P&T Architects and Engineers
P&T Architects & Engineers Ltd (P&T, traditional Chinese: 巴馬丹拿; simplified Chinese: 巴马丹拿), formerly known as Palmer and Turner Hong Kong and in Chinese as "Kung Wo Yeung Hong" (公和洋行), is a firm of architects who have designed many landmark buildings in Hong Kong, Shanghai and in southeast Asia.
Based in Hong Kong, P&T claims its roots when architect William Salway set up his own practice on 1 October 1868. Herbert William Bird, a partner of the firm from 1901–28, was also a member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong. Hong Kong public records suggest that Palmer & Turner arose out of Palmer & Bird – a prominent firm at the time whose senior partner was Lennox Godfrey Bird, younger brother of HW Bird.
Notable commissions in Hong Kong include:
- Hong Kong Club Building (second generation, 1897)
- Mountain Lodge (second generation, 1900)
- Victoria Hospital (1903)
- Alexandra House (first generation, 1904)
- Rosary Church (1905)
- Netherlands India Commercial Bank (1906)
- Victoria Theatre (1911)
- No. 27 Lugard Road (1914)
- Rutton House (1923)
- Shek-O Clubhouse (1924)
- Hop Yat Church (1926)
- The Falls (1928)
- St. Stephen's College (1929)
- SCMP Building (1932)
- Pedder Building (1932)
- Ko Shing Theatre (1932)
- Bank of Canton Building (1932)
- War Memorial Hospital (1932)
- Kau Yan Church (1932)
- HKSBC Head Office (third generation, 1935)
- Maryknoll School & Convent (1936)
- Hillcrest Apartments (1937)
- Eu Gardens (1938)
- Marina House (1939)
- Holland House (1939)
- Hong Kong Hilton (1963)
- Standard Chartered Bank Building (1990)
- Hong Kong Science Museum (1991)
Notable commissions in Shanghai include:
- Peace Hotel (1926-9)
Notable commissions in Singapore include:
- Rediffusion Building, Clemenceau Avenue (1948-9)
- MacDonald House, Orchard Road (1949)
- Sandes Soldiers Home, Portsdown Road (1949)
- Odeon Cinema, North Bridge Road (1953)
- Bank of China Building, Battery Road (1953)
Part of P&T building works
Hong Kong Club Building (second generation, 1897)
Pedder Building, Hong Kong (1923)
HSBC Building, Shanghai, Shanghai (1923)
Customs House, Shanghai (1927)
Sassoon House, Shanghai (1929)
Prince's Building, Hong Kong (second generation, 1965)
Jardine House, Hong Kong (1972)
Exchange Square, Hong Kong (1988)
Marks & Spencer, Hong Kong
- Roberts, Jeff (3 June 2009). "P&T Group est. 1868". Construction Week. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "50 years of Hong Kong Institute of Architects: Authorized Architects in Private Practice 1903-1941" (PDF). HKIA Journal (45): 48. 2006.
- "Historic Building Appraisal" (PDF). lcsd
.gov .hk. Leisure and Cultural Services Department. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
The first owner of No. 27 Lugard Road was Herbert William Bird (1872-?), Lennox's elder brother, who bought the land at a price of $2,160 on 27 July 1914 in public auction.External link in
- "International architects P&T celebrate second successful year in Dubai". Al Bawaba (MyWire). 16 May 2006. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "P&T Dubai continues to expand operations". Al Bawaba. 5 February 2008. Retrieved 2009-06-27.