Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA|
|No. of offices||25+|
|No. of attorneys||1,000+|
|Major practice areas||Tech, Energy & Infrastructure, Finance|
|Key people||Mitch Zuklie (Chairman)|
|Revenue||$1.16 billion (as of 2019)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Founded in San Francisco in 1863, Orrick was involved in issuing bonds to fund the Golden Gate Bridge construction, shaping the California Corporate Securities Act, and leading litigation surrounding the development of hydroelectric power and water rights in the Lake Tahoe region.
In 2003, the firm added a team from the Venture Law Group (VLG). In 2005 at the expense of the now-defunct law firm Coudert Brothers Orrick expanded its London office and opened offices in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai with Coudert Brothers professionals.
In 2006, the firm engaged in merger negotiations with legacy Wall Street firm Dewey Ballantine; the merger was unsuccessful. The same year, Orrick expanded its Paris office through a combination with Rambaud Martel, a M&A and dispute resolution firm in France.
Also in 2008, the firm admitted almost two dozen partners in its London, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., offices from the San Francisco firm Heller Ehrman, including 27 hired after Heller's Sept. 26, 2008, announcement of dissolution.
In June 2017, Orrick was announced as one of thirty law firms piloting the Mansfield Rule. Created by Diversity Lab, and modeled after the NFL's Rooney Rule the Mansfield Rule is named after Arabella Mansfield, the first woman admitted to practice in the US.
Recognition and rankings
- Law360 named Orrick to its Global 20 list for the sixth time in 2017.
- Financial Times named Orrick North America's most innovative law firm in its 2016 and 2017 North America Innovative Lawyers reports.
- Fortune recognized Orrick as one of its 100 Best Companies to Work For for the fifth consecutive year in 2020.
- The American Lawyer included Orrick among the top 10 firms on its 2017 A-List.
- The American Lawyer named Orrick as Intellectual Property Litigation Department of the Year for 2015." In addition, the firm was one of six finalists for Litigation Department of the Year.
- The Recorder recognized Orrick's California-based employment litigation team as California Labor & Employment Department of the Year for the fourth consecutive year in 2017.
- The National Law Journal named Orrick to its Appellate Hot List for the sixth time in 2017.
- Orrick's London technology team was recognized as the Service Provider of the Year at the 15th annual Investor AllStars awards.
- Orrick was named one of the "50 Best Law Firms for Women" by Working Mother magazine and Flex-Time Lawyers in 2017 for the ninth time. The firm was also named to Yale Law Women's list of the Top Ten Family Friendly U.S. Law Firms for the fifth time.
- Orrick ranked #8 out of 220 firms on The American Lawyer's 2017 Diversity Scorecard.
- Orrick earned a score of 100 percent for the twelfth consecutive year in the 2018 Human Rights Campaign's annual Corporate Equality Index (CEI) and Best Places to Work survey.
- Orrick's summer associate programs were ranked #1 in five markets across the U.S. in The American Lawyer's 2017 Summer Associates Survey.
Orrick was ranked #9 for U.S. pro bono impact and #6 for international pro bono impact by The American Lawyer in its 2017 pro bono rankings. In 2015, Orrick was named to Law360's list of Pro Bono All Stars.
Orrick lawyers provided legal and technical assistance to the Public International Law & Policy Group on public international law issues facing countries in the Middle East aspiring to become democracies, including Egypt, Libya, Syria and Tunisia.
In 2014, the firm launched the Orrick Cares program in celebration of Orrick's 150th anniversary.
On Veterans Day in 2014, the firm announced the launch of the Veterans' Legal Career Fair. The event matches legal employers with lawyers who are veterans, active-duty service members or military spouses.
- Jackson, Dylan (February 10, 2020). "Orrick's Partner Profits Break $2 Million, Firm Posts Double-Digit Revenue Growth". Law.com. Law.com. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- "Orrick Celebrates 150 Years, Including More than a Century in Public Finance". Bond Buyer. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- "Orrick Herrington: Building California's Infrastructure". Bond Buyer. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- Petersen, Melody (1998-04-20). "Donovan, Leisure, Old-Line Law Firm, to Shut Its Doors". The New York Times.
- "More partners leave merged Heller and VLG firm for Orrick". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Coudert Growls at Orrick In Hiring of 11 Partners". Observer. 2005-05-30. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Dewey Ballantine and Orrick Move Closer to Merger | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Then and now: A Dewey timeline". U.S. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Lawyer, The. "Orrick seals merger with Rambaud Martel - The Lawyer | Legal News and Jobs | Advancing the business of law". The Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Orrick to merge with Germany's Holters & Elsing | National Law Journal". National Law Journal. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Debra Cassens Weiss (2009-10-09). "Some Firms Still Seek Laterals—Including Orrick, Set to Hire 27 Heller Partners". The ABA Journal. Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- Randazzo, Sara (2017-06-07). "A Rooney Rule for Law Firms? Project Aims to Promote More Women". WSJ. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "Global 20: Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "Innovative Lawyers - Financial Times". rankings.ft.com. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "Best Companies to Work For 2020". Fortune. Retrieved 2020-03-19.
- "The 2017 A-List | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "Winner, Intellectual Property: Orrick". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Litigation Department of the Year, Finalist: Orrick". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Litigation Departments of the Year, Labor & Employment: Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe | The Recorder". The Recorder. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe | National Law Journal". National Law Journal. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "2017 Winners & Shortlist » Investor Allstars Awards". Investor Allstars Awards. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "The 2017 Working Mother 50 Best Law Firms for Women". Working Mother. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Zaretsky, Staci. "The Top 10 Most Family-Friendly Law Firms (2017)". Above the Law. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "The 2017 Diversity Scorecard: The Rankings | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC's 2018 Corporate Equality Index | Human Rights Campaign". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "City by City: A Regional Breakdown of Summer Associate Satisfaction | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "Ranking the Firms | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "Law360 Pro Bono All Stars Show Dedication To Helping Others - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Orrick Team Builds on Success Fighting Rise of 'Sextortion' | The Recorder". The Recorder. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- [dead link]
- "Albanian family granted asylum after cooperating, years of legal battles - CNN.com". CNN. 2012-05-14.
- Clutter, Crissy. "Orrick organizing clothing drive". WTOV. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Career Fair Planned For Lawyers in Military Service". Legal Times. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "The Case for Pro Bono Support of Social Enterprises". New York Law Journal. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Pro Bono Firm Of 2013: Orrick Herrington - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "People on the move: Perry Teicher – ImpactAlpha". ImpactAlpha. 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe.|