Nawashi (縄師) (noun; lit. "rope master", "rope teacher" or "maker of string"), is a word which in SM circles it means "rope artist".  Nawashi are those who have some recognized proficiency in the historic erotic art of kinbaku (緊縛) (lit. tight binding) or kinbaku-bi (lit. beautiful bondage).
In early 2007 a documentary movie entitled Bakushi produced by Naoya Narita and directed by Ryūichi Hiroki was released. In it, Hiroki interviews three Japanese ropemasters (bakushi), Chimuo Nureki, Haruki Yukimura, and Go Arisue, along with three of their models, Hiromi Saotome, Sumire, and Taeko Uzuki. Running time: 94 MIN.
Two famous nawashi are the late Osada Eikichi (2001) and Akechi Denki (2005). Other notable Japanese bakushi are Naka Akira, Haruki Yukimura, Ryuuji Takeda, Hajime Kinoko, Randa Mai, Go Arisue, Chimuo Nureki and Chiba Eizoh. One notable female bakushi is Benio Takara.
The art of kinbaku has become popular in the west since the mid-1990s, with a number of notable western practitioners shaping their rope art in Japanese inspired forms. These include Esinem, Gestalta, Gorgone, JackWhipper, Milla Reika, Osada Steve, RopEmotion, _S_, MaestroBD, Wildties, Wykd Dave, and Yukinaga Max.
- kinbaku (緊縛): (noun) bondage
- shibari (縛り): (verb) to tie or bind
- nawa shibari (縄縛り): (noun) rope tying
- nawashi (縄師): (noun) literally,"a maker of rope", but in SM circles in means "rope artist" (source Master K's book "Shibari, The art of Japanese Bondage")
- kinbakushi (緊縛師): (noun) tight binding (bondage) master
- bakushi (縛師): (noun) abbreviated form of kinbakushi
- Tatu - Personal Interviews with Japanese Rope Masters.
- Lume, Su (2014). Pink Kinky: Japan's Sex Underground. Hong Kong: Kingyo. ISBN 9789881250711. OCLC 870426996.
|This BDSM-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|