National Microfinance Bank
National Microfinance Bank PLC, is a commercial bank in Tanzania, the second-largest economy in the East African Community. It is licensed by the Bank of Tanzania, the central bank and national banking regulator.
|Traded as||DSE: NMB|
NMB PLC, Head office Ohio/Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road, P.O Box 9213Dar es Salaam
|Products||Loans, Savings, Checking, Investments, Debit Cards, Credit Cards, Mortgages|
US$2.212 billion (TZS:4.72 trillion) (H1:2016)revenue = Aftertax: US$81.8 million (TZS:132.5 billion) (2013)
Number of employees
As of September 2013[update], the bank was a large financial services institution, providing commercial banking services to individuals, small to medium-sized corporate clients, as well as large businesses. Then, it was the third-largest commercial bank in Tanzania, by assets, behind FBME Bank and CRDB Bank.
Following the break-up of the old National Bank of Commerce in 1997, by act of Parliament, three new entities were created: (a) NBC Holdings Limited (b) National Bank of Tanzania (1997) and (c) National Microfinance Bank. Initially NMB could only offer savings accounts, with limited lending capabilities.
In 2005, NMB was privatized and the Government of Tanzania, the sole owner of NMB until then, divested 49% shareholding to Rabobank of the Netherlands. Over the years since that time, further divestiture by the Tanzanian Government and subsequent listing of the bank's stock has led to a diversified ownership structure, as outlined under "Ownership".
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Rabobank of the Netherlands||34.9|
|2||Government of Tanzania||31.8|
|3||Private Investors via DSE||25.0|
|4||National Investment Company Limited (NICOL)||6.6|
|5||TCCIA Investment Company Limited||1.7|
- BOT, . "Directory of Commercial Banks Operating In Tanzania". Bank of Tanzania (BOT). Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- TDN Reporter (29 July 2016). "Tanzania: NMB Posts Strong Financial Results". Tanzania Daily News (TDN) via AllAfrica.com. Dar es Salaam. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- Daily Times Reporter, . (17 February 2014). "Tanzania: NMB Bags Sh132.5 Billion Profit". Tanzania Daily News (Dar es Salaam). Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Business Times Reporter (13 December 2013). "Total Assets of Commercial Banks In Tanzania At 31 September 2013". Dar es Salaam: Tanzania Business Times. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- NMB, . "The History of National Microfinance Bank". National Microfinance Bank (NMB). Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- FGS, . "List of Companies Which Trade On the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange". First Global Select (FGS). Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- NMB, . (2013). "The Current Shareholders of National Microfinance Bank". National Microfinance Bank (NMB). Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- NMB, . "The Branch Network of National Microfinance Bank". National Microfinance Bank (NMB). Retrieved 15 November 2014.