Gadot in July 2016
30 April 1985 |
Rosh HaAyin, Israel
|Height||178 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Yaron Versano (m. 2008)|
Gal Gadot (/ / GAHL gə-DOT; Hebrew: גל גדות; born 30 April 1985) is an Israeli actress and model. As an actress, Gadot is known for her role as Gisele Yashar in The Fast and the Furious film series. In 2016, Gadot began playing the role of Diana Prince / Wonder Woman in the DC Extended Universe, starting with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and continuing as the lead in Wonder Woman (2017).
Gadot was born and raised in Rosh HaAyin, Israel. In Hebrew, her first name means "wave" and her surname means "riverbanks". She is the daughter of Irit (née Weiss), a teacher, and Michael Gadot, an engineer. Her parents were both born in Israel, and they had Hebraized their surname from "Greenstein" to "Gadot". Her maternal grandparents were Holocaust survivors. Gadot stated that she was brought up in a "very Jewish, Israeli family environment". Her high school major was biology. She says that in high school she was successful at basketball due to her height. As an adult, she started studying law twice at Reichman.
From the age of 20, Gadot served for two years as an enlisted soldier of the Israel Defense Forces. There, she started excelling in a grueling three-month boot camp that prepared her to serve as a combat trainer. She says of her time in the army: "You give two or three years, and it's not about you. You give your freedom away for a while. You learn discipline and respect. The things I've been through as a soldier prepared me to deal with career things as well".
At the age of 18, Gadot won the 2004 Miss Israel competition, and next competed in the 2004 Miss Universe pageant in Ecuador. Following her participation in the competitions, she joined the Israeli Army where, as a citizen of Israel, she completed her two years of mandatory military service.
After leaving the army, Gadot studied law. It was when she had completed her first year of school that a casting director called her to audition for the part of Bond girl Camille Montes in the film Quantum of Solace. Although she lost the part to Olga Kurylenko, the same casting director hired Gadot for the role of Gisele in Fast & Furious. Gadot said, "I think the main reason was that [the director] Justin Lin really liked that I was in the military, and he wanted to use my knowledge of weapons." Gadot performed her own stunts in the Fast & Furious films.
In 2007, the 21 year old Gadot took a part in the Maxim photo shoot "Women of the Israeli Army", and as such she featured on the cover of the New York Post. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her Number 5 on its list of "the 50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world", behind model Bar Refaeli and actress Eva Green. In 2014, Gadot was one of two Israeli actresses, along with Odeya Rush, listed as an upcoming leading lady by InStyle magazine.
She has led international campaigns for Captain Morgan rum, Gucci fragrances and Vine Vera skincare ranges, and advertised Jaguar Cars. She is the face of Gucci's Bamboo perfume brand, of Huawei smartphones, and of Miss Sixty. She has featured as the covergirl on Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Bride Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, UMM, Cleo, Fashion, Lucire, FHM. Gadot has been the main model for fashion brand Castro in 2008-2016. In 2013, her annual modelling salary was estimated at NIS 2.4 million, which was ahead of a number of other famous Israeli models such as Esti Ginzburg and Shlomit Malka, although significantly behind Bar Refaeli.
In 2008, Gadot starred in the Israeli drama Bubot. She appeared as Gisele in Fast & Furious, the fourth film in The Fast & the Furious franchise, having won the role over six other actresses. In 2010, she had a small role in the action-adventure Knight and Day. Earlier that year, she appeared in the film Date Night as Natanya, the girlfriend of Mark Wahlberg's character. 2011 brought her back to The Fast & the Furious franchise, reprising her role as Gisele in Fast Five. In 2013, Gadot played Gisele again in Fast & Furious 6.
Gadot played Wonder Woman in the movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), and is signed for two future sequels which include the Justice League and a solo Wonder Woman film. Gadot received swordsmanship, Kung Fu kickboxing, capoeira and Brazilian jiu-jitsu training in preparation for the role. Gadot's performance as the superhero, which is the first time for the character on film, was hailed as one of the best parts of the film.
Also in 2016, she had a small role in John Hillcoat's crime-thriller Triple 9, where she starred along with Kate Winslet and Aaron Paul, and also co-starred alongside Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones in the poorly-received film Criminal, as the wife of Ryan Reynolds' character. Costner said that the first day he and Gadot met, they filmed a scene in which he was to tie her up and wrap her mouth with tape as a gag. Gadot was also signed on a main role in the comedy film Keeping Up with the Joneses along with Isla Fisher and Jon Hamm.
