Kadokawa Corporation (51%)|
Hachette Book Group USA (49%)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New York City, New York|
Hachette Book Group USA (US)|
Diamond Book Distributors (international)
Yen Press LLC is an American manga and graphic novel publisher co-owned by Kadokawa Corporation and Hachette Book Group. In addition to their regular book releases, Yen Press produced Yen Plus, a monthly manga anthology (last print issue 2010). The company's varied list demonstrates an interest in publishing a wide variety of Japanese manga, Korean manhwa, and other international content. In addition to translated material, Yen Press has released original series, most notably a manga adaptation of James Patterson's Maximum Ride and Svetlana Chmakova's Nightschool.
Yen Press was founded in 2006 by former Borders Group buyer Kurt Hassler and DC Comics VP Rich Johnson (who left the imprint in the fall of 2008). In July 2007, it was announced that Yen Press was to absorb ICEkunion, a Korean publisher that had been releasing manhwa to the United States. While the manga titles bearing ICEkunion's label would be continued to be sold in stores, subsequent printings would bear the Yen Press logo. Kurt Hassler assured fans, "We plan to pick up all the existing [ICEkunion] titles...We’re going to continue everything, so fans shouldn’t worry. None of these series are going to fall into a void.”
Yen Press had previously stated that it would like to release 30 - 40 volumes within 2008. One of the flagship titles of their original English artists line has been announced to be Nightschool, which would be released by Canadian Svetlana Chmakova, who is known for her Tokyopop title Dramacon.
During New York Comic Con 2008, Yen Press announced that the titles Soul Eater, Nabari no Ou, Sumomomo Momomo, Bamboo Blade, and Higurashi When They Cry would run in their monthly anthology magazine Yen Plus. The first issue debuted on July 29, 2008.
In 2009, Yen Press announced that it had acquired the rights to Yotsuba&! and Azumanga Daioh from their former licensee, A.D. Vision. In September 2009, Yen Press rereleased the first five volumes of Yotsuba&!, in addition to releasing the sixth volume; Azumanga Daioh was rereleased with a newly translated version in December 2009.
On April 11, 2016, it was announced that Yen Press would function as a joint venture between Hachette Book Group and major Japanese publisher Kadokawa Corporation, with Kadokawa owning 51% of the company.
- Beautiful Creatures
- The Clique
- Daniel X
- The Dark-Hunters: Infinity
- Gabby & Gator
- Gossip Girl
- Hollow City
- The Infernal Devices
- Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
- Kitty & Dino
- Maximum Ride
- Milkyway Hitchhiking
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- The Mortal Instruments
- The Night Angel Trilogy
- New Moon: The Graphic Novel
- Reindeer Boy
- Twilight: The Graphic Novel
- Witch & Wizard
- The Wolf Gift
- The World of Quest
- A Certain Magical Index
- A Sister's All You Need
- Accel World
- Another: Episode S/0
- The Asterisk War
- Black Bullet
- Book Girl
- The Boy and the Beast
- Bungo Stray Dogs
- Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
- Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer)
- The Devil Is a Part-Timer!
- Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
- The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria
- Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright-
- Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile
- Goblin Slayer
- Goblin Slayer Side Story: Year One
- Haruhi Suzumiya
- The Hero and His Elf Bride Open a Pizza Parlor in Another World
- I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
- The Irregular at Magic High School
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Familia Chronicle
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Sword Oratoria
- The Isolator
- Kagerou Daze
- Kingdom Hearts: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts II: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: The Novel
- KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!
- Log Horizon
- Magical Girl Raising Project
- My Girlfriend's a Geek
- My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected
- Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
- No Game No Life
- Pandora Hearts: Caucus Race
- Penguin Highway
- Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World
- Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon
- Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-
- So I'm a Spider, So What?
- Sound! Euphonium
- Spice and Wolf
- Strike the Blood
- Sword Art Online
- Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online
- Sword Art Online: Progressive
- The Saga of Tanya the Evil
- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
- Wolf and Parchment: New Theory Spice & Wolf
- Woof Woof Story
- Your Name.
- Your Name. Another Side:Earthbound
- Dystopia (Germany)
- Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears (France)
- Toxic Planet (France)
- W.I.T.C.H. (Italy)
- Y Square (Germany)
- Y Square Plus (Germany)
- "Our Publishers". Diamond Book Distributors. Retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Yen Press Hires Lee, Adds ICE Kunion List - 7/24/2007 - Publishers Weekly
- Koulikov, Mikhail (7 February 2009). "New York Comic Con Yen Press". Anime News Network. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
- "Yen Press » YOTSUBA&! by Kiyohiko Azuma". Yen Press. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "Yen Press to reissue Azumanga Daioh manga". Anime News Network. 1 April 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
- Laura. "Exciting news about the future of Yen Press!". Yen Press. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- ComiXology Digital Platform Adds Yen Press Manga