|Museu Benfica – Cosme Damião|
|Established||26 July 2013|
|Location||Estádio da Luz, Lisbon|
(21 July 2017)
|Public transit access||Alto dos Moinhos
Lisbon Metro Blue Line
It was inaugurated on 26 July 2013, under the presidency of Luís Filipe Vieira, and was opened to the public on 29 July 2013, one year and three months after the start of construction.
Located near the stadium, the building occupies 4,000 square metres and it is composed of three floors which are followed by a huge vertical parallelepiped made of glass exhibiting more than 500 trophies. The museum is split in 29 thematic areas and contains around 1,000 trophies won by the club's sports, a collection superior to 20,000 objects, documents, images, audio and video related to the history of Benfica, as well of Portugal (1755 Lisbon earthquake, Carnation Revolution) and the world (Apollo 11), audiovisual touchscreens, a hologram of Eusébio, an area displaying (in a loop) photos of Benfica supporters, and finally an elevator surrounded by video walls showing messages and images of Benfiquistas. This area transports the visitors to the geodesic dome on the top of building, which displays a short film about the club's history.
On 12 December 2014, it was awarded the prize for Best Portuguese Museum of 2014 by the Portuguese Association of Museology.
- "Museu Benfica Cosme Damião atinge as 300 mil visitas" [Museu Benfica Cosme Damião reaches the 300 thousand visits mark]. S.L. Benfica (in Portuguese). 21 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Edisport. "Museu dá o pontapé de saída - Benfica". Record.
- "Visita guiada ao novo Museu do Benfica". Visão. Impresa Publishing S.A.
- Edisport. "O que pode ver no Museu do Benfica - Fotogalerias". Record.
- "Bicampeões para a história" [Back-to-back champions for the ages]. Visão (in Portuguese). Portugal: ImpresaPublishing. May 2015. pp. 62–63. ISSN 0872-3540.
- "Museu Cosme Damião considerado o melhor português de 2014" [Museu Cosme Damião considered the best Portuguese museum of 2014] (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museu Benfica.|
|This article about a Portuguese football club is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a museum in Portugal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|