Peasants and Workers Party of India
|Secretary-General||MLC Jayant Patil|
|Headquarters||Govt. Kutir, Opp. Mantralaya, VV Road, Nariman Point, Mumbai (Maharashtra)|
|ECI Status||Registered Party|
The Peasants and Workers Party of India (Marathi: भारतीय शेतकरी कामगार पक्ष, Bharatiya Shetkari Kamgar Paksha, abbreviated शेकाप/SheKaP), translation: Bharat ki Kisaan Mazdoor Party; abbr. 'PWPI);is a Marxist political party in Maharashtra, India. The party was founded in 1947, having its roots from the pre-Independence period and has around 1,00,000 members. The influence of the party is largely limited to three districts. The party was founded in Maharashtra by with by Keshavrao Jedhe of Pune, Shankarrao More, Bhausaheb Raut Mumbai, Nana Patil of Satara, Tulshidas Jadhav of Solapur, Dajiba Desai of Belgaum, Madhavrao Bagal of Kolhapur, P K Bhapkar and Datta Deshmukh of Ahmednagar, Vithalrao Hande and others.
Member of legislative council of Maharashtra, Mr. Jayant Prabhakar Patil, is general secretary of the party. The party has 3 MLAs and 2 MLCs. The party has a strong hold on Raigad District as well as party has Zilla Parishad members in 6 districts of Maharashtra, namely, Raigad, Solapur, Nashik, Nagpur, Nanded,and Parabhani)
The student organization of the party is called Purogami Yuvak Sanghatna.
The trade union of the party is called All India Workers Trade Union, All India Insurance Workers Union and its Trade Union Federation is Progressive Workers and Peasants of India. Comrade Janardan Singh is General Secretary of these trade unions and trade union federation. The party has played a very important role in Samyukta Maharashtra Movement under the leadership of Bhausaheb Raut, Uddhavrao Patil, Dajiba Desai. Most important meetings of this movement and coordination took place at the Mumbai -Koliwadi, Girgaum bungalow of Shri Bhausaheb Raut
In the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly election, 2014 at age 88, Ganpatrao Deshmukh of the party won the Sangole constituency for record 11th time with 94,374 votes, defeating Shahajibapu Patil of Shiv Sena by 25,224 votes, while the NCP did not field a candidate against him.http:
Trade Union Leader
- Janardan Singh
- "List of Political Parties and Election Symbols main Notification Dated 18.01.2013" (PDF). India: Election Commission of India. 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Busky, Donald F.. Communism in history and theory. Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Westport: Praeger, 2002. p. 61
- P. K. Ravindranath (1 February 1992). Sharad Pawar, the making of a modern Maratha. UBS Publishers' Distributors. p. 22. ISBN 978-81-85674-46-9. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Gautam Vohra (1992). The New Political Elite. Daya Publishing House. pp. 164–. ISBN 978-81-7035-109-2. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Ganpatrao Deshmukh creates record". The Indian Express. 19 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- "Ganpatrao Deshmukh: Longest-serving MLA in Maharashtra scores a record 11th win". The Economic Times. 19 Oct 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- "http://www.empoweringindia.org/new/constituency.aspx?eid=619&cid=108". External link in