Old Head of Kinsale
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||County Cork, Ireland|
|Year first constructed||1853|
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white and black horizontal bands|
|Height||30 metres (98 ft)|
|Focal height||72 metres (236 ft)|
|Range||20 nautical miles|
|Characteristic||Fl (2) W 10 s.|
3 blasts every 45 s|
(discontinued in 2011)
The Old Head of Kinsale (in Irish, An Seancheann) is a headland near Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland. An early lighthouse was established here in the 17th century by Robert Reading. The area is the nearest point of land (11 miles/18 km) to where the RMS Lusitania was sunk in 1915.
The old head of Kinsale was formed by differential erosion. An outcrop of hard sandstone is lodged between two layers of shale. The shale is eroded by marine action at a faster rate than the sandstone. The sandstone anticlines were much more resistant to erosion than the slate filled synclines. Thus over time the headland was formed.
Since the golf course opened, access to the Old Head of Kinsale has been restricted to golfers and guests only, and there has been a long-running campaign for the restoration of public access organised by the Free the Old Head of Kinsale Campaign. This campaign has mainly taken the format of "People's Picnics", some of them involving "incursions" onto the headland and holding the picnics at the Old Head lighthouse.
- Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse Commissioners of Irish Lighthouses
- "Old Head of Kinsale - Reduction in Light Range". irishlights.ie. 26 August 2005. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "Discontinuation of fog signals". irishlights.ie. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- Lighthouses Directory
- "The Old Head Story". oldhead.com. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- , People's Picnic at the Old Head of Kinsale
- , People Power At Old Head of Kinsale
- Courtmacsherry Bay Area Local tourist authority website.
- Lighthouse history
- Old Head Golf Links
- Free the Old Head of Kinsale Campaign
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Old Head of Kinsale Light.|
|This European lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|