|Born||(Hebrew: נילי לוטן)
|Known for||Founder of Nili Lotan Design Studio in New York City|
Nili Lotan is an Israeli-American fashion designer best known as the founder of the Nili Lotan Design Studio, a designer clothing company.
She served for two years in the Israeli Air Force before attending Shenkar Fashion Institute in Tel Aviv. Lotan notes publicly that her early life - growing up of European parents in Israel - and military service have been important influences on her approach to design. Lotan has three children and resides in the Tribeca neighborhood of New York City.
Lotan’s career began in 1980 after relocation to New York City. She subsequently worked her way to the post of head designer at Nautica and Ralph Lauren; having spent years previous perfecting her craft as a senior designer for Adrienne Vittadini and Liz Claiborne.
In 2003, moving on from her corporate design roles, Lotan opted to launch her own collection under the Nili Lotan label. Military-style jackets quickly became Lotan’s trademark at her new company; and the brand has since evolved into producing a full range women’s of clothing for all seasons. Lotan now sells her signature clothing in over 150 stores worldwide.
- Ha'aretz "Up in arms" http://www.haaretz.com/culture/arts-leisure/up-in-arms-1.198022
- Nili Lotan Bio http://www.nililotan.com
- Primal Style Memories http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/fashion/08MOMSWEBONLY.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=&st=nyt
- AK Magazine http://www.nrg.co.il/online/24/ART1/839/065.html
- The New York Observer "Does My Kibbutz Look Big in This? Israeli Designer Channels Hippies for Spring" http://www.observer.com/2009/o2/does-my-kibbutz-look-big-israeli-designer-channels-hippies-spring
- New York Magazine "Nili Lotan Profile" http://nymag.com/listings/stores/nili-lotan/