|Body and chassis|
|Class||Subcompact crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
The Ford EcoSport (pronounced ek-ho sport) is a subcompact crossover SUV, originally built in Brazil by Ford Brazil since 2003, at the Camaçari plant. A second generation concept model was launched in 2012, and is also assembled in new factories in India, Thailand, Russia and Romania. The vehicle entered the North American market for the first time in 2018.
First generation (2004–2012)
|Assembly||Brazil: Camaçari (Ford Brazil)|
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||Ford B3 platform|
|Related||Ford Fiesta Mk V|
Ford Fusion (Europe)
|Engine||1.0 L Supercharged I4 (gasoline)|
1.6 L I4 (gasoline)
2.0 L I4 (gasoline)
1.4 L I4 (diesel)
|Wheelbase||2,490 mm (98.0 in)|
|Length||4,228 mm (166.5 in)|
|Width||1,980 mm (78.0 in) (with mirrors)|
|Height||1,679 mm (66.1 in)|
The first generation EcoSport was designed by Ford Brazil Development Center (program code BV226 - AMAZON PROJECT) and was based on the Cologne-built European Fiesta and European Ford Fusion (not to be confused with the North American Fusion midsize sedan). Because of this, the project used the Ford B3 platform.
The EcoSport became one of Ford's best-seller models in Brazil (consistently appearing on the twenty best selling vehicles), Argentina, Venezuela, and Mexico. Its main competitors were the Fiat Palio Weekend Adventure and Volkswagen CrossFox. The EcoSport sold well, and in 2011, sales reached 700,000.
Versions and engines
The EcoSport was available with five inline-four engines:
- Zetec-Rocam 1.0 L gasoline 8v supercharged, 70 kW (95 PS) (discontinued in 2006)
- Zetec-Rocam 1.6 8v gasoline/ethanol, 82 kW (111 PS)
- Duratec 2.0 L gasoline 16v 107 kW (145 PS)
- Duratorq 1.4 L TDCi Diesel, 50 kW (68 PS) (export only)
All models have front-wheel drive with manual transmission as standard. The 2.0 L model can also receive a four speed automatic transmission (FWD only) or four-wheel drive (manual six speed only). In the latter case, an electronically controlled system automatically engages the rear axle when front wheel spin is detected, and also lets the driver manually engage the rear axle from the dashboard.
In the end of 2007, a restyling was introduced, which renewed completely the front to bring it closer to then current Ford pickups, as well as the contemporary Brazilian restyling of the Ford Fiesta, also updated the rear lights, both bumpers, and in the interior showed a new dashboard using better quality materials.
The Ford EcoSport arrived in the end of 2003 to Mexico as a model for 2004. The reception by the public was impressive and continued until 2006. For the model year of 2007, sales of the small SUV began slipping and it stopped being a hot seller. Compared to 15,000 units sold in 2004, only 10,000 units of the model year of 2007 were sold. This trend continued to worsen for the refreshed model year of 2008 due in part to a price increase.
Only 6,345 units of the model year 2008 were sold, and the model year 2009 sales through July 2009 were a mere 2,135 units. Due to decreasing sales, and heightened competition from the Ford Escape, Ford announced that a shortened 2010 model year would be the last sold in Mexico. However, a year later, Ford had announced the new EcoSport to launch in 2012 bringing back the EcoSport to Mexico after a two year absence.
Second generation (2013–present)
2018-present (Canada and USA)
Vietnam: Hai Duong (Ford Vietnam)
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||Ford global B-car platform|
Ford Fiesta Mk VI
Mazda 2 (DE)
|Engine||1.0 L I3 EcoBoost turbocharged (gasoline)|
1.5 L I3 Ti-VCT (gasoline)
1.5 L I4 Ti-VCT (gasoline)
1.6 L I4 Ti-VCT (gasoline)
2.0 L I4 Ti-VCT (gasoline)
1.5 L I4 TDCi (diesel)
|Wheelbase||2,519 mm (99.2 in)|
|Height||1,650 mm (65 in)|
|Curb weight||1,220–1,314 kg (2,690–2,897 lb)|
The second generation of the EcoSport was developed under Ford's global product development process in Ford Brazil Development Center . It was based on the 2011 Ford Fiesta B2E platform and it was launched globally. The second generation EcoSport was first showcased as a concept at the 2012 New Delhi Auto Expo, in India on 4 January 2012. The car was launched in Brazil on 14 July 2012 at a starting price of 53,490 Brazilian real.
Ford showed the production variant of the Ford EcoSport in China, planning to begin sales in March 2013. In addition to China, the SUV is also made at Ford India's Chennai plant, for domestic sale and export initially to the European, and by 2018, the North American, markets. Ford's Rayong plant in Thailand makes the EcoSport for Southeast Asian markets. The Ecosport competes with the Renault Duster and Nissan Terrano.
