Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Other names||Akshara, Jinke Mari Rekha|
Rekha, also known as Akshara, is an Indian film actress, who predominantly acts in Kannada films and also appears in Tamil and Telugu films. While pursuing modelling, she made her acting debut in the 2001 Kannada film Chithra and has since starred in over 30 films in various South Indian languages.
Rekha was born and brought up in Bangalore, Karnataka. She did her schooling at the Basava Residential Girls School in Kengeri, Bangalore. She was doing her BBA correspondence course from the University of Madras, while modelling part-time and trying to pursue an acting career. She was eventually signed by Jayashree Devi for the Ramoji Rao-produced college drama Chithra, in which she played a NRI student. The same year, she starred in Huchcha, a Kannada remake of Sethu alongside Sudeep and made her debut in Telugu cinema with Sreenu Vaitla's Anandam, all three ventures becoming commercially successful. and the Telugu film Dongodu featuring Ravi Teja in the lead, while making her Tamil debut with Sabapathy's triangular love story Punnagai Poove. 2003 she also had her first and till date only Hindi release, Mudda with Arya Babbar and was seen in a supporting role in the female-oriented Three Roses that featured Rambha, Jyothika and Laila Mehdin in the lead. She was paired with Ganesh in his first feature film appearance in Chellata as well as in Hudugaata the next year, both emerging commercial successes. After her subsequent releases that year bombed at the box office, she starred in the bilingual Ninna Nedu Repu / Netru Indru Naalai and in Ramesh Arvind's directorial Accident, which became critically acclaimed, while making special appearances in the films Mast Maja Maadi, Raaj The Showman and Yogi. In 2010, she had a single release, Appu Pappu, while her most recent release was Boss, paired with Darshan again. She is currently working on projects such as Prema Chandramama, Jolly Boy alongside Diganth, directed by Sabapathy again, and Thulasi.
|2002||Okato Number Kurraadu||Swapna||Telugu|
|Anaganaga O Kurraadu||Rekha Naidu||Telugu|
|Janaki Weds Sriram||Anjali||Telugu|
|Mudda - The Issue||Sundari||Hindi|
|Preminchukunnam Pelliki Randi||Swapna||Telugu|
|Nenjirukkum Varai||Tamil||Special appearance|
|Hethre Hennanne Herabeku||Jyothi||Kannada|
|2008||Ninna Nedu Repu||Swapna||Telugu|
|Netru Indru Naalai||Tamil|
|Mast Maja Madi||Kannada||Special appearance|
|Raaj the Showman||Kannada||Special appearance|
|2010||Appu Pappu||Deepa Ramesh||Kannada|
|2012||Govindaya Namaha||Sheela||Kannada||Pending—SIIMA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role|
- "Kannada heroines get sexy! – Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 24 August 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Jinkemari is back on Kannada screen – Deccan Herald". Archive.deccanherald.com. 2 May 2004. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Lakhpati hairdo for Jinkemari, News – City – Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror". Bangaloremirror.com. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Prema Chandrama Minus Prem". Epaper.timesofindia.com. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "'Prema Chandrama' Goes to Switzerland". Supergoodmovies.com. 11 August 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Super Admin (29 September 2007). "Rekha is now Akshara". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Rocking time for Rekha – Kannada Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Journalism was my wish – Rekha – Kannada Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- TNN, 20 Apr 2010, 12.00 am IST (20 April 2010). "Rekha heats things up, Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Rekha is not averse to do item numbers". Nowrunning.com. 2 September 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Alumni". Basavasamithischool.org. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "With stars in her eyes – The Times of India". The Times of India. 3 September 2001. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
-  Archived 18 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Times of India Publications". Lite.epaper.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Rekha in 'Thulasi'". Supergoodmovies.com. 23 March 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.