Night Passage (album)
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||July 12/13, 1980 (#1-7)|
The Complex studios, Los Angeles
June 29, 1980 (#8)
Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan
|Producer||Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius|
|Weather Report chronology|
|Robert Christgau||C+ |
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
Night Passage is the ninth studio album by Weather Report, released in 1980. The tracks were recorded on July 12 and 13, 1980 at The Complex studios in Los Angeles (before a crowd of 250 people who can be heard on a couple of tracks), except for "Madagascar", recorded live at the Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan on June 29 of the same year. The album introduces a new member to the band, percussionist Robert Thomas Jr. Night Passage loses the over-done production layers of some of Weather Report's earlier releases (most notably 1978's Mr. Gone). What is lost in layers of overdubs is made up in solo improvisation in the classic jazz tradition.
"Three Views of a Secret" would be rerecorded for Jaco's solo album Word of Mouth (1981).
Richard S. Ginell of Allmusic gave a four out of five stars review saying "All things being relative, this is Weather Report's straightahead album, where the elaborate production layers of the late-'70s gave way to sparer textures and more unadorned solo improvisation in the jazz tradition, electric instruments and all." Don Heckman of High Fidelity called Night Passage "one of the finest albums Weather Report has ever made".
Night Passage was Grammy nominated in the category of Best Jazz Fusion Performance, Vocal or Instrumental.
|1.||"Night Passage"||Joe Zawinul||6:30|
|3.||"Port of Entry"||Shorter||5:09|
|5.||"Rockin' in Rhythm"||Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, Harry Carney||3:02|
|7.||"Three Views of a Secret"||Pastorius||5:50|
- Josef Zawinul – keyboards, synthesizers
- Wayne Shorter – saxophones
- Jaco Pastorius – fretless bass
- Peter Erskine – drums
- Robert Thomas Jr. – percussion
- Brian Risner, George Massenburg, Jerry Hudgins – engineer
- Joseph Futterer, Richie Powell – art direction
- Nicholas DeVore III, Pete Turner – cover photography
- Ginell, Richard S. (2011). "Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album review, credits & releases | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Christgau, R. (2011). "Robert Christgau: CG: weather report". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 204. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Heckman, Don (February 1981). "Weather Report: Night Passage". Vol. 31. High Fidelity. p. 102. Cite magazine requires
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1475. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album at JazzDisco.org
- "Weather Report". grammy.com. The Recording Academy.
- Weather Report Annotated Discography: Night Passage (1980)
- Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album releases & credits at Discogs
- Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album credits & user reviews at ProgArchives.com
- Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album to be listened on Spotify
- Weather Report - Night Passage (1980) album to be listened on YouTube