One Piece: Burning Blood
|One Piece: Burning Blood|
European cover art
|Publisher(s)||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Release||PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita|
One Piece: Burning Blood[a] is a fighting video game developed by Spike Chunsoft and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. Based on the One Piece franchise, it was released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows. It is the first One Piece video game to be released on an Xbox video game console. It was released in Japan on April 21, 2016, in North America on May 31, 2016, and in Europe on June 3, 2016. The Windows version was released in North America on September 1, 2016, and in Europe on September 2, 2016. The game was not released for Xbox One in Japan.
One Piece: Burning Blood is a fighting game, which features a cel-shaded artstyle, similar to the One Piece anime. The game also features an "advanced battle system", which allows players to perform stronger attacks and block normal attacks from enemies. Similar to the Grand Battle! series, Burning Blood is a 1-on-1 (and up to 9 vs 9) fighting game. It focuses on fighting as well as devil fruit abilities, with Logia users being able to use their powers to avoid damage.
On September 8, 2015, publisher Bandai Namco Entertainment trademarked three names, one of which is Burning Blood. The game was officially announced at Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia's Tokyo Game Show 2015 press conference.
The game debuted at number one of the Japanese sales charts, with 35,496 copies sold on PS4 and 32,682 sold on PS Vita in its first week in Japan. In four weeks PS4 and PS Vita versions sold 104,120 units in Japan.
It currently holds an aggregated score of 66 on Metacritic, indicating "mixed or average reviews", based on 40 reviews. IGN awarded it a score of 6.5 out of 10, saying "One Piece: Burning Blood is a bit too much for the uninitiated, and a bit too little for One Piece stalwarts." Destructoid awarded it 5.5 out of 10, saying " The combat here just isn't that fun, and no amount of colorful anime action will change that." Game Rant awarded it 2.5 out of five, saying "Even the gorgeous visuals created by developer Spike Chunsoft can’t save One Piece: Burning Blood from its biggest flaw, however: most of the time, the game seems dull" Hardcore Gamer awarded it a score of 3 out of five, saying "One Piece: Burning Blood is one of those middle of the road games that makes game reviewers weep...Neither good nor bad, it exists." Famitsu awarded it four scores of 8 out of 10, which equaled an overall score of 32/40.
- One Piece: Burning Blood (ワンピース バーニングブラッド, Wan Pīsu: Bāningu Buraddo)
- Josef V. Parungo, Nicolo (September 29, 2015). "Bandai Namco Announces 'One Piece: Burning Blood' For PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita". International Business Times. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Romano, Sal (September 28, 2015). "One Piece: Burning Blood coming west for PS4, Xbox One, and PS Vita in 2016". Gematsu. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Romano, Sal (September 8, 2015). "Bandai Namco trademarks Burning Blood, Thousand Storm, and Slashy Souls in the U.S. and Europe". Gematsu. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Hillier, Brenna (September 29, 2015). "Of course One Piece: Burning Blood is coming west". VG247. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Ramsey, Robert 27th April 2016, "Japanese Sales Charts: One Piece: Burning Blood Blows Away the Competition on PS4, Vita (http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/04/japanese_sales_charts_one_piece_burning_blood_blows_away_the_competition_on_ps4_vita). Push Square. Accessed 26 September 2016.
- "Media Create Sales: 5/9/16 – 5/15/16". Gematsu. 2016-05-18. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- "One Piece: Burning Blood Metacritic Listing" (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/one-piece-burning-blood). Metacritic. Accessed 1 June 2016.
- Gilbert, Henry, 31 May 2016 "ONE PIECE: BURNING BLOOD REVIEW" (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/05/31/one-piece-burning-blood-review?watch?watch). IGN. Accessed 1 June 2016.
- Andriessen, CJ, 2016-06-19, "Review: One Piece: Burning Blood" (https://www.destructoid.com/review-one-piece-burning-blood-369442.phtml). Destructoid. Accessed 26 June 2016.
- Cooper, Dalton, "One Piece: Burning Blood Review" (http://gamerant.com/one-piece-burning-blood-review/). Game Rant. Accessed 26 June 2016.
- Bohn, Jason, July 1, 2016, "Review: One Piece: Burning Blood" (http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/07/01/review-one-piece-burning-blood/215064/). Hardcore Gamer. Accessed 24 September 2016.
- Romano, Sal, 04.12.16, "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1428" (http://gematsu.com/2016/04/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1428). Gematsu. Accessed 26 September 2016.