Nero Burning ROM
|Stable release||2015 (16.0.02700) (May 6, 2015) [±]|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Optical disc authoring software|
Nero Burning ROM, commonly called Nero, is an optical disc authoring program from Nero AG. The software is part of the Nero Multimedia Suite but is also available as a stand-alone product. It is used for burning and copying optical discs such as CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays. It also includes several functions for audio format conversion, the creation of audio CDs, and more. Starting from version 2015, Nero AirBurn App and Nero Burning ROM enable users to burn media straight from their mobile devices when the device and the PC are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
The program's name is a play on words, as it is designed to look like "Nero Burning Rome" in reference to the Great Fire of Rome, where Roman Emperor Nero was accused of setting fire to Rome. The software's logo features a burning Colosseum, although this is an anachronism as it was not built until after Nero’s death.
Nero Burning ROM was available as a standalone program until the release of version 6. From Versions 6 to 9 it was only available as part of Nero AG’s suite of software products. Since version 10 Nero Burning ROM has again become available as a standalone product.
Nero Burning ROM enables users to create many types of disc, including:
- Disk image files
- Audio CD discs
- DVD-Video discs
- Blu-ray Discs
- AVCHD video discs
- Bootable data discs
- ISO/UDF data discs
- SecurDisc discs
The program’s additional functions include:
- Printing discs with LightScribe and LabelFlash technology
- Erasing rewritable discs
- Copying audio CD tracks in a choice of audio formats onto a hard disk drive
- Converting audio files to other audio file formats
- Connection to the online music database Gracenote
With newer versions, users can also add media to compilations via the Nero MediaBrowser. Nero AirBurn is supported from Version 2015 onwards. Alongside Nero Burning ROM, Nero 2015 includes the following applications:
- Nero Recode enables users to store and recode media data and non-copy-protected film DVDs and Blu-Rays.
- Nero MediaHome facilitates the organization and playback of photos, videos and music tracks.
- Nero Media Browser makes the Nero MediaHome media library available also to non-Nero programs using simple drag and drop
- Nero Blu-ray Player (only in the Platinum version): media player for Blu-ray discs
- Nero Express provides a simplified interface for Nero Burning ROM and is limited in functions compared to Neo Burning ROM
- Nero Video is an editing program for creating and editing videos as well as burning video discs with menu.
- Nero Disc to Device is an easy-to-use application enabling users to directly convert video discs and audio CDs and put the content on mobile devices or in the cloud.
Nero Burning ROM is only available for Microsoft Windows. A Linux-compatible version was available from 2005 to 2012, but it has since been discontinued. In newer versions, media can be added to compilations via the Nero MediaBrowser. Nero AirBurn, a new feature in Nero 2015, enables users to burn media straight from their mobile devices.
Image format support
Nero Burning ROM works with a number of optical disc image formats, including the raw uncompressed image using the ISO9660 standard and Nero's proprietary NRG file format. Depending on the version, additional image formats may be supported. To use non-natively supported formats such as lossless FLAC, Wavpack, and Shorten, additional program modules must be installed. The modules are also known as plug-ins and codecs and are usually free, although Nero AG sells some proprietary video and audio plug-ins. Standard CD images created by Nero products have the filename extension .NRG, but users can also create and burn normal ISO images.
Nero Burning ROM is integrated in the Nero Multimedia Suite and is also available as a downloadable standalone product. It is also a part of Nero Essentials – a slimmed-down version of Nero Multimedia Suite – that comes bundled with OEM computers and optical disc writers.
Nero Burning ROM
|Version Number||Nero Application Release Date||Notes|
|Nero Burning ROM 1|
|1.0||1997||First release of version 1.|
|1.0||1997||Last release of version 1.|
|Nero Burning ROM 2|
|22.214.171.124||1997||First release of version 2.|
|126.96.36.199||1997||Last release of version 2.|
|Nero Burning ROM 3|
|188.8.131.52||1997||First release of version 3.|
|184.108.40.206||1998||Last release of version 3.|
|Nero Burning ROM 4|
|220.127.116.11||1999||First release of version 4.
CD-ROM UDF and UDF/ISO (Bridge) support added. Nero Cover Editor.
|18.104.22.168||1999||Last version for Windows 3.x (requires Win32s).|
|22.214.171.124||20 March 2000||Last release of version 4.
New features include twin VQ Encoding/Decoding, audio echo filter, and audio drag & drop implemented for Windows 2000.
|Nero Burning ROM 5|
|126.96.36.199||2000||First release of version 5.|
|5.5||30 April 2001||Major update. New features included Nero Wave Editor, Advanced Nero Cover Designer, Nero MPEG1 Video Encoder, VCD/SVCD Menu Creation, Audio Plug-In Interface, Embedded Nero API (Application Program Interface), Nero Toolkit.|
|188.8.131.52||25 August 2001||First version to support DVD burning.|
|184.108.40.206||4 July 2002||The first version with codec plug-in support (for example, writing FLAC, WavPack, MP4 etc. files to Audio CDs), Windows XP Support.|
|220.127.116.11||2 March 2004||Last release of version 5. Last version for Windows 95A. Nero 6 requires Windows 95B/98 or later.|
|Nero Burning ROM 6|
|18.104.22.168||25 July 2003||First release of version 6.
Early versions of Nero version 6 would burn only data DVDs using the ISO 9660 file system. Though DVD drives seemed to have no difficulty reading single-layer discs, compatibility with dual-layer discs was problematic.
|22.214.171.124||18 June 2004||Last version for Windows NT 4.0.|
|126.96.36.199||17 February 2005||Added LightScribe support.|
|188.8.131.52c||31 July 2007||Last release of version 6.|
|Nero Burning ROM 7|
|184.108.40.206||31 October 2005||First release of version 7.
