New Providence station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The New Providence station in March 2015. The bridge for County Route 512 is in the distance.
|Location||803 Old Springfield Avenue
New Providence, NJ
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 986
|Previous names||West Summit (1899–1927)|
|Passengers (2012)||558 (average weekday)|
New Providence is a New Jersey Transit station in New Providence, New Jersey along the Gladstone Branch of the Morris and Essex line. The original 1899 station, built by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad still stands. New Providence Station is located across from the intersection of Old Springfield Avenue and Division Avenue. Springfield Avenue was rerouted north of the station in 1931. The former segment of Springfield Avenue on the opposite side of the tracks has been turned into an additional parking lot.
The station was originally named West Summit until March 1927, as the borough of New Providence felt there was confusion for not being on railroad timetables. The station rename was granted despite the fact that there was opposition by residents of Summit on renaming the station.
|■ Gladstone Branch||toward Gladstone (Murray Hill)|
|■ Gladstone Branch||toward New York or Hoboken (Summit)|
- "Morris and Essex Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "West Summit Station Renamed "New Providence"". The Bernardsville News. March 24, 1927. p. 1. Retrieved November 18, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1981). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 2. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. p. 755. ISBN 0-9603398-3-3.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Union County Road 512; Springfield Avenue over Gladstone Line (UglyBridges.com)
Media related to New Providence (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons
|This New Jersey train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|