|District of Përmet|
Map showing Përmet District within Albania
Përmet District (Albanian: Rrethi i Përmetit) was one of the thirty-six districts of Albania (which were dissolved in 2000) that is now part of Gjirokastër County. Its population of 22,029 (2010 estimate) included Aromanian minorities. The district had an area of 930 km². It is in the south-east of the country, and its capital was Përmet.
Despite the limited number of excavations carried out so far, a series of important sites has been identified in the district. The finds attest to the long history of inhabitation in this part of the country. Of special importance is the cave near the village of Bënja, which produced evidence of continuous habitation from the Eneolithic to the Iron Age.[verification needed] Additionally, an important necropolis has been unearthed near the village of Piskova in the upper Vjosë valley. The three excavated tumuli contained a large number of graves and grave goods dating from the Early Bronze Age to the Early Middle Ages.
The District of Përmet has traditionally been renowned for the production of wine and rakı, a beverage of high alcohol content distilled from grape fermentation and traditionally home-made. Geographical features are Dhëmbel, Nemërçkë, Trebeshinë mountains, Vjosë river, and Bënjë hot springs. The town of Permeti is known for its rose and flowery landscapes; also known nationally as "the town of the roses". This small town is famous for its tradition of folk music and it is hometown to Laver Bariu, a renowned clarinet folk artist. The district incorporates Fir of Hotova National Park.
The district consisted of the following municipalities:
Note: - urban municipalities in bold
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS PREFEKTURAVE, 2001–2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS RRETHEVE, 2001-2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Philippe Rekacewicz, The Albanians, a scattered people, Le Monde diplomatique, January 1999
- "Country Studies US: Greeks and Other Minorities". Retrieved September 6, 2006.
- Agjencia Kombetare e Turizmit
- Gërmime të vitit 1983-shpella e Bënjës (Excavation of the year 1983 – the cave of Bënja), “Iliria” 1983, 2, p. 245-247.
- Zhaneta Andrea, "Archaeology in Albania, 1973-83", Archaeological Reports, No. 30, (1983 - 1984), p. 115
- Gloyer, Gillian. The Bradt Travel Guide Albania. p. 127.
- Welcome! – Rate Your Music
- 300 Multiple Choices
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Përmet.|