Parliamentary constituencies in Shropshire
The ceremonial county of Shropshire, England (which comprises the local/unitary authorities of Shropshire Council and Telford and Wrekin) is divided into 5 Parliamentary constituencies – 1 Borough constituency and 4 County constituencies. As per all constituencies for the House of Commons in the modern age, each constituency elects one Member of Parliament by the First Past The Post system.
- 1 Constituencies
- 2 Boundary changes
- 3 Recent members of parliament history
- 4 Election results in graphics
- 5 Historical constituencies
- 6 Historical representation by party
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
The following table summaries the five constituencies of Shropshire, with information as per the 2017 general election:
|Constituency[nb 1]||Electorate||Majority[nb 2]||Local authority[nb 3]||Member of Parliament||Nearest Opposition||Map|
|Ludlow CC||68,034||19,286||Shropshire Council||Philip Dunne||Julia Buckley|
|North Shropshire CC||80,535||16,355||Shropshire Council||Owen Paterson||Graeme Currie|
|Shrewsbury and Atcham CC||79,043||6,627||Shropshire Council||Daniel Kawczynski||Laura Davies|
|Telford BC||68,106||720||Telford and Wrekin||Lucy Allan||Kuldip Sahota|
|The Wrekin CC||68,604||9,564||Telford and Wrekin
& Shropshire Council
|Mark Pritchard||Dylan Harrison|
The most recent changes to Parliamentary constituencies by the Boundary Commission for England retain the 5 constituencies in Shropshire, making only small changes to the boundary between Telford and The Wrekin to align with current local government wards. These changes were implemented for the United Kingdom general election, 2010.
|Name||Pre-2010 boundaries||Current boundaries|
Recent members of parliament history
Members of Parliament elected at each general election since 1992 for each constituency in the county. The present-day incumbent MPs are shown in bold.
|Ludlow||Christopher Gill||Matthew Green||Philip Dunne|
|North Shropshire||John Biffen||Owen Paterson|
|Shrewsbury & Atcham||Derek Conway||Paul Marsden||Paul Marsden†||Daniel Kawczynski|
|Telford‡||Bruce Grocott||Bruce Grocott||David Wright||Lucy Allan|
|The Wrekin‡||Peter Bradley||Mark Pritchard|
† Paul Marsden won the 2001 election as a Labour Party candidate but defected to the Liberal Democrats and remained with that party for much of the following Parliament.
‡ The Wrekin was split at the 1997 election, into The Wrekin and Telford constituencies.
Election results in graphics
Timeline of Parliamentary constituencies in the county, with historical and extant (marked by a ‡ symbol) constituencies, by year of creation.
- Bishop's Castle (1584–1832) – a rotten borough; abolished; today part of Ludlow constituency
- Shrewsbury (1290–1983) – became the extant constituency of Shrewsbury and Atcham
- Shropshire (1290–1832) – divided into North and South Shropshire constituencies
- (Much) Wenlock (1290–1885) – abolished; today part of The Wrekin, Telford and Ludlow constituencies
- Bridgnorth (1295–1885) – abolished; today part of Ludlow constituency
- North Shropshire (1832–1885) – divided into Newport, Oswestry and Wellington constituencies; revived in 1983
- South Shropshire (1832–1885) – effectively merged with Ludlow constituency
- Newport (Shropshire) (1885–1918) – became part of newly formed The Wrekin constituency
- Oswestry (1885–1983) – became the extant constituency of North Shropshire
- Wellington (Shropshire) (1885–1918) – became part of newly formed The Wrekin constituency
- The Wrekin (1918–1997) – divided into the extant constituencies of The Wrekin and Telford
- North Shropshire‡
- Shrewsbury and Atcham‡
- The Wrekin‡
The re-organisation in 1997, the most recent major re-organisation of constituencies for Shropshire, meant that the number of constituencies in the county increased from four to five.
Historical representation by party
1885 to 1918
|Constituency||1885||86||1886||1892||1895||1900||01||03||04||1906||08||Jan 1910||Dec 1910||12||13||17||18|
1918 to 1983
|Constituency||1918||20||20||22||1922||23||1923||1924||1929||1931||1935||41||1945||1950||1951||1955||1959||60||61||1964||1966||1970||Feb 74||Oct 74||1979|
|Ludlow||Stanier||I. Windsor-Clive||G. Windsor-Clive||Corbett||Holland-Martin||More||Cockeram|
1983 to present
|Shrewsbury and Atcham||Conway||Marsden||-->||Kawczynski|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in the West Midlands (region)
- List of United Kingdom Parliament constituencies
- Category:Members of the Parliament of the United Kingdom for constituencies in Shropshire
- BC denotes borough constituency, CC denotes county constituency.
- The majority is the number of votes the winning candidate receives more than their nearest rival.
- The local authority which covers the constituency and is responsible for holding a Parliamentary election in that constituency.
- The Wrekin constituency lies part in the borough of Telford and Wrekin and part in Shropshire Council's area, though the greater part is that of Telford and Wrekin and it is that borough council which manages Parliamentary elections there.