Ford PowerShift transmission
The Ford PowerShift is a six-speed dual clutch semi-automatic gearbox produced by the Ford Motor Company. The Ford PowerShift gearboxes are built by Getrag Ford Transmissions, a joint-venture with Getrag. PowerShift improves fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent when compared to a conventional automatic transmission.
The operation of a dual clutch transmission is analogous to two traditional manual transmissions, each with its own clutch, operating in parallel and alternating shifts. The Ford unit is a six-speed with one clutch acting on first, third and fifth gear, and the other used for second, fourth and sixth gear. As first gear is engaged, the 2-4-6 clutch is disengaged and the second gear cogs are engaged. At the appropriate time, the 1-3-5 clutch is disengaged and the 2-4-6 clutch is engaged. While in second gear, the other side shifts from first to third. The process is repeated with quick smooth shifts and none of the efficiency loss normally associated with torque converters.
The PowerShift gearbox is a joint development between Ford, Getrag and Luk and was first introduced in Europe. Both Volvo and Ford use wet clutches and hydraulic actuation. However, the new PowerShift gearbox used in the Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus uses dry clutches and electric motor/solenoid actuation. Some have criticized the PowerShift's rough starts and lack of smooth shifting, but Ford has continually released (but not publicized) upgrades to transmission software and firmware designed to address these concerns.
- Ford Focus - International (2008–present)
- Ford C-MAX (2008–present)
- Ford Mondeo (2008–present)
- Ford Fiesta (2010–present)
- Ford S-MAX (2010–present)
- Ford Galaxy (2010–present)
- Ford Kuga (2010–present)
- Ford Ecosport (2012–present)
- Ford B-Max (2012–present)
- Ford Tourneo Connect (2012–present)
- Ford Edge (2016–present), European models with diesel engine
- Ford GT (2016-present)
- Volvo C30 (2008–2012)
- Volvo S40 (2008–2012)
- Volvo V50 (2008–2012)
- Volvo C70 (2009–2013)
- Volvo V70 (2009–present)
- Volvo S80 (2009–present)
- Volvo S60 (2010–present)
- Volvo V60 (2010–present)
- Volvo V40 (2012-present)
Ford has faced class action lawsuits in the United States, Australia and Canada over the PowerShift gearbox as being defective and potentially dangerous in the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta and Ford EcoSport. The lawsuits allege that the PowerShift gearbox "continue to experience the transmission defect, including, but not limited to, bucking, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, and delayed acceleration and lurching."
Ford Thailand agreed to buy back about 200 Ford Fiesta and Focus models with faulty PowerShift transmissions.
- Verve, Focus, Kuka featured at 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show, 2007-09-10.
- Ford starts production of six-speed dual clutch PowerShift transmission, 2010-03-29
- Volvo's answer to DSG goes by the name PowerShift, 2008-01-11
- Ford officially announces dual clutch PowerShift gearbox for 2010, 2009-01-21
- Ford Fiesta Fordvehicles.com