Big Three (Portugal)
The Big Three (Portuguese: Os Três Grandes) is the nickname of the three most successful sport clubs in Portugal. The football teams of S.L. Benfica and Sporting CP, both from Lisbon, and of FC Porto, from Porto, have a great rivalry and are usually the main contenders for the Primeira Liga title. They share all but two of the Portuguese Football Championships ever played, and generally end up sharing the top three positions. None of them have been relegated from the Primeira Liga either, having been participants in all editions since its first season in 1934–35. Benfica's lowest position was 6th in 2000–01, while Porto's 9th-place finish in 1969–70 makes the closest any side has come to relegation. Sporting's worst classification was the 7th place in 2012–13.
The three-way rivalry
Benfica vs. Sporting:
Benfica vs. Porto:
Porto vs. Sporting:
Footballers who have played for the three clubs
Eight footballers have played for Benfica; Porto and Sporting. Of those, only Eurico Gomes has been champion in all three (twice with each). Additionally, Eurico is also the only player to enter this list without having played for another club in-between the Big Three career.
- Carlos Alhinho: Sporting 1972–75; Porto 1976; Benfica 1976–77, 1978–81
- Eurico Gomes: Benfica 1975–79; Sporting 1979–82; Porto 1982–87
- Romeu Silva: Benfica 1975–77; Porto 1979–83; Sporting 1983–86
- Paulo Futre: Sporting 1983–84; Porto 1984–87; Benfica 1993
- Fernando Mendes: Sporting 1985–89; Benfica 1989–91, 1992–93; Porto 1996–99
- Emílio Peixe: Sporting 1991–95, 1996–97; Porto 1997–2002; Benfica 2002–03
- Derlei: Porto 2002–05; Benfica 2007 (loan); Sporting 2007–09
- Maniche: Benfica 1995–96, 1999–2002; Porto 2002–05; Sporting 2010–11
Managers who managed all three clubs
- Otto Glória: Benfica 1954–59, 1968–70; Sporting 1961, 1965–66; Porto 1964–65
- Fernando Riera: Benfica 1962–63, 1966–68; Porto 1972–73; Sporting 1974–75
- Fernando Santos: Porto 1998–2001; Sporting 2003–04; Benfica 2006–07
- Jesualdo Ferreira: Benfica 2001–03; Porto 2006–10, Sporting 2013
- Big Three (Belgium)
- Big Three (Costa Rica)
- Big Three (Greece)
- Big Three (Netherlands)
- Big Three (Peru)
- Big Three (Turkey)
- List of association football club rivalries in Europe
- ""Sou o único campeão pelos três grandes. Em Inglaterra seria um herói, aqui sou um desempregado"" (in Portuguese). Expresso. 29 April 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Futebol: Maniche faz o pleno dos três grandes em Portugal" (in Portuguese). Jornal Mundo Português. 12 September 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2017.