Prudence Island Light
|Location||Portsmouth, Rhode Island|
|Year first constructed||1852|
|Year first lit||1823 on Goat Island
moved here in 1851
|Foundation||Natural / emplaced|
|Tower shape||Octagonal tower|
|Markings / pattern||White|
|Focal height||28 feet (8.5 m)|
|Original lens||5th order Fresnel lens, 1852|
|Current lens||9.8 inches (250 mm)|
|Range||6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi)|
|Characteristic||Flashing green, 6 seconds|
Prudence Island Lighthouse
|Architect||H. Vaugh, I.N. Stanley & Brother|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Rhode Island TR|
|NRHP Reference #||88000270|
|Added to NRHP||March 30, 1988|
The Prudence Island Lighthouse, more commonly known locally as the Sandy Point Lighthouse, is located on Prudence Island, Rhode Island and is the oldest lighthouse tower in the state. Sandy Point is nicknamed Chibacoweda, meaning "little place separated by a passage", because the location is a little more than one mile offshore.
The lighthouse was constructed in 1823 and originally sat on a dike off Goat Island farther south in the Bay, where the Newport Harbor Light stands today. In 1851, it was transported to Prudence Island where it remains. It is one of the few lighthouses in the United States to retain its original bird-cage lantern. The light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
The lighthouse keeper's house was swept away in the 1938 New England hurricane, and five people were washed out to sea and drowned, including the lighthouse keeper's wife. The keeper was also washed into the sea, but he was thrown back ashore and survived.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2012. p. 170.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Rhode Island". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Rowlett, Russ (2012-10-31). "Lighthouses of Rhode Island". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Lighthouse History
- RI Lighthouse History of Prudence Light
- National Park Service Prudence site
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in Newport County, Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|