||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
19 November 1950 |
|Alma mater||FTII, Pune|
|Spouse(s)||B. R. Ishara|
|Awards||National Award (Best Actress), 1971|
Rehana Sultan (born 19 November 1950) is an Indian film actress best known for her debut role in the acclaimed 1970 film Dastak which won her the National Film Award for Best Actress. A graduate of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, she is also known for another bold role in the film Chetna (1970), which got her typecast thus ending her film career, despite its promising start.
Born and raised in Allahabad to Bahá'í parents, she graduated from high school in 1967, and was selected in the same year to study acting at FTII. After she graduated with a sexy role in Vishwanath Ayengar's diploma film Shadi Ki Pehli Salgirah (1967), she got her break in a feature film in Rajinder Singh Bedi's Dastak (1970), making her the first actress from the Institute to land a lead role in the film industry. She won the National Film Award for her role in that film. In the same year she also played the lead role in the film Chetna which was shot in 28 days along with the shooting of Dastak. That film was about the rehabilitation of prostitutes, and her role changed the portrayal of sex workers in Hindi cinema.
Her sexy roles brought her success but also limited her choice of roles in future films. She had roles in Haar Jeet (1972), Prem Parvat (1973), and the famous political satire Kissa Kursi Ka (1977). In 1984, after starring in Vijay Anand’s Hum Rahen Na Rahen (1984) with Shabana Azmi, she married writer-director B. R. Ishara, who had directed Chetna. She also appeared in a Punjabi movie Putt Jattan De (1981) with Shatrughan Sinha.
- 1970 - National Film Award for Best Actress for Dastak
- 1972 - BFJA Award for Best Actress for Chetna
- 1992 Surajmukhi
- 1985 Aakhri Chaal (TV Movie)
- 1984 Hum Rahe Na Hum as Kalyani M. Sharma / Madam
- 1983 Bandhan Kuchchey Dhaagon Ka as Advocate Thakur
- 1982 Bedard
- 1981 Putt Jattan De
- 1981 Jwala Daaku as Rambhabai
- 1980 Agent 009
- 1980 Sister
- 1979 Aaj Ki Dhara
- 1979 Deen Aur Imaan
- 1978 Nawab Sahib
- 1978 Assignment Bombay
- 1977 Ooparwala Jaane
- 1977 Agent Vinod as Zarina
- 1976 Sajjo Rani as
- 1975 Yeh Sach Hai
- 1975 Zindagi Aur Toofan
- 1974 Albeli
- 1974 Khhotte Sikkay as Rani / Paro Ramdin
- 1974 Ek Ladki Badnaam Si
- 1973 Bada Kabutar as Rita
- 1973 Dil Ki Rahen
- 1973 Prem Parvat
- 1972 Haar Jeet as Kamal
- 1972 Man Jaiye as Suman
- 1972 Savera
- 1972 Tanhai
- 1971 Man Tera Tan Mera
- 1971 Padosi
- 1970 Chetna as Seema
- 1970 Dastak as Salma Ahmed
- "Happy Birthday to Rehana Sultan". ILuvCinema. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Rehana Sultan who was a trailblazing ‘sexy actress’ The Telegraph, 25 November 2005.
- Anupama Chopra (28 September 2011). "Why Silk Smitha is Bollywood's favourite bad girl". NDTV Movies.
- Down the memory lane with Rehana Sultan movies.indiainfo.com, 29 October 2008.
- The Sunday Standard, Bombay, India, 10 June 1973.
- Charge of the FTII brigade Screen.
- Merits - FTII
- Fallen women in Bollywood films Times of India, 26 July 2004.
- "The Illustrated Weekly of India". 92. 1971: 57. Retrieved 9 January 2013.