Gadot married Israeli real estate developer Yaron Varsano on 28 September 2008. The couple owned a luxury hotel in the Neve Tzedek district of Tel Aviv, which they sold to Roman Abramovich in 2015 for $26 million. The couple has a daughter, born in 2011.
|2009||Fast & Furious||Gisele Yashar|
|Knight and Day||Naomi|
|2011||Fast Five||Gisele Yashar|
|2013||Fast & Furious 6|
|2014||Kicking Out Shoshana||Mirit Ben Harush||Israeli film|
|2015||Furious 7||Gisele Yashar||Photo cameo|
|2016||Triple 9||Elena Vlaslov|
|Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Diana Prince / Wonder Woman|
|Keeping Up with the Joneses||Natalie Jones||Post-production|
|2017||Wonder Woman||Diana Prince / Wonder Woman|
|2007||Bubot||Miriam "Merry" Elkayam||Israeli series|
|2009||Entourage||Lisa||Episode: "Amongst Friends"|
|2009||The Beautiful Life||Olivia||3 episodes|
|2011||Asfur||Kika||Israeli series. Season 2.|
|2012||Kathmandu||Yamit Bareli||Israeli series|
|2004||Miss Israel 2004||Winner||N/A|
|2004||Miss Universe 2004||Miss Israel||Participant|
- Israeli fashion
- List of actors who have played comic book characters
- Women in the Israel Defense Forces
- Sivan Kadmi (1 April 2010). "גל גדות" [Gal Gadot] (in Hebrew). Ynet.
- Gadot's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 15 March 2016.
- "Gal Gadot". AllMovie.com. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Fleming, Mike (4 December 2013). "Emerging Star Gal Gadot Set For Wonder Woman In 'Batman Vs. Superman'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Gal Gadot to Play Wonder Woman in 'Batman vs. Superman'". Variety. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- הדוגמניות המרוויחות ביותר בישראל Forbes Israel, June 2013
- Romeyn, Kathryn (9 July 2015). "Wonder Woman Gal Gadot is the Face of Gucci's New Fragrance". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Chatting With 'Fast Five' Star Gal Gadot". The Forward. 2 May 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- Halutz, Avshalom (6 December 2013). "Who is Gal Gadot, Hollywood's next Wonder Woman?". Haaretz. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Entertainment | Features And Reviews". TotallyJewish.com. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- Gal Gadot Is Wonder Woman: "She Is Not Relying on a Man, and She's Not There Because of a Love Story" By Glamour
- Jennifer Cox. "Upclose with Gal Gadot". Urban Male Magazine. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Chatting With 'Fast Five' Star Gal Gadot By Curt Schleier, 2 May 2011
- Wilson, Simone (4 December 2013). "Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: Israeli badass takes on the boys in 'Batman vs. Superman'". The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles.
- Ashley Baylen (12 April 2012). "Top 50 Hottest Jewish Women (10–1) – Page2". Shalom Life. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Israel's Gal Gadot and Odeya Rush get noticed as Hollywood's newest leading ladies By Elia Berger, 8 June 2014, The Jerusalem Post
- "Israeli Fashion Retailer Torn Between Daring Spirit and Need to Please the Masses". Haaretz.com.
- הדוגמניות המרוויחות ביותר בישראל Forbes Israel, June 2013
- "IGN: New Furious Babe". IGN. Newscorp. 4 March 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Gal Gadot: Too fast too furious?". Israelenews.com. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "JUF : Teens : Celebrities : Gal Gadot". JUF. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman: Comics world reacts on Twitter". Los Angeles Times. 5 December 2013.
- Begley, Chris. "Gal Gadot signed a 3 movie deal as Wonder Woman (video)". Batman News. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Kroll, Justin. "'Wonder Woman' Gal Gadot Signs Three-Picture Deal with Warner Bros.". Variety. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- Doran, Michael (27 December 2013). "Gal Gadot Responds To Being 'Too Skinny' for Wonder Woman". Newsarama. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- Russell, Scarlett (27 March 2016). "Wonder Woman reborn: how she stole limelight from Batman and Superman". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Flemming Jr., Mike (5 February 2014). "Open Road Acquires Domestic On 'Triple Nine;' Michael B. Jordan, Aaron Paul, Gal Gadot, Michael Pena Join Killer Cast". Deadline. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Criminal (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (12 August 2014). "Wonder Woman Actress Gal Gadot Joins Kevin Costner in 'Criminal'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "'Criminal' Kevin Costner Tied Up Gal Gadot the Day He Met Her". Moviefone. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "On the Set for 4/20/15: Michael Bay Starts TMNT Sequel, Gal Gadot Begins Keeping Up With the Joneses, Natalie Dormer Wraps Shooting on Patient Zero". ssninsider.com. 20 April 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Yaron Varsano- Wonder Woman actress Gal Gadot's Husband.". December 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Shlomit Tsur (13 April 2015). "Roman Abramovich buys Tel Aviv hotel" Globes
- Denham, Jess (5 December 2013). "Profile: Wonder Woman Gal Gadot is a model, army girl and Fast & Furious star". The Independent. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gal Gadot.|