Newhall, Santa Clarita, California
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|Newhall, Santa Clarita, California|
|Community of Santa Clarita|
|Country||United States of America|
|Elevation||418 m (1,373 ft)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP Code||91321–91322, 91381–91382|
|GNIS feature ID||2583151|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Newhall, Santa Clarita, California|
Newhall, also Elayon, is the southernmost and oldest community of Santa Clarita, California. Prior to the 1987 consolidation of Canyon Country, Saugus, Newhall, and other neighboring communities into the city of Santa Clarita, it was an unincorporated area. It was the first permanent town in the valley. The Lyons Station Stagecoach Stop was a few miles away from where the town now stands.
Named after businessman Henry Newhall, Newhall is home to the William S. Hart County Park, featuring tours of the famous silent movie maker's mansion. Newhall is also home to the Pioneer Oil Refinery (California Historical Landmark, No. 72), the oldest surviving oil refinery in the world and the first commercially successful refinery in California. Over the years, Newhall has been the location for many movies, including Suddenly (1954) and Disney's The World's Greatest Athlete (1973).
Newhall was the site of the Newhall massacre, in which four California Highway Patrol officers were shot to death on April 6, 1970, during a traffic stop of two heavily armed career criminals. This led to increased emphasis on officer safety both within the CHP and nationwide.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Newhall, Santa Clarita, California
- SCV History, "Newhall By Any Other Name ... is Elayon."
- SCV History, "Newhall (Elayon), California."
- "Newhall, California Köppen Climate Classification (Weatherbase)". Weatherbase. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Complete History of Newhall". Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society. Retrieved 2004-07-04. (Photos, text, TV shows)
- CHP webpage on the Newhall Incident
- Newhall Information on SantaClarita.com
- Official hub for Newhall history and redevelopment info