Phil Spector (film)
|Written by||David Mamet|
|Directed by||David Mamet|
|Theme music composer||Marcelo Zarvos|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||92 minutes|
Phil Spector is a biographical television film directed and written by David Mamet. The film is based on the life of record producer, songwriter and musician Phil Spector, and was released by HBO Films on March 24, 2013, in United States. It stars Al Pacino as Phil Spector, Helen Mirren as defense attorney Linda Kenney Baden, and Jeffrey Tambor as Bruce Cutler. It focuses primarily on the relationship between Phil Spector and Linda Kenney Baden, his defense attorney during the first of his two murder trials for the 2003 death of Lana Clarkson in his California mansion.
- Al Pacino as Phil Spector
- Helen Mirren as Linda Kenney Baden
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mock Prosecutor
- Jeffrey Tambor as Bruce Cutler
- John Pirruccello as Nick Stavros
- Clara Mamet as Paint Girl
- James Tolkan as Larry Fidler
- Natalia Nogulich as Giovonetta Ricci
- Matthew Rauch as Mike
- Linda Miller as Ronnie Spector
- Rebecca Pidgeon as Dr Fallon (and also sings "Spanish Harlem" over the closing credits)
- George Aguilar as Mr. Spector's driver
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for eleven Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries or Movie, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for Al Pacino, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for Helen Mirren, and Outstanding Directing and Writing for a Miniseries or Movie for David Mamet.
The film has also been nominated for two Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie (Pacino) and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie (Mirren) - with Mirren winning.
Pacino was also nominated for the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Movie/Miniseries Actor at the 3rd Critics' Choice Television Awards.
- "Al Pacino's Phil Spector moment: HBO's film still deconstructed". guardian.co.uk. February 5, 2013. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Steve Pond. "HBO's 'Phil Spector' Issues Odd Disclaimer: 'We're Not Based on a True Story'". TheWrap.com. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Brian Lowry. "TV Review: ‘Phil Spector’". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Lloyd Grove. "Phil Spector's Jersey Girl Lawyer: Meet the Real Linda Kenney Baden". thedailybeast.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "Phil Spector - Season 1 Reviews". Metacritic. 2013-03-24. Retrieved 2017-05-12.