At left is the former Placid Lake, now the private sleeping car Berlin, still in American Orient Express colors.
|Fleet numbers||1501–1510 (UP)
|Capacity||11 double bedrooms|
|Operator(s)||Union Pacific Railroad
American Orient Express
|Car length||85 feet (26 m)|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
The Placid series was a fleet of ten lightweight streamlined sleeping cars built by Pullman-Standard for the Union Pacific Railroad in 1956. Each car contained eleven double bedrooms. Amtrak acquired all ten from the Union Pacific and operated them into the 1980s; it retired the last in 1996. Several cars remain in private use.
Amtrak acquired all ten cars from the Union Pacific in 1971 and operated them through the 1970s; all but one were retired by 1981. The remainder, Placid Scene, it converted from steam heating to head end power (HEP) in 1984 as part of its Heritage Fleet program, part of a pool of nine 11-bedroom sleeping cars. Amtrak assigned Placid Scene to the revived Auto Train. In 1996 Amtrak sold it to American Orient Express, who renamed it Grand Canyon. There it was reunited with three other of the Placid series: Berlin (ex-Placid Lake), Vienna (ex-Placid Waters), and Placid Bay.
- Strack, Don (March 1, 2014). "Union Pacific Named Lightweight Sleeper Cars". UtahRails.Net. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Simon, Elbert; Warner, David C. (2011). Amtrak by the numbers: a comprehensive passenger car and motive power roster, 1971-2011. Kansas City, Missouri: White River Productions. ISBN 978-1-932804-12-6.
- Orth, Steven (August 2002). "Modeling Corrugated Passenger Cars, Part 2". Railmodel Journal.
- Welsh, Joe (2008). Union Pacific's Streamliners. Minneapolis, MN: Voyageur Press. ISBN 978-0-7603-2534-6.
- Ely, Wally (2009). Auto-Train. Images of Rail. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. p. 104. ISBN 978-0-7385-6785-3. OCLC 606897616.
- Zimmermann, Karl R. (2007). The GrandLuxe Express: Traveling in High Style. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. ISBN 978-0-253-34947-7. OCLC 123136805.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Placid series.|