Pingus logo on start screen
|Developer(s)||Ingo Ruhnke / Pingus community|
|Release||Version 0.7.6 :
24 December 2011
Work on the game began in 1998. Version 0.6 was released in 2003 for Linux, and featured new levels and a level editor. On February 11, 2006 the game began being ported from ClanLib to Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL). On August 27, 2007 version 0.7.0 (the first version to use SDL) was released. In addition to Windows and Linux, the switch to SDL enabled Pingus to be easily built on other platforms, including Apple's OS X. There was no level editor in the 0.7.0 release. On September 23, 2007 version 0.7.1 was released with a new level editor. On October 31, 2007, version 0.7.2 was released with a set of Halloween-themed levels. There is a Windows 0.7.6 and an Intel OS X binary of 0.7.2 available from the Pingus website. There is a PPC OS X binary of version 0.7.0, while version 0.7.3 contains minor bug fixes that allow the game to work better with the GNU Compiler Collection. The latest version, 0.7.6, adds additional Christmas and Halloween-themed level sets.
Pingus has 55 levels, grouped into 5 level sets, as well as 21 winter-themed tutorial levels. Pingus 0.7.2 introduced 'levelsets', which are lists of related levels; levels in levelsets usually must be completed in order. However, there are many more levels included with the game not accessible from its GUI, some with entirely different graphics.
This game was the first "Game of the Month" by The Linux Game Tome, which has revamped such games as SuperTux, Super TuxKart, and Lincity. Critics were favorable toward Pingus for instance TechGage named Pinugs among the "Top 10 Free Linux games" in 2006. CNN and PC-Welt ranked it as one of the best free games available for Linux. Thinkdigit 2009-05 ranked Pingus among the "Most addictive Linux games". Linux For You September 2009 ranked Pingus 5/5. About.com called it a great game, while acknowledging its debt to Lemmings.
- "Pingus - news". pingus.seul.org.
- Rob Williams (19 September 2006). "Top 10 Free Linux Games". techgage.com. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Discheri, Hans-Christian (2016-06-22). "Die besten Linux-Spiele für Steam, Ubuntu, Holarse, Gog, Shell" [The best Linux games on Steam, Ubuntu, Holarse, GOG, Shell] (in German). PC-Welt.
- Anderson, Lee (December 20, 2000). "Top 10 Linux games for the holidays". CNN.com. Archived from the original on 2004-12-06. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Thinkdigit Magazine 2009-05
- Linux-For-You-Issue-80 in Linux For You (September 2009)
- Haas, Andre. "Linux Game Review - Pingus". About.com. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pingus.|