Museu Benfica – Cosme Damião
|Established||26 July 2013|
|Location||Estádio da Luz, Lisbon|
(24 July 2018)
|Public transit access||at Colégio Militar/Luz|
The Museu Benfica – Cosme Damião is the museum of Portuguese sports club S.L. Benfica. Named after Cosme Damião, one of the club's founders in 1904, the museum was inaugurated on 26 July 2013 under the presidency of Luís Filipe Vieira and opened to the public on 29 July, one year and three months after the start of construction.
Located near Benfica's stadium, the building occupies 4,000 square metres and is composed of three floors, which are accompanied by a huge vertical parallelepiped made of glass exhibiting roughly 500 trophies won by the club. The museum is split into 29 thematic areas containing around 1,000 pieces from a collection of 30,000, including trophies, documents, images, audio and video related to the history of Benfica, contextualised into domestic and international historic events of the 20th century.
Moreover, the museum includes audiovisual touchscreens, a hologram of Eusébio, an area displaying photos of Benfica supporters and, lastly, an elevator surrounded by video walls showing messages and images of benfiquistas. This area transports visitors to a geodesic dome on the top of building, where a short film about the club's history is displayed.
On 12 December 2014, the Museu Benfica was awarded the prize for Best Portuguese Museum of 2014 by the Portuguese Association of Museology. As of 24 July 2018[update], the museum has had 400,000 visitors.
- Edisport. "Museu dá o pontapé de saída - Benfica" [Museum kicks off]. Record (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 31 July 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Visita guiada ao novo Museu do Benfica" [Guided tour to Benfica's new museum]. Visão (in Portuguese). Impresa Publishing S.A.
- Edisport. "O que pode ver no Museu do Benfica - Fotogalerias" [What you can see at Benfica's museum]. Record (in Portuguese).
- "Bicampeões para a história" [Back-to-back champions for the ages]. Visão (in Portuguese). Portugal: Impresa Publishing. May 2015. pp. 62–63. ISSN 0872-3540.
- Cordeiro, Pedro (12 December 2014). "Museu do Benfica é o melhor de Portugal" [Benfica's museum is the best of Portugal]. Expresso (in Portuguese). Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Museu Cosme Damião considerado o melhor português de 2014" [Museu Cosme Damião considered the best Portuguese museum of 2014] (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Dores, Márcia (24 July 2018). "400 mil pessoas já visitaram o Museu Benfica – Cosme Damião" [400 thousand people have visited Museu Benfica – Cosme Damião]. S.L. Benfica (in Portuguese). Retrieved 25 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museu Benfica.|