As of August 2015, Ford's Indian plant had already sold 200,000 EcoSports; 112,000 of which were sold in India while the rest were exported to South Africa, Taiwan, Japan, Australia, and Europe. In November 2016, Ford announced plans to supply the Ford India Ecosport to the market in the United States.
In some countries The EcoSport has a 1.0 l (0.22 imp gal; 0.26 US gal) three cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost petrol engine which has a power output of 120 PS (88 kW; 118 bhp) and 170 N⋅m (125 lb⋅ft) of torque. The engine has Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) which contributes to the turbocharged engine's peak torque starting at 1,300 rpm. The EcoSport can tow up to 700 kg (1,500 lb).
There are the specification differences of wipers:
2012-16 LHD version:Brazilian-built non-standard flat wipers
2016–present LHD version:Standard flat wipers
2012-17 South American LHD version:Brazilian-built non-standard flat wipers
2013–present Indian-built RHD version:Conventional wipers
2016–present RHD version:Standard flat wipers
2018–present South American LHD version:Hybrid wipers with conventional wiper arms
2018–present North American LHD version (Indian-built):Standard flat wipers (butterfly setup)
Engines available include the 1.0 litre EcoBoost developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Center in the UK. It is a turbocharged, cast aluminium block three cylinder made in a 74 kW (99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (118 to 123 hp) version, with the latter delivering a peak torque of 170 N⋅m (130 lbf⋅ft) from 1,300–4,500 rpm and 200 N⋅m (150 lbf⋅ft) on overboost. The use of cast-iron for the engine block instead of aluminium improved engine warm-up time by 50 per cent.
The three cylinder engine design causes inherent vibrations, which are countered by a deliberately unbalanced flywheel, which has less friction than balance shafts.
The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head, reducing engine warm up time. The engine block's height and width dimensions are comparable to an A4 size sheet of paper. This EcoSport version is available in China, Europe, India, the US, but not Brazil. The Brazilian EcoSport has a 1.6 L (0.35 imp gal; 0.42 US gal) petrol engine, which produces 113 bhp (84 kW) and 115 lb⋅ft (156 N⋅m) torque.
The Russian EcoSport comes with two different engines: a 1.6L, which produces 122 bhp (90 kW) and 148 Nm, and a 2.0L, which produces 140 bhp (90 kW) and 186 Nm. The 2.0L version of EcoSport comes as AWD with manual transmission, while the 1.6 litre is 2WD only but available with six speed manual or PowerShift automotive transmissions.
Along with the 1.0 L EcoBoost engine, the Chinese and the Indian market also get a 1.5 L Ti-VCT petrol engine, which produces 108 bhp (109.5 PS, 80.5 kW) and 140 Nm (103 lb.ft). The EcoSport also has a 1.5L TDCi diesel engine that outputs 90 bhp (67 kW, 91 PS) power and 204 Nm (150 lb.ft) of torque at 2000-2750 rpm.
The Ford EcoSport has Ford SYNC driver connect system, a command system codeveloped with Microsoft. It also has airbags, anti-lock brakes (ABS), electronic stability program (ESP), electric power assisted steering (EPAS), and Hill Launch Assist, Traction control System (TCS) and rear parking sensors.
The Indian market was among the first few to receive EcoSport. The car is being manufactured at Ford India's Chennai plant, available in four trims with the choice of three different engine options, 1.0L EcoBoost, 1.5L Ti-VCT and 1.5L TDCi. The engines will be mated with five speed manual, and six speed dual clutch transmission.
At its introduction internationally, it is available in Japan, as the smallest companion to the Ford Kuga and the Ford Explorer. All engines, except the diesel are offered in Japan, with a five speed manual or six speed dual clutch transmission, and optional all wheel drive.
The 1.0 L and 1.5 L engines provide the opportunity for Japanese customers to save on the annual Japanese road tax obligation. The Japanese version has the width dimension slightly reduced to 1,696 mm (66.8 in) so as to comply with Japanese Government dimension regulations to encourage sales.
Ford launched the EcoSport in Europe during 2014, with a limited first batch of 500 units arriving in the first quarter of the year. The announcement was made in September 2013, at the IFA exhibition in Berlin, and the first limited edition versions could be ordered on a dedicated website. After disappointing sales figures in Europe in 2014, during which the Ecosport only sold 11,000 units against over 100,000 for each of its main competitors, the car was revised in 2015, to make it more suitable to European tastes. In March 2016, it was announced that the Ford EcoSport will be built in Romania, at Craiova plant starting from the autumn of 2017, moving production for the European market from the current plant in Chennai, India. This happens on the background of the growing market for the SUV segment in Europe, and will bring an investment of €200 million to the factory.
