Music of Colorado
|Music of the United States|
Folk and traditional music in Colorado has been an intricate part of the local popular culture in the last century. The Colorado Bluegrass Music Society exists to promote Coloradan bluegrass music, and publishes a magazine called Pow'r Pickin'.
Colorado bands and artists
Local bands and musicians as well as those often associated with Colorado include:
- 16 Horsepower (Alternative/Country/Rock)
- 3OH!3 (Pop)
- 3 The Hard Way (Hip-Hop)
- Air Dubai (Alternative Hip-Hop)
- All (Punk)
- Anti-Scrunti Faction (Punk)
- The Apples in Stereo (Indie/Pop)
- A Shoreline Dream (Rock)
- The Astronauts (Surf)
- Philip Bailey (R&B/Funk)
- Ginger Baker (Jazz)
- Big Gigantic (Instrumental Electronica)
- Big Head Todd and the Monsters (Rock/Blues)
- Tommy Bolin (1960s-1970s)
- Breathe Carolina (Electronic Rock)
- Antonia Brico (Classical)
- Mark Brooks
- Calm (hip hop)
- Cephalic Carnage (Grindcore/Death Metal)
- Christie Front Drive (Post-hardcore, Indie, Emo)
- Churchill (Acoustic/Bluegrass/Folk Rock)
- Judy Collins (Folk)
- The Czars (Rock/Alternative)
- John Denver (Folk/Country) His song "Sunshine on My Shoulders" was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1974. He had 3 more #1 hits, like "Thank God I'm a Country Boy".
- DeVotchKa (Indie/Alternative - Post Rock)
- Dressy Bessy (Indie)
- Drop Dead, Gorgeous (Rock)
- Earth, Wind and Fire (R&B)
- Elephant Revival (Folk)
- Fear Before the March of Flames (Rock)
- Firefall (Rock)
- Five Iron Frenzy (Ska)
- Flobots (Rap-Rock)
- The Fluid (Rock)
- Josephine Foster (Folk)
- The Fray (Adult Contemporary/Soft Rock). Had a #1 Billboard 200 album in 2009.
- Frogs Gone Fishin' (Funk)
- The Gamits (Pop/Punk)
- Miriam Gideon (composer)
- Havok (Metal)
- Hit and Run (Bluegrass)
- Idlewhile (Indie/Americana)
- India.Arie (R&B/Soul). Had a #1 Billboard 200 album in 2006.
- Javon Jackson (Jazz)
- Jag Panzer (Heavy Metal)
- Mike Johnson (guitarist)
- Andy Kirk (Jazz)
- Leftover Salmon (Jam)
- Willie Lewis (Rockabilly)
- The Lumineers (Folk/Alternative)
- Meese (Alternative)
- Ron Miles (Jazz)
- Glenn Miller (Jazz) his "In the Mood" became the best-selling swing instrumental
- Hazel Miller (Rock/Jazz/Folk)
- The Minders (Indie)
- Mr. J. Medeiros (Hip-Hop)
- Neighborhood Bully (Pop/Rock)
- The Northern Way (Pop/Rock)
- Neutral Milk Hotel (Indie/Folk/Lo-Fi) Originally from Georgia and Louisiana, but relocated to Denver, Colorado to record On Avery Island and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.
- OneRepublic (Pop/Rock/Alternative/Folk) Had two #2 Hot 100 hits, like "Apologize" in 2007.
- Opera Colorado (Opera)
- Paper Bird (Americana/Folk)
- Matt Pike
- Playalitical (Rap/Hip-Hop)
- The Photo Atlas (Pop/Rock)
- Roy Porter (Jazz drummer)
- Pretty Lights (Electronic)
- The Procussions (Hip-Hop)
- Paul Quinichette (Jazz)
- Nathaniel Rateliff
- Dean Reed (Rock 'n' Roll)
- Dianne Reeves (Jazz)
- Reverb and The Verse (Hip-Hop/Electronic)
- Rivulets (Indie/Singer-Songwriter)
- Roper (Pop/Punk)
- Rose Hill Drive (Rock)
- The Samples (Jam/Rock)
- SHEL (Folk/Pop)
- Single File (Pop)
- Slim Cessna's Auto Club (Alternative/Country/Rock)
- Jill Sobule (Folk)
- The String Cheese Incident (Jam)
- Sugarloaf (Rock)
- Dallas Taylor (drummer)
- Sally Taylor (singer-songwriter)
- Thinking Plague (Avant/Progressive)
- Tickle Me Pink (Pop)
- Time (indie hip hop)
- Vaux (Alternative, 1990s-2000s)
- Laura Veirs (Folk)
- Velvet Acid Christ (Electronic/Industrial, 1990s-2000s)
- The VSS (Post-hardcore/Experimental Rock)
- Mary Watkins (Folk and Jazz pianist)
- Paul Whiteman (Jazz bandleader, composer, violinist)
- Wendy Woo (Singer/Songwriter)
- Wovenhand (Alternative/Country/Rock)
- Yonder Mountain String Band (Bluegrass)
- Zephyr (Rock)
List of notable Colorado music venues
- World Arena, 3185 Venetucci Blvd.
- The Black Sheep, 2106 Platte Avenue.
- Fillmore Auditorium, 1510 Clarkson St.
- Ogden Theatre, 935 E. Colfax Ave.
- Pepsi Center, 1000 Chopper Pl.
- Bluebird Theater, 930 W. 7th Ave.
- Paramount Theater, 1621 Glenarm Pl.
- The Hi-Dive, 7 S. Broadway.
- Summit Music Hall, 1902 Blake St.
- Gothic Theater, 3263 S Broadway.
- "Colorado Bluegrass Music Society - Colorado Bluegrass Music Society". Coloradobluegrass.org. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Best Hip-Hop Album Denver 2009 - 3 the Hardway, Set in Stone". Westword. 2009-03-25. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Best New Hip-Hop Act Denver 2010 - Air Dubai". Westword. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Strong, Martin C. (2000). The Great Rock Discography (5th ed.). Edinburgh: Mojo Books. pp. 82–83. ISBN 1-84195-017-3.
- "Laughing Goat (thelaughinggoat) on Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Ogden Theatre :: Home". Ogdentheater.net. Retrieved 2014-05-29.