|Papa Kristo Negovani|
Picture of a young Papa Kristo Negovani
Negovan, now part of Florina in Greece, then Manastir Vilayet, Ottoman Empire
|Died||1905 (aged 30)
|Occupation||Teacher, Priest, Publisher|
|Literary movement||Albanian National Revival|
|Notable works||The History of the Old Testament (Albanian: Istori e Dhiatës së Vjetërë), The Destruction of Hormova (Albanian: Prishija e Hormovësë).|
Born in the village of Negovan, now part of Florina in Northern Greece, then Manastir Vilayet, Ottoman Empire, he pursued his secondary schooling in Athens, Greece and later emigrated to Brăila, Romania. There, he came into contact with the Albanian National Revival movement. In 1897, he returned to his native village and worked as a teacher and parish priest.
Negovani transformed his house into a school and taught over one hundred children and adults to read and write Albanian. He preached and said the Divine Liturgy in Albanian, much to the displeasure of the Greek Orthodox hierarchy and was assassinated for his activity on February 12, 1905 by a local pro-Greek band.
Negovani is the author of prose and poetry, including school texts, translations and fables. Among his publications are
- The History of the Old Testament, (Albanian: Istori e Dhiatës së Vjetërë), Bucharest 1889;
- The Destruction of Hormova, (Albanian: Prishija e Hormovësë), Sofia 1904;
- Little Dhonat Argjendi (Albanian: I vogëli Dhonat Argjendi), Costanza 1904;
- Works of the Holy Apostles (Albanian: Bëmatë të shëntorëvet dërgimtarë), Sofia 1906;
- History of Plikati (Albanian: Istorishkronjë e Plikatit), Thessaloniki 1909.
- Stephanie Schwandner-Sievers; Bernd Jürgen Fischer (2002). Albanian Identities: Myth and History. Indiana University Press. p. 55. ISBN 0-253-34189-2.
- Bohdan R. Bociurkiw; John W. Strong; Jean K. Laux (1975). Religion and atheism in the U.S.S.R. and Eastern Europe. Macmillan. p. 397.
- Selim Islami; Kristo Frashëri; Aleks Buda (1965). Historia e Shqiperise. II. p. 274.
- Stavro Skendi (1967). The Albanian national awakening, 1878-1912. Princeton University Press. p. 206.
- Sabrina P. Ramet (1988). Eastern Christianity and politics in the twentieth century. Duke University Press. p. 9. ISBN 978-0-8223-0827-0. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Jašar Redžepagić (1970). Zhvillimi i arësimit dhe i sistemit shkollor të kombësisë shqiptare në teritorin e Jugosllavisë së sotme deri në vitin 1918. Enti i teksteve dhe i mjeteve mësimore i Krahinës Socialiste Autonome të Kosovës. p. 87. Retrieved 29 May 2012.