hue under strong lighting; if the pen in question does not have these attributes then it is possibly a fake.
In October 2014 the first blocking order against trademark infringing consumer goods was passed against the major UK ISPs by Richemont, Cartier International and Montblanc to block several domains selling trademark infringing products.
Range of products commercialised by Montblanc includes:
Montblanc Meisterstück 149 with a Longines DolceVita Chronograph.
Montblanc Diplomat c. 2006 (left) and Meisterstück 149 (right), c. 1978-1980
BB engraving of the Montblanc F. Scott Fitzgerald model, featuring The Great Gatsby
Notes and references
- "New CEO for Montblanc", Prestige Magazine, 2016-11-24
- Richemont's 2019 Interim Report now available online on Richemont.com, 15 Nov 2019
- "Penspotters :: Montblanc pens". rickconner.net.
- Gardiner, Victoria (25 January 2014). "Montblanc Announces Hugh Jackman as Global Brand Ambassador". The Gentleman's Journal. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Montblanc and The Webster celebrate the launch of their new, limited-edition collection". gothammag.com.
- "Montblanc And The Webster Celebrated A New Capsule Collection In NYC". Essence.
- Little, Trevor. "Landmark judgment handed down in dispute between Richemont and ISPs". Retrieved 17 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montblanc (company).|