For unknown reasons, Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced for North America has no LabelFlash or DiscT@2 support as Nero 7 Premium for Europe does.
|220.127.116.11||28 August 2006||Last version for Windows 95B/98/ME.|
|18.104.22.168||18 September 2006||Introduced support for LightScribe and writing data on Blu-ray Disc writer drive.|
|22.214.171.124||16 October 2006||Designed to run on Windows Vista.|
|126.96.36.199||18 January 2007||Officially certified for Windows Vista.
Fixed all prior reported flaws, updated Booktype support, and added further options for high definition discs.
|188.8.131.52||20 March 2007||Bugfix release.|
|184.108.40.206||4 July 2007||Bugfix release.|
|220.127.116.11b||21 January 2010||Bugfix release.|
|18.104.22.168c||March 11, 2010||Windows 7 compatibility update. Last release of version 7.|
|Nero Burning ROM 8|
|22.214.171.124||1 October 2007||First release of version 8.|
|126.96.36.199||19 December 2007||Added support for DualLayer DVD-RW media including layer jump junction.|
|188.8.131.52||12 March 2008||Minor bug fixes. Improved playback compatibility for Blu-ray.|
|184.108.40.206||14 July 2008||Minor bug fixes. NeroShowTime gained support for DXVA 2.0 and ATI UVD.|
|220.127.116.11||17 December 2008|
|18.104.22.168a||11 January 2010||Prior release of version 8.|
|22.214.171.124||15 March 2010||Last release of version 8. Last version for Windows 2000.|
|Nero Burning ROM 9|
|126.96.36.199b ||29 September 2008||First release of version 9. First release to support Windows 7.|
|188.8.131.52c ||16 October 2008|
|184.108.40.206 ||17 December 2008|
|220.127.116.11 ||2 June 2009|
|18.104.22.168b ||29 June 2009|
|22.214.171.124d ||28 August 2009|
|126.96.36.199 ||9 October 2009|
|188.8.131.52b ||24 March 2010|
|184.108.40.206b ||3 March 2011||Last release of version 9.|
|Nero Burning ROM 10|
|10.0.13100 ||12 April 2010||First retail release of version 10|
|10.6.11300 ||Latest update available in official website. Last release of version 10.|
|Nero Burning ROM 11|
|11.0.10700||First online release of version 11. First release to support the following BDXL media: BD-R TL, BD-RE TL, BD-R QL, and BD-RE QL.|
|11.0.10500||14 December 2011|
|11.2.10300||Last release of version 11.|
|Nero Burning ROM 12|
|12.0.00300 ||24 Sep 2012||Official support for Windows 8.|
|12.0.00800 ||03 Dec 2012|
|12.5.00900 ||04 Mar 2013|
|12.5.01300 ||01 Jul 2013|
|Nero Burning ROM 2014|
|15.0.02100 ||27 Sep 2013|
|15.0.02700 ||21 Oct 2013|
|15.0.03600 ||27 Nov 2013|
|15.0.03900 ||13 Jan 2014|
|15.0.04200 ||07 Feb 2014|
|15.0.04600 ||11 Mar 2014|
|15.0.05300 ||17 Jun 2014|
|Nero Burning ROM 2015|
|16.0.01300 ||17 Sep 2014|
|16.0.02000 ||27 Jan 2015|
|16.0.02700 ||6 May 2015|
|Version number||Release date||Notes|
|1.0||12 March 2005||First release|
|Nero Linux 2|
|220.127.116.11b||21 February 2007||Last release of Nero Linux version 2|
|Nero Linux 3|
|18.104.22.168||24 May 2007||GTK+ 2 port, Unicode support, Blu-ray burning.|
|22.214.171.124||6 November 2007|
|126.96.36.199||13 February 2008||Based on NeroAPI version 7.20. Some command line arguments supported.|
|3.5||5 April 2008|
|188.8.131.52||22 December 2008|
|184.108.40.206||18 June 2009|
|Nero Linux 4|
|220.127.116.11||17 September 2009||Current Linux release.|
|18.104.22.168b||22 December 2010||Latest Linux update|
- InCD – drag and drop packet-writing software from Nero AG
- Nero Digital – a suite of MPEG-4 codecs developed by Nero AG
- List of optical disc authoring software
- "Ahead Software - Nero Burning ROM review". IT Reviews. 5 April 2000. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Nero 6 Press Release". Nero AG. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "Nero 10 Press Release". Nero AG. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "Nero Burning ROM System Requirements". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Nero 15 what´s new". Nero AG. Retrieved 2015-0-18. Check date values in:
- "Nero Linux". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Nero Press Release: Nero introduces Nero 2015 for burning via smartphone, WiFi streaming & more". Nero AG. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "Nero BurnLite". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Version History". Ahead software gmbh. Archived from the original on 1999-09-17. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Version History". Nero AG. Archived from the original on 2002-06-03. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- Version History
- Nero – Nero 5 - Update
- Nero 5 System Requirements
- Nero 6 System Requirements
- "Nero Burning ROM 7 - Release Notes (Backup)". Nero AG. Retrieved 2007-02-01.
- "Nero 8 • Release Notes". Nero.com. Nero. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Nero 8 – Update". Nero AG. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Version history of Nero Burning ROM v22.214.171.124". AfterDawn.com. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Nero Burning ROM version history / changelog". VideoHelp.com. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "NeroLinux released". MadPenguin. 2005-03-12.
- "Nero AG Linux 4 Press release" (PDF). Nero AG. 2009-09-17.
- "Nero AG Linux 4 Download Page". Nero AG. 2010-12-22.