R-1 visa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The R-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows travel to United States for service as a minister or other religious occupation.[1] The institution must be a registered non-profit organization in the US, or authorized for the use of a group tax exemption.[1] The individual must have worked for at least the preceding two years as a member of a religious denomination, and work at least 20 hours a week for the institution while in the US.[2][3]

The maximum initial duration of stay is 30 months, with the exception of those who reside outside of and commute to the US, and an extension may be granted for an additional 30 months.[1] After a total of 5 years, the individual must reside outside the US for a period of one year before reapplying for a visa.[2]


  1. ^ a b c "R-1 Temporary Nonimmigrant Religious Workers". US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
  2. ^ a b Immigration pocket field guide. Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. 2013. p. 49.
  3. ^ "Temporary Religious Worker Visa". US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs. Retrieved 11 October 2016.

External links[edit]