Julius Nyerere International Airport
|Julius Nyerere International Airport|
|IATA: DAR – ICAO: HTDA
– WMO: 63894
|Operator||Tanzania Airports Authority|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||182 ft / 55 m|
Julius Nyerere International Airport (IATA: DAR, ICAO: HTDA) is the international airport of Dar es Salaam, the largest city in Tanzania. It is located about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) southwest of the city centre. The airport has flights to destinations in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. It is named after Julius Nyerere, the nation's first president.
In October 2005, "Dar es Salaam International Airport" (DIA) was renamed "Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere International Airport" and on 1 November 2006, "Julius Nyerere International Airport". A total of 9,501,265 passengers used the airport from 1980 to 2004, averaging 2,770 passengers per day.
In April 2013, the Tanzania Airports Authority signed a TSH 275 billion contract with BAM International of the Netherlands for the construction of the first phase of Terminal III, with a capacity of 3.5 million passengers per year. In November 2015, the second phase was also awarded to BAM, at a contract price of US$110 million, and will add capacity for an additional 2.5 million passengers per year. After completion of Terminal III, it is expected that Terminal II will be devoted solely to domestic passengers. It is proposed to build a rail shuttle link from the airport to the city and rail coaches have already been bought for this (2014).
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate at the airport:
1: Some of KLM's inbound flights from Amsterdam to Dar es Salaam make a stop in Kilimanjaro, while others are nonstop. However, the airline does not have traffic rights to transport passengers solely between Kilimanjaro and Dar es Salaam.
2: Swiss International Air Lines' flights from Zürich to Dar es Salaam make a stop in Nairobi. However, the airline does not have traffic rights to transport passengers solely between Nairobi and Dar es Salaam.
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
|Etihad Cargo||Abu Dhabi, Nairobi|
|Martinair Cargo / KLM||Amsterdam|
|Number of Passengers||822,398||1,011,392||1,124,235||1,249,419||1,450,558||1,542,778||1,422,846||1,556,410||1,829,219||2,088,282||2,348,819|
|Total Cargo (Ton)||12,337||14,375||15,574||15,616||18,455||23,039||18,844||19,675||23,946||25,412||21,890|
Aircraft accidents and incidents
- On 3 January 1950, United Air Services flight, flying an Avro Anson C.19 with registration VP-TAT, crash landed at Dar es Salaam International Airport killing both cargo crew members.
- On 18 May 1989, Aeroflot flight flying a Ilyushin 62 was hijacked by a South African after the plane took off from Luanda, Angola. The hijacker was armed with a grenade and attempted to hold hostage the occupants of the plane that carried members of the African National Congress. The Hijacker was shot by a security guard as he attempted to enter the cockpit. The plane continued its scheduled stop at Dar es Salaam International Airport.
- On 11 April 2014, Kenya Airways flight KQ-482 flying an Embraer ERJ-190AR had a landing accident upon landing in heavy rains. The plane veered off the runway. All passengers and crew were evacuated, there were no reported fatalities and 3 passengers sustained minor injuries.
- "Consolidated Traffic Statistics" (XLSX). Tanzania Airports Authority. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Main airport changes name, yet again"
- DIA becomes Mwalimu JK Nyerere...
- "Tanzania: State Seals Contract to Build Terminal Three at Dar Airport", Daily News, reported by Abdulwakil Saiboko, reprinted at allAfrica website, 19 April 2013
- "BAM wins contract for phase 2 of Dar es Salaam airport", International Construction, KHL Group, reported by Mike Hayes, 30 October 2015
- "Airline Operators". Tanzania Airports Authority. 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Fastjet: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to Lilongwe, Malawi". eTN Global. 29 June 2015. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Fastjet Launches Flights to Kenya". Fastjet. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Fastjet Adds Zanzibar Route from Jan 2016". Airlineroute.net. 2 December 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Baaa-Acro Archives 1950". Baaa-Acro. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Ilyushin 62 Aeroflot Hijacking Description". Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "3 injured in Tanzania KQ plane mishap". Capital FM. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Data from Wikidata|
- Accident history for DAR at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for HTDA at Great Circle Mapper.
- Current weather for HTDA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HTDA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- on YouTube