Perseus Books Group
This article needs to be updated.March 2009)(
|Parent company||Perseus LLC - Lagardère SCA|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Key people||David Steinberger (President and CEO)|
Perseus Books Group was an American publishing company founded in 1996 by investor Frank Pearl. It was named Publisher of the Year in 2007 by Publishers Weekly magazine for its role in taking on publishers formerly distributed by Publishers Group West and acquiring Avalon Publishing Group. After the death of Frank Pearl, Perseus was sold to Centre Lane Partners in 2015, a private equity firm. In April 2016, its name and publishing business was acquired by Hachette Book Group and its distribution business by Ingram Content Group.
In January 2007, Perseus Book Group purchased Avalon Publishing Group, the parent company of Carroll & Graf and Thunder's Mouth Press; the purchaser folded both imprints and stopped publishing books under those names in May 2007.
The Perseus Books Group currently has the following imprints:
Before Avalon Publishing Group was integrated into the Perseus Books Group, it published on 14 imprint presses. In 2007, some of these imprints were integrated into the Perseus Books Group, while others folded or were sold to other companies. Perseus also sold one of their imprints in the restructuring process.
Avalon Publishing Group
- Black Square Editions
- Blue Moon Books
- Carroll & Graf Publishers — acquired in 1998, folded in 2007
- Four Walls Eight Windows — absorbed into Thunder's Mouth Press in 2004
- Marlowe & Company — absorbed into the DaCapo imprint
- No Exit Press
- Seal Press
- Shoemaker & Hoard Publishers — sold to Counterpoint LLC
- Thunder's Mouth Press — folded in 2007
Perseus Books Group
- Counterpoint Press — sold to Counterpoint LLC
- Vanguard Press started in 2007, closed in 2012
- Weinstein Books - closed in 2017
- Westview - sold to Taylor & Francis and absorbed into Routledge
Perseus previously owned separate book distribution companies.
- Publishers Group West (PGW), founded in 1976, based in Berkeley, California.
- Consortium Book Sales and Distribution, founded in 1985, based in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Perseus Distribution, founded in 1999, based in New York City.
- Legato Publishers Group, founded in 2013, based in Chicago.
- Millot, Jim (2007-12-03). "Publisher of the Year". Publishers Weekly. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "New Investor for Perseus Books Group". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Natasha Onwuemezi, "Perseus sale to Hachette Book Group completed", The Bookseller, 1 April 2016
- Milliot, Jim (2007-11-01). "Perseus to Buy Avalon; Eyes PGW Pubs". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- Milliot, Jim (2007-05-10). "Perseus Folds Two Imprints, Sells Another". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on 2010-02-17.
- "About Us". Perseus Books Group. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- "Avalon Publishing Acquires John Muir Publications". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2019-01-29.
- "Seal Press Moves Under Da Capo's Purview". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Publishers Look-up Service". Association of American Publishers. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- Farmanfarmaian, Roxane (1998-12-07). "Avalon to Acquire Carroll & Graf". Publishers Weekly. 245 (49): 11.
- Kinsella, Bridget. "Winton, Shoemaker & Co. Buys Counterpoint". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on September 1, 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- "Perseus Phasing Out Vanguard, Making Shifts at Running Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Hachette Book Group Terminates Weinstein Imprint". Publishers Lunch. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Westview Press - Routledge". Routledge.com. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
|This article about a United States publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|