This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||4 October 2005|
184.108.40.206 / 16 June 2013
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Wine officially supported
ImgBurn is an optical disc authoring program that allows the recording of many types of CD, DVD and Blu-ray images to recordable media (.cue files are supported as of version 220.127.116.11). Starting with version 18.104.22.168, ImgBurn can also burn files and data directly to CD or DVD. It is written in C++. It supports padding DVD-Video files so the layer break occurs on a proper cell boundary (where possible).
Prior to version 22.214.171.124, the program was freeware. From version 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52, Ask.com adware was included in the installer. This was replaced in version 184.108.40.206 with OpenCandy adware. Only the version of the installer distributed directly from imgburn.com contains OpenCandy; the version distributed via the official mirror sites is adware-free. No notice is present on www.imgburn.com that the checksums/hashes provided now only match the OpenCandy version of the installer; however, the author of the program has provided the expected hash values for the adware-free version on the support forum.
ImgBurn is an optical disc authoring software created by Lightning UK, the author of DVD Decrypter, after he was forced to stop development of DVD Decrypter in response to a cease and desist order from Macrovision.
ImgBurn is based on the optical disc burning engine of DVD Decrypter; however, it does not have the ability to circumvent copy protections of encrypted DVDs. As of version 220.127.116.11, ImgBurn can create image files from unencrypted CDs/DVDs; however, it cannot remove Content Scramble System (CSS) encryption or any other copy protection. It is possible to use third-party software such as DVD43, an intermediate driver that operates between the hardware and software, for such purpose.
- Supported formats: BIN, CUE, DI (Atari Disk Image), DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG, PDI and more.
- Ability to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder), HD DVD Video discs (from a HVDVD_TS folder) and Blu-ray Video discs (from a BDAV / BDMV folder).
- Full unicode folder/file name support.
- Supported environments: Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 and 2008 R2 (including all the 64-bit versions). It also officially supports Wine.
- Image queue provides support for burning several images with minimum interaction.
- ImgBurn is relatively lightweight (compared to similar programs); under 1.8MB for all installed features.
- Does not support RAW disc ripping or burning
- Does not support multi-session discs[clarification needed]
- Cannot write CD subchannel data
- Cannot copy discs directly, without first creating an image file
- Each session of the software can only burn to one drive at a time.
Hardware interface support
ImgBurn supports many low level drive access interfaces. This allows it to operate on almost all Windows platforms. ImgBurn can use any of the following interfaces:
- Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) – WNASPI32.DLL (Adaptec)
- ASAPI – ASAPI.DLL (VOB Computersysteme/Pinnacle Systems)
- SCSI Pass Through Interface (SPTI) – Microsoft
- ElbyCDIO – Elaborate Bytes
- Patin-Couffin – VSO Software
Inclusion of Adware
- List of ISO image software
- List of optical disc authoring software
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- "ImgBurn Change log".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 3, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Official ImgBurn Website". Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "DVD Burning Software ImgBurn Updated. Turns Adware - gHacks Tech News". 17 March 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- LIGHTNING UK! (2013-06-16). "The Official ImgBurn Website: Change log". www.imgburn.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
Changed: No longer bundling/offering the Ask.com toolbar in the setup program, OpenCandy now handles product offerings during installation.
- LIGHTNING UK! (2013-06-16). "The Official ImgBurn Website: Download". www.imgburn.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "MD5 doesn't match any downloadable installers - ImgBurn General". forum.imgburn.com. 2016-10-29. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Wrong hash? - ImgBurn Support". forum.imgburn.com. 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Wrong Hash 2 - ImgBurn Support". forum.imgburn.com. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "ImgBurn". fileforum.betanews.com. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
CLEAN INSTALL! No OpenCandy bundled.
- "ImgBurn Download: Changelog". Softpedia. 2017-03-31. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
no more 'opencandy' adware!
- "Codecs.com | Downloads for ImgBurn 2.5.8". www.free-codecs.com. 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
Download ImgBurn 2.5.8 - without OpenCandy!
- "ImgBurn". www.majorgeeks.com. 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
This is a clean, no OpenCandy version.
- Mennecke, Thomas (2005-11-24). "Macrovision Forces Removal of DVD Decrypter". Slyck. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- "ImgBurn v18.104.22.168 Released!". 2007-02-19. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "Multisession Disk Where is the option??". 2007-02-22. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "How to copy a disc using Imgburn". 2008-03-20. Retrieved 2011-02-12.