Ohio State Buckeyes field hockey
|Full name||Ohio State Buckeyes field hockey|
|Home ground||Buckeye Varsity Field|
|University||Ohio State University|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|NCAA Tournament final fours|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|1994, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011|
|Conference Tournament champions|
|Conference regular season champions|
|2001, 2006, 2010|
The Ohio State Buckeyes field hockey team is the intercollegiate field hockey program representing Ohio State University. The school competes in the Big Ten Conference in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The Ohio State field hockey team plays its home games at Buckeye Varsity Field on the university campus in Columbus, Ohio. Since the establishment of the field hockey program in 1971, the Buckeyes have won three Big Ten conference regular-season championships, one conference tournament title, and have appeared in the NCAA tournament seven times. The team is currently coached by Jarred Martin.
Field hockey has been a varsity sport at Ohio State University since 1971. From 1982 to 1988 and again from 1992 to the present, Ohio State has played in the Big Ten Conference. Between 1989 and 1991, the team played in the Midwestern Collegiate Field Hockey Conference. The Buckeyes have won three regular-season Big Ten championships, in 2001, 2006, and 2010, and one Big Ten conference tournament title, in 2001. Ohio State has also made seven appearances in the NCAA tournament, advancing past the first round twice, and once reaching the semifinals, in 2010. The Buckeyes are currently coached by Anne Wilkinson, who is in her 19th season as the team's head coach. Prior to her tenure, Ohio State had previously been coached by Mary Raysa (1971–72), Harriet Reynolds (1973–86), and Karen Weaver (1987–95).
|1976||17–5||.773||–||–||–||–||AIAW 2nd Round|
|1994||14–7||.667||5–5||.500||4th||T3rd||NCAA 1st Round|
|2001||15–5||.750||5–1||.833||T1st||1st||NCAA 1st Round|
|2005||15–7||.682||3–3||.500||3rd||T3rd||NCAA 1st Round|
|2006||15–4||.789||5–1||.833||1st||T3rd||NCAA 2nd Round|
|2009||13–7||.650||4–2||.667||T2nd||T5th||NCAA 1st Round|
|2010||18–5||.783||5–1||.833||T1st||2nd||NCAA Final Four|
|2011||12–9||.571||4–2||.667||T2nd||T3rd||NCAA 1st Round|
Awards and accolades
|Year||Coach||Conference Record||Overall Record||Conference||NCAA Result|
|2001||Anne Wilkinson||5–1||15–5||Big Ten||NCAA 1st Round|
|2006||5–1||15–4||Big Ten||NCAA 2nd Round|
|2010||5–1||18–5||Big Ten||NCAA Final Four|
|3 Conference Championships|
3 Big Ten Championships
|1980||Sue Marcellus||United States|
Ohio State has played its home games at Buckeye Varsity Field since its opening in August 2010. The field's permanent bleacher seating gives it a capacity of 500, and it features an AstroTurf 12 playing surface. Located adjacent to the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, the university's indoor strength and conditioning facility, Buckeye Varsity Field features 3/8" closed-cell perforated foam padding as well as a press box and a scoreboard. The Buckeyes' home field hockey locker rooms are located at the adjacent Biggs Athletic Facility, which also provides the team with a full-service athletic training room. Visiting teams typically utilize the locker rooms at Buckeye Field, the home of the Ohio State softball team.
- "2014 Ohio State Field Hockey Media Information" (PDF). OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Ohio State University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 November 2014. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Buckeye Varsity Field". OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Ohio State University. Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Cite error: The named reference
Martinwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "Big Ten Field Hockey Record Book" (PDF). BigTen.org. Big Ten Conference. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Anne Wilkinson". OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Ohio State University. Archived from the original on 22 July 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "2014 Field Hockey Standings". BigTen.org. Big Ten Conference. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "2014 Big Ten Conference Field Hockey Tournament". MGoBlue.com. University of Michigan. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Three Big Ten teams make 2014 NCAA Field Hockey Tournament". BTN.com. Big Ten Network. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Woody Hayes Athletic Center". OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Ohio State University. Archived from the original on 8 October 2014. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
Media related to Ohio State Buckeyes field hockey at Wikimedia Commons