This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent company||Kadokawa Corporation (51%)|
Hachette Book Group (49%)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New York City, New York|
|Distribution||Hachette Book Group (US)|
Diamond Book Distributors (international)
Yen Press LLC is an American manga and graphic novel publisher co-owned by Kadokawa Corporation and Hachette Book Group. They published Yen Plus, a monthly comic anthology, between 2008 and 2013. In addition to translated material, Yen Press has published original series, most notably a manga adaptation of James Patterson's Maximum Ride and Svetlana Chmakova's Nightschool.
Yen Press was founded in 2006 by former Borders Group buyer Kurt Hassler and DC Comics VP Rich Johnson. In July 2007, it was announced that Yen Press was to absorb ICEkunion, a Korean publisher that had been publishing manhwa in the United States. While the manga titles bearing ICEkunion's label would be continued to be sold in stores, subsequent printings would bear the Yen Press logo. Hassler assured fans, "We plan to pick up all the existing [ICEkunion] titles...We’re going to continue everything, so fans shouldn’t worry. None of these series are going to fall into a void.”
The first issue of Yen Press's comic magazine Yen Plus was published on July 29, 2008. The magazine became online only in 2010 and was discontinued altogether in 2013.
In 2009, Yen Press announced that it had acquired the rights to Kiyohiko Azuma's manga Yotsuba&! and Azumanga Daioh from their former licensee, A.D. Vision. In September 2009, Yen Press reissued the first five volumes of Yotsuba&!, in addition to publishing the sixth volume; Azumanga Daioh was reissued with a new translation in December 2009.
On April 11, 2016, it was announced that Yen Press would function as a joint venture between Hachette Book Group and major Japanese publisher Kadokawa Dwango, with Kadokawa owning 51% of the company.
In 2017, Yen Press launched JY, an imprint for publishing graphic novels aimed towards middle grade readers.
- Beautiful Creatures
- Berrybrook Middle School series*
- The Clique
- Daniel X+
- The Dark-Hunters: Infinity
- Gabby & Gator
- Gossip Girl+
- Hollow City
- The Infernal Devices
- Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
- Kitty & Dino
- Maximum Ride+
- Milkyway Hitchhiking
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- The Mortal Instruments
- The Night Angel Trilogy
- New Moon: The Graphic Novel
- Reindeer Boy
- Twilight: The Graphic Novel
- Witch & Wizard
- The Wolf Gift
- The World of Quest
- A Certain Magical Index
- A Mysterious Job called Oda Nobunaga
- A Sister's All You Need
- Accel World
- The Alchemist Who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life
- Another: Episode S/0
- The Asterisk War
- Banished from the Heroes' Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside
- Black Bullet
- Book Girl
- Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki
- The Boy and the Beast
- Bungo Stray Dogs
- Combatants Will Be Dispatched!
- Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
- Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer)
- The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy
- The Devil Is a Part-Timer!
- The Dirty Way to Destroy the Goddess's Heroes
- Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
- The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria
- Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright-
- Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile
- Garden of Words
- The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt (Hey, How About Treason?)
- Goblin Slayer
- Goblin Slayer Side Story: Year One
- The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody
- Haruhi Suzumiya
- The Hero and His Elf Bride Open a Pizza Parlor in Another World
- The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
- High School DxD
- High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World
- I'm a "Behemoth," an S-Ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl's Pet
- In the Land of Leadale
- I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
- Interspecies Reviewers: Ecstacy Days
- The Irregular at Magic High School
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Familia Chronicle
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Sword Oratoria
- The Isolator
- Kagerou Daze
- Kingdom Hearts: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts II: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep: The Novel
- Kingdom Hearts χ
- KonoSuba: An Explosion on this Wonderful World!
- KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!
- Last Round Arthurs: Scum Arthur and Heretic Merlin
- Log Horizon
- Little Witch Academia: The Nonsensical Witch and the Country of Fairies
- Magical Girl Raising Project
- May These Leaden Battlegrounds Leave No Trace
- The Miracles of the Namiya General Store
- My Girlfriend's a Geek
- My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected
- Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
- No Game No Life
- Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World
- Pandora Hearts: Caucus Race
- Penguin Highway
- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
- Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World
- Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon
- Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-
- So I'm a Spider, So What?
- Sound! Euphonium
- Spice and Wolf
- Strike the Blood
- Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town
- Sword Art Online
- Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online
- Sword Art Online: Progressive
- The Eminence in Shadow
- The Saga of Tanya the Evil
- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
- Three Days of Happiness
- Torture Princess: Fremd Torturchen
- Wolf and Parchment: New Theory Spice & Wolf
- Weathering with You
- Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
- Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina
- Woof Woof Story
- World's Strongest Rearguard: Labyrinth Country & Dungeon Seekers
- You Call That Service?
- Your Name.
- Your Name. Another Side:Earthbound
- Dystopia (Germany)
- Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears (France)
- Toxic Planet (France)
- W.I.T.C.H. (Italy)*
- Y Square (Germany)
- Y Square Plus (Germany)
* - Published under the JY imprint
+ - Serialized in Yen Plus
- "Our Publishers". Diamond Comic Distributors. Retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Cha, Kai-Ming (24 July 2007). "Yen Press Hires Lee, Adds ICE Kunion List". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Koulikov, Mikhail (7 February 2009). "New York Comic Con Yen Press". Anime News Network. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "YOTSUBA&! by Kiyohiko Azuma". Yen Press. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Loo, Egan (1 April 2009). "Yen Press to Reissue Azumanga in New English Edition (Update 2)". Anime News Network. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Fitzgerald, Laura (11 April 2016). "Exciting news about the future of Yen Press!". Yen Press. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Yen Press to Launch JY, a Kids' Graphic Novel Imprint in Fall 2017". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- Ressler, Karen (12 December 2016). "ComiXology Digital Platform Adds Yen Press Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved 4 May 2019.