Across the Field
"(Fight The Team) Across the Field" is the older of two fight songs of Ohio State University. Although the lyrics reference football heroics and was composed by the football team's varsity manager, the song is used by Buckeye teams of all sports. The song first appeared before the October 16, 1915, game against Illinois.
From The Ohio State University Marching Band's original web-site, as given by Nick Metrowsky: "In 1915, OSU student William A. Dougherty, Jr., set out to write the perfect fight song for his alma mater. While Carmen Ohio was already firmly in place as OSU's school song, Dougherty felt that something more exciting was needed for pep rallies and football games. And so 'Fight the Team Across the Field' was born."
It is not played after touchdowns; that distinction is reserved for "Buckeye Battle Cry". It is played as part of the traditional pregame show as well as marching off the field after halftime performances by the band, among other uses.
This song has been adapted by many other universities and high schools in the United States.
Various high schools also use this song as their fight song. While the music is the same, the words are changed to fit the school playing the song (for example, the line "show them Ohio's here" is changed to "show them that Turpin's here." when the song is played by Turpin High).
High Schools that use this song include:
- Alexander High School, Albany, OH
- Barnesville High School, Barnesville, Ohio
- Brighton High School, Brighton, Michigan
- Camdenton High School, Camdenton, Missouri
- Carroll High School (Fort Wayne, IN) in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Chatfield Senior High School, Littleton, Colorado
- Danville High School, Danville, Ohio
- El Cerrito High School, El Cerrito, California
- Elida High School, Elida, Ohio
- Euclid High School, Euclid, Ohio
- Green High School, Green, Ohio
- Herbert Henry Dow High School, Midland, Michigan
- Jackson High School, Massillon, Ohio
- John Marshall High School, Cleveland, Ohio
- Lakeview High School, Cortland, Ohio
- Little Miami High School, Morrow, Ohio
- Louisville High School, Louisville, Ohio
- Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio
- Neuqua Valley High School in Indian Prairie School District 204 in Naperville, Illinois
- Northridge High School, Dayton, Ohio
- North Canton Hoover High School, North Canton, Ohio
- North Royalton High School, North Royalton, Ohio
- Olmsted Falls High School, Olmsted Falls, Ohio
- Reese High School, Reese, Michigan
- Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, Kansas
- Stow-Munroe Falls High School, Stow, Ohio
- Sylvania Northview High School, Sylvania, Ohio
- Tea Area High School, Tea, SD
- Thomas W. Harvey High School, Painesville, Ohio
- Toronto High School, Toronto, Ohio
- Turpin High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Walsh, Christopher (2009). Ohio State Football Football Huddleup, Triumph Books (Random House, Inc.), ISBN 978-1-60078-186-5, p. 86.