Outlaw Country (Sirius XM)
|Broadcast area||United States|
|Frequency||Sirius XM Radio 60|
DISH Network 6060
|Owner||Sirius XM Radio|
|Class||Satellite Radio Station|
|Website||SiriusXM: Outlaw Country|
Outlaw Country is a Sirius XM Radio channel devoted to outlaw country music, along with various related genres including classic honky tonk, alternative country and roots rock. It is carried on Sirius XM Radio channel 60 and DISH Network channel 6060.
Launched in May 2004 by Steven Van Zandt, Sirius XM Outlaw Country is "a sanctuary for the freaks, misfits, outcasts, rebels and renegades of country music." In 2010, Outlaw Country became the only country music channel to carry the XL label for explicit language.
Current specialty show hosts include:
- Steve Earle ("Hardcore Troubadour Radio")
- Hillbilly Jim ("Hillbilly Jim's Moonshine Matinee")
- Shooter Jennings ("Electric Rodeo")
- Johnny Knoxville and Roger Alan Wade ("The Big Ass Happy Family Jubilee")
- Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale ("The Buddy & Jim Show")
- Elizabeth Cook ("Elizabeth Cook's Apron Strings")
- Dallas Wayne ("Deep in the Heart of Texas")
- Alamo Jones ("The Alamo Jones Show". Formerly "The Cowboy Jack Clement Show")
- Paula Nelson (Daughter of Willie Nelson) ("The Paula Nelson Show")
Former hosts include:
- Fred Imus ("Fred's Trailer Park Bash", Imus died August 2011)
- Don Was ("The Motor City Hayride")
- Jack Clement ("The 'Cowyboy' Jack Clement Show", Clement's sidekick, Alamo Jones, took over the time slot with "The Alamo Jones Show" after Clement died in 2013)
Outlaw Country Cruise
The Outlaw Country Cruise was a cruise on board the Norwegian Jade that featured DJs and artists on the station. The lineup included Blackberry Smoke, The Mavericks, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle & The Dukes, Billy Joe Shaver, Wanda Jackson, Jessie Colter, Shooter Jennings & Waymore's Outlaws, the Joe Ely Band, Carlene Carter, Chris Knight, Dale Watson and his Lone Stars, Ray Benson, Old 97's, Elizabeth Cook, Jim Lauderdale, Drivin' N' Cryin', The Secret Sisters, Supersuckers, Bottle Rockets, The Mastersons, Rosie Flores, Jesse Dayton, Scott H. Briam, Laura Cantrell, Heybale!, Dallas Wayne, Roger Alan Wade, Mojo Nixon, and Buick 6.
The broadcast location for Outlaw Country varies. The Paula Nelson Show is broadcast in the SiriusXM studios on Willie Nelson Blvd. in Austin, Texas. Deep in the Heart of Texas is also broadcast in Austin, Texas. "The Loon in the Afternoon" is broadcast from Mojo Nixon's "shack by the sea" in Coronado, California. The Big Ass Happy Family Jubilee is broadcast in Chattanooga, Tennessee, the birthplace of Roger Alan Wade, one of the show's hosts. Hillbilly Jim's Moonshine Matinee is broadcast from a studio built into a barn, that Hillbilly Jim occasionally implies contains a moonshine still, that he and his cousin Spike have set up in Mud Lick, Kentucky. The Alamo Jones Show is recorded at the Cowboy Arms Hotel & Recording Spa in Music City, USA. The Buddy & Jim Show is broadcast from Buddy Miller's home studio in Nashville, Tennessee.
The station ID is sometimes provided by show hosts and DJs like Mojo Nixon, Elizabeth Cook, Dallas Wayne, Paula Nelson, and Meredith Ochs. Other times it will be provided by artists heard on the station like Dwight Yoakam, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, John Prine, Lucinda Williams, and Steve Earle.. Dialogue will be occasionally be added (e.g. "I ain't gonna kill you kid. You're the only friend I've got" and "I'm not in danger, I am the danger!") Sounds will also sometimes be added (e.g. a falcon screech, a train whistle.)
- sirusxm.com/outlaw country
- The Encyclopedia of Country Music