Parkland High School (Pennsylvania)
|Parkland High School|
|2700 North Cedar Crest Boulevard
Allentown, Pennsylvania, 18104
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Parkland School District|
|Superintendent||Richard T. Sniscak|
|Principal||James E. Moniz II|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||3,194 (September 2014)|
|Color(s)||‹See Tfm› Cardinal Red
‹See Tfm› Gray
|Athletics conference||Eastern Pennsylvania Conference|
|Website||Parkland High School|
Parkland High School is a public high school in Allentown, Pennsylvania that serves students in grades 9 to 12. It is the only high school for the Parkland School District. With 3,194 students in the 2014-2015 academic year, Parkland is the largest high school in the Lehigh Valley.
Parkland High School was formed in 1949 when North Whitehall Township and South Whitehall Township merged to create Parkland Union School District, with Upper Macungie Township joining in 1950. Its predecessor, South Whitehall High School, was housed in the current-day Troxell Building. Parkland used the same facility until a larger building on Route 309 in Orefield was completed in 1954, which served as the high school for 45 years. In 1999, the new and current Parkland High School building on Cedar Crest Boulevard in Allentown was opened due to overcapacity of the second building. The old school was renovated and renamed Orefield Middle School, replacing Troxell Junior High School. When viewed from above, the layout of the current building and grounds closely approximate the shape of the Millennium Falcon, a spacecraft featured in the Star Wars films. School officials claim that the design was not deliberate.
Parkland High School ranked as the number one high school in the Lehigh Valley by standardized test scores for the year 2013.
Parkland has numerous musical groups, including a dance team, orchestral ensembles, choral groups, and a concert band, jazz band, marching band, indoor colorguard, and indoor drumline.
2015 - Into the Woods
Out of fifteen nominations, Parkland received the awards for Orchestra, Costuming, and Leading Actress, as well as a scholarship.
Parkland competes in the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference in District XI of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. Cumulatively among all of its sports, Parkland has secured fourteen Pennsylvania state championship titles.
In 2006, the girls' basketball team captured the PIAA state championship title.
The girls cross country team was the state champion in 2001.
The softball team won the state title in 1975, 1995, 1998, 2009, and 2015. 
The girls' swim team won the PIAA state championship in 2001, 2003, and 2006.
In 2011 and 2014, girls volleyball team captured the PIAA AAA state title.
In 2015, the boys volleyball team captured the PIAA state title.
- Michaela Conlin, actress, Fox's Bones
- Greg DeLong, former professional football player, Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Peter Gruner, professional wrestler known as Billy Kidman
- Daylin Leach, Pennsylvania state senator
- Tim Massaquoi, former professional football player, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Aimee Mullins, actress, World Trade Center
- Chris Renaud, director, Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, The Lorax
- Austin Scott, professional football player, New Yorker Lions
- Donald Snyder, former member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1981–2000, and Majority Whip
- Andrea Tantaros, Fox News political analyst, writer and columnist for the New York Daily News
- Brant Weidner, former professional basketball player, San Antonio Spurs
- Lauren Weisberger, author, The Devil Wears Prada
- Andre Williams, professional football player, New York Giants, and 2014 Heisman Award finalist
- "District Profile". parklandsd.org. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Administration". parklandsd.org. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Parkland High Target Date Extended To 1999". The Morning Call. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- Parkland High School Profile Retrieved on Feb 21, 2010
- Spears, Steve (August 4, 2011). "This high school made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Hibbard, Laura (April 16, 2012). "Millennium Falcon Look-Alike High School Delights 'Star Wars' Fans". Huffington Post. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Parkland High School Profile" (PDF). parklandsd.org. 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- LVIAC Historical Stats.
- "Final 2002 Super 25 Rankings". USA Today. December 24, 2002.
- Macmillan Speakers - Aimee Mullins Bio[dead link] Retrieved on Feb 21, 2010
- "Donald William Snyder (Republican)". Official Pennsylvania House of Representatives Profile. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Archived from the original on 2000-02-01.
- Williams, Andre D. (July 5, 2007). "For Brant Weidner, time in NBA was all too brief: The former Parkland High star recalls his half a season with the Spurs in 1983-84". The Morning Call.[dead link]
- Lauren Weisberg Official Bio[dead link] Retrieved of Feb 21 ,2010