Pagan Love Song
|Pagan Love Song|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Robert Alton|
|Produced by||Arthur Freed|
|Written by||Robert Nathan
William S. Stone (novel)
|December 29, 1950|
Hazard Endicott's arrival changes her plans. He is a school teacher from Ohio who has inherited a Tahiti estate. His first task is to hire a servant and he mistakes Mimi for a native girl, offering her a job. She amuses herself by not telling him the truth.
The estate turns out to be little more than a shack. Endicott also miscalculates an invitation to a party at Kate's, coming in casual island attire to an event with elegantly dressed guests. Mimi takes pity on him and a romance blooms.
- Esther Williams as Mimi Bennett (singing voice was dubbed by Betty Wand)
- Howard Keel as Hazard Endicott
- Minna Gombell as Kate
- Charles Mauu as Tavee
- Rita Moreno as Teuru
Esther Williams realised she was pregnant during the shoot. She claimed she nearly drowned during filming.
The film went $400,000 over budget.
"Sea of the Moon", performed by voice-dubbed Esther Williams, was cut from the released film; this video outtake still survives today.
Howard Keel's song "Music on the Water" was deleted from the released film. The audio pre-recording survives; the status of the video outtake is unknown.
According to MGM records the film earned $2,157,000 in the US and Canada and $1,203,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $108,000. This was considered a relative disappointment for an Esther Williams movie.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Looking at Hollywood Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 07 May 1949: 17.
- David Wayne to Stay for Films Till Fall Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 18 Mar 1950: 10.
- DRATTLER DRAMA IS BOUGHT BY RKO: Studio Acquires 'Miami Story' as Vehicle for Robert Ryan --Author Named Producer Of Local Origin By THOMAS F. BRADY Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 28 Jan 1950: 10.
- HAWAII HAILS CONQUERING HEROINE: Attraction Boom Actors All By JOHN ROTHWELL LIHUE, Kauai, T.H.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 07 May 1950: 116.
- "Sea of the Moon" from Pagan Love Song at YouTube
- Esther Williams performing "Why Is Love So Crazy?" dubbed by ghost singer - outtake on YouTube
- Performances of "Why Is Love So Crazy?" by Esther Willams and Howard Keel on YouTube
- "Music on the Water" pre-recording by Howard Keel at YouTube
|This article about a romantic musical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|