|Traded as||NASDAQ: RENT|
|Founded||Portland, Oregon, United States (1977 )|
|Headquarters||Portland, Oregon, U.S.|
Bill Livek Vice Chairman/CEO
David Chemerow COO/CFO
Jeon Rezvani CIO
Cathy Hetzel Corporate President
Amir Yazdani CSO
|Revenue||US$ 102.9 million (FY 2015)|
Number of employees
|419 full-time; 113 part-time (FY 2015)|
Rentrak Corporation (NASDAQ: RENT) is a global media measurement and research company serving the entertainment industry. Rentrak is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, United States, with additional offices in the United States and around the world.
Rentrak has developed metrics to be used as database currencies for the evaluation and selling of entertainment content across many platforms including box office, multi-screen television, and home video. The company tracks viewing behavior from more than 35 million televisions across all 210 markets. The company is the only company in the industry to provide video on demand measurement, obtained from set-top box data, and is also the sole provider of real-time box office ticket sales intelligence worldwide. Rentrak publishes weekly entertainment charts ranking the top ten in box office, video on demand, DVD sales and rentals, video game sales and TV engagement.
Rentrak began as a nationwide video chain named National Video, which was founded and incorporated in 1977. National Video founder, Ron Berger, developed what is now known as the pay-per-transaction (PPT) system, which allows studios and retailers to lease movie titles instead of purchasing them. The company went public in 1986.
In 1988, facing competition from rival Blockbuster Video, Berger sold the National Video franchise chain and renamed the company Rentrak. Ron Berger later resigned as CEO of Rentrak in 2000. Paul Rosenbaum served as CEO from Sept. 2000 to June 2009, when Bill Livek was appointed CEO. Bill Livek extended his contract, along with the company’s COO/CFO, David Chemerow, to mid-2015 in November 2011.
In December 2009, Rentrak acquired Nielsen EDI, a leader in box office measurement, for $15 million. The deal made Rentrak the sole provider of worldwide box office ticket sales information for studios and industry analysts.
As of July 2015, more than 440 local stations from across 68 station groups use Rentrak's StationView Essentials product for daily media measurement.
Mark Cuban, Internet billionaire, owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks and the HDNet networks, purchased 120,000 more Rentrak shares on Aug 22, 2011 and holds an 8.7 percent ownership stake in the company as of Sep 22, 2011. He has been accumulating Rentrak stock since 2004.
Total company revenue increased 32 percent to $28.5 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015, up from $21.6 million for the same period last year. The company's TV Everywhere™ product line grew 64%, its Movies Everywhere™ product line improved 10% on a constant currency basis, and its OnDemand Everywhere® product line grew 21%.
Total company revenue for fiscal 2015 grew to $102.9 million, up 36% from $75.6 million for the previous year. The company's TV Everywhere™ product line grew 76%, its Movies Everywhere™ product line improved 13% on a constant currency basis, and its OnDemand Everywhere® product line grew 11%.
- "Rentrak Reports Full Fiscal 2015 Fourth Quarter and Year-End Financial Results". Rentrak. May 27, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Rentrak Form 10-K for the period ended March 31, 2015". Rentrak. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Rentrak Cross-Platform Entertainment Rankings - July 15, 2015". Rentrak. July 15, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Rentrak Form 10-K for the period ended March 31, 2015". Rentrak Corporation. 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Rentrak Announces Official Box Office Numbers". PR Newswire. Oct 21, 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "Rentrak Reelz In New Contract". Portland Business Journal. Nov 1, 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "Rentrak Buys Nielsen EDI Consolidating Box Office Reporting Business". Los Angeles Times. Dec 15, 2009. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "Rentrak Weekly Entertainment Charts". Rentrak. Jan 11, 2012. Retrieved Jan 11, 2012.
- "Company Histories & Profiles:Rentrak". Funding Universe. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Investor FAQs". Rentrak.com. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Rentrak's annual report has ups,downs". Funding Universe. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "Paul A. Rosenbaum". Forbes. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "Rentrak Extends CEO Livek Through 2015". MediaPost. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Gunderson, Laura (February 8, 2010). "Portland-based Rentrak posts Q3 loss". The Oregonian. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- "Rentrak buys Nielsen EDI, consolidating box office reporting business". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "Mark Cuban Ups Rentrak Stakes". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved April 9, 2011.