Newhall, Santa Clarita, California
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country||United States of America|
|Elevation||1,373 ft (418 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2583151|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Newhall, Santa Clarita, California|
Newhall is the southernmost and oldest community of Santa Clarita, California. Prior to the 1987 consolidation of Canyon Country, Saugus, Newhall, Valencia and other neighboring communities into the city of Santa Clarita, it was an unincorporated area. It was the first permanent town in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Named after businessman Henry Mayo Newhall, Newhall is home to the William S. Hart County Park, featuring tours of the famous silent movie maker's mansion. Newhall is also home to the Pioneer Oil Refinery (California Historical Landmark, No. 172), the oldest surviving oil refinery in the world and the first commercially successful refinery in California. Over the years, Newhall has been the location for many movies, including Suddenly (1954) and Disney's The World's Greatest Athlete (1973). The TV-series The Magnificent Seven was also for the most part filmed in Newhall.
Newhall was the site of the Newhall incident, in which four California Highway Patrol officers were shot to death on April 6, 1970, during a traffic stop of two heavily armed career criminals. This led to increased emphasis on officer safety both within the CHP and nationwide.
- Gene Autry, singing cowboy actor
- Trevor Brown, Major League Baseball player
- Tyler Glasnow, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Andrew Lorraine, Major League Baseball pitcher
- James Shields, Major League Baseball player
- Brady White, college football quarterback
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Newhall, Santa Clarita, California
- Rowan, Terry (2013). The American Western A Complete Film Guide. Lulu Press, Inc. Page 252. ISBN 9781300418580.
- Lyons Station Stagecoach Stop – OHP
- "Newhall, California Köppen Climate Classification (Weatherbase)". Weatherbase. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
-  "Movie Magic in Placerita Canyon" www.scvhistory (society). Melody Ranch history
- Klein, Gary (June 7, 2012). "UCLA's Trevor Brown is Bruins' 'Mr. Everything'". Los Angeles Times.
- Complete Game: The Story of Andrew Lorraine, Part 1 of 3
- Duquette, Jim (January 22, 2015). "Ranking the top five likeliest suitors for Shields". MLB.com.