The EcoSport's 2017 updates were announced at 2016 LA Auto Show, including a revised front end design, and a slightly redesigned rear end. The dashboard has an optional 8-inch floating touchscreen infotainment system that supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Sales of the EcoSport in the US market began in 2018. Early models include the 1.0 Ecoboost three cylinder turbo gasoline engine for FWD models and the 2.0 four cylinder petrol naturally aspirated engine for 4WD models. Both engines have a six speed automatic transmission. The Australian, Canadian and US-market EcoSports, made in India, have the rear mounted spare tire as optional on the base model.
|Calendar Year||Europe||South Africa||India||China||Thailand||Brazil||US||Canada|
- "Ford Motor to launch EcoSport SUV at Delhi Auto Expo". India Today. 5 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Ecosport: SUV Ford made in Romania". Auto Bild. 7 May 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Ford Ecosport Reaches Production Milestone of 700,000 Units in Camaçari". Ford press release. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Tabamo Dinzo (25 March 2013). "Ford Presents EcoSport at Bangkok Motor Show, Is Mum on Pricing". Top Gear Philippines. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Ford Motor Company. "Ford Sollers объявляет об открытии модернизированного завода в Набережнах Челнах и запуске в производство Ford EcoSport" (in Russian). Ford Sollers Russia.
- Ford Ecosport unveiled at New Delhi Auto Expo CarDekho 15 March 2013
- Ford Ecosport launch in Brazil CarDekho 15 March 2013
- "Ford Ecosport". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Muntaser Mirkar (5 August 2015). "200,000 Ford EcoSports in two years – impressive indeed!". Motorscribes.
- "All-New, Fuel-Efficient 1.0-litre Ford EcoBoost Engine for India". Ford press release. 4 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Ford Ecosport Engine CarDekho 15 March 2013
- Ford of Japan Archived 15 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Ford EcoSport Launch Delayed In Europe To 2014". MotorBeam. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014.
- Carscoop Carscoop. "Ford Launches Ecosport in Europe with Limited Edition Model Available to Order via Facebook". Carscoops.
- Nick Gibbs. "Ford revises EcoSport to counter slow sales". Automotive News.
- "Ford to Build EcoSport Small SUV at its Craiova Assembly Plant in Romania Starting Next Year". Ford Media Center. 22 March 2016.
- 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift Unveiled At LA Auto Show; India Launch Next Year
- "Ford's new EcoSport SUV will be imported from India" from USA Today (15 November 2016)
- "Ford Ecosport European sales figures". carsalesbase.com. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Ford EcoSport China auto sales figures". carsalesbase.com. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Ford EcoSport Sales Figures". GCBC. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "India: Market down after 11 years. Honda and Renault Duster voted the Best of the Year". https://focus2move.com. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "Focus2move| India Vehicles Sales - 2014". https://focus2move.com. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "Thailand cars sales report 2014". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- yomzansi (16 February 2016). "Best selling cars in South Africa for 2015". YoMZansi. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Focus2move| India Auto Market in 2015 - All data & statistics". https://focus2move.com. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "Thailand cars sales report 2015". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Focus2move| Brazil best selling cars 2016 - The Top 100". https://focus2move.com. 29 January 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "SA's 10 best selling cars of 2016 | IOL Motoring". iol.co.za. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Focus2move| India Auto 2016 - All Sales Data". https://focus2move.com. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "Thailand cars sales report 2016". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "South Africa's Top-Selling Cars in 2017". Cars.co.za. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Focus2move| Indian Autos Market 2018 - Facts & Data". https://focus2move.com. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "Thailand cars sales report 2017". HeadlightMag.com. Thailand. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Focus2move| Brazil Vehicles Market 2018 - Facts & Data". https://focus2move.com. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019. External link in
- "SA's best-selling vehicles of 2018". BusinessLIVE. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "2018 Thailand B-SUV sales report". Thailand. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "December 2018 Sales" (PDF) (Press release). US: Ford. January 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ford EcoSport.|
|Excursion||Expedition EL/Max||Expedition Max|
|Pickup truck||Coupé utility||Durango|
|Mid-size||Explorer Sport Trac||Explorer Sport Trac||Ranger|
|Full-size||F-Series (all)||F-Series (all)||F-Series (all)||F-150/F-250||F-150||F-150||F-150|
|SVT Lightning||SVT Lightning||SVT Raptor||Raptor|
|Super Duty||Super Duty||Super Duty||Super Duty|
|Van||Compact MPV||Transit Connect||Transit Connect|
|Full-size||Econoline/Club Wagon||Econoline/Club Wagon/E-Series||Transit|
|E-Series (cutaway chassis only)|