Rainbow Quest (horse)
|Dam||I Will Follow|
|Haynes, Hanson and Clark Conditions Stakes (1983)
Great Voltigeur Stakes (1984)
Clive Graham Stakes (1985)
Coronation Cup (1985)
Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (1985)
|Leading broodmare sire in Great Britain & Ireland (2003, 2004)|
|Last updated on January 3, 2010|
1983: two-year-old season
Rainbow Quest began his racing career at Newmarket Racecourse in August 1983 when he defeated twenty-nine opponents in the El Capistrano Stakes. In the following month, he beat nineteen rivals in the Haynes, Hanson and Clark Conditions Stakes over one mile at Newbury Racecourse. In October, Rainbow Quest was matched against El Gran Senor, Siberian Express (winner of the Prix Morny), and Superlative (July Stakes) in the Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket. El Gran Senor took a lead in the closing stages, but Rainbow Quest cut his advantage back to half a length at the line. In the 1983 International Classification, Rainbow Quest was rated the second best two-year-old in Europe, one pound behind El Gran Senor.
1984: three-year-old season
On his three-year-old debut Rainbow Quest was beaten a short-head by Lear Fan in the Craven Stakes and then finished fourth behind El Gran Senor, Chief Singer, and Lear Fan in the 2000 Guineas. He was then diverted from The Derby to the Prix du Jockey Club, in which he finished third behind Darshaan and Sadler's Wells. He was then sent to Ireland, where he finished second in the Irish Derby, beaten a length by El Gran Senor. In August, Rainbow Quest returned to England and recorded a victory in the Great Voltigeur Stakes. On his final appearance of the season, he contested the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longcamp in October. He was made favourite for the race by British bookmakers but finished eighteenth of the twenty-two runners behind Sagace.
1985: four-year-old season
Rainbow Quest began his third season with an easy win in the Clive Graham Stakes at Goodwood Racecourse in May. He then ran in the Coronation Cup at Epsom Downs Racecourse and recorded a win from Old Country. In July, Rainbow Quest finished second to Pebbles in the Eclipse Stakes and third behind Petoski and Oh So Sharp in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes. On his final appearance, he ran for the second time in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe. He finished a neck behind Sagace but was awarded the race when French horse was disqualified for causing interference.
As a result of irreparable complications following surgery for colic, Rainbow Quest was euthanized on July 7, 2007 at Juddmonte's Banstead Manor Stud near the village of Cheveley in East Cambridgeshire.
|1987||Knight's Baroness||f||Irish Oaks|
|1987||Quest for Fame||c||Epsom Derby, Hollywood Turf Cup|
|1987||Saumarez||c||Grand Prix de Paris, Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe|
|1988||Sought Out||f||Prix du Cadran|
|1990||Armiger||c||Racing Post Trophy|
|1990||Raintrap||c||Prix Royal-Oak, Canadian International Stakes|
|1990||Urgent Request||c||Santa Anita Handicap|
|1991||Rainbow Dancer||c||Hollywood Invitational Turf Handicap, Oak Tree Turf Championship Stakes|
|1991||Sakura Laurel||c||Tenno Sho, Arima Kinen|
|1991||Sunshack||c||Critérium de Saint-Cloud, Prix Royal-Oak, Coronation Cup|
|1992||Spectrum||c||Irish 2,000 Guineas, Champion Stakes|
|1994||Fiji||f||Yellow Ribbon Stakes, Gamely Stakes|
|1995||Croco Rouge||c||Prix Lupin, Prix d'Ispahan|
|1995||Ebadiya||f||Moyglare Stud Stakes|
|2006||Crowded House||c||Racing Post Trophy|
|2008||Colour Vision||g||Ascot Gold Cup|
Rainbow Quest was the Leading broodmare sire in Great Britain & Ireland in 2003 and 2004. Among his daughters' top runners were:
- Rebelline (b. 1998) - won G1 Tattersalls Gold Cup
- Marotta (b. 1999) - won G1 Prix Saint-Alary
- Rakti (b. 1999) - won G1s: Derby Italiano, Premio Presidente della Repubblica, Champion Stakes, Prince of Wales's Stakes, Lockinge Stakes
- Kris Kin (b. 2000) - won Epsom Derby
- Powerscourt (b. 2000) - won G1 Tattersalls Gold Cup, Arlington Million
- North Light (b. 2001) - won Epsom Derby
- Footstepsinthesand (b. 2002) - won 2,000 Guineas Stakes
- Look Here (b. 2005) - won Epsom Oaks
- Elusive Wave (b. 2006) - won G1 Poule d'Essai des Pouliches
- Auroras Encore (b. 2002)- won Grand National
Blushing Groom (FR)
|Red God (USA)
|Runaway Bride (GB)
I Will Follow (USA)
|Where You Lead (USA)
|Raise a Native||Native Dancer|
- Timeform (1984). Racehorses of 1983. Timeform. ISBN 0-900599-40-5.
- Timeform (1985). Racehorses of 1984. Timeform. ISBN 0-900599-40-5.
- Timeform (1986). Racehorses of 1985. Timeform. ISBN 0-900599-42-1.
- "White Horse sculpture given go-ahead by council". www.kentnews.co.uk. KOS Media. 15 April 2010. Archived from the original on 17 April 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- Burnet, Rob, "Rainbow Quest dies after colic complications", thoroughbrednews.com.au, 11 Jul